Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2004, 01:28 PM   #1
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Does anybody want to coach Nebraska?

Now that Zimmer has become the third coach to publicly turned down an offer, you've got to think that AD Steve Pederson has got to realize that firing a coach as successful as Solich will make coaches think twice about taking the job.

ESPN is reporting they have now contacted Bill Callahan about his interest. Talk about scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

Maybe Turner Gill will eventually get this job after all.

kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 01:31 PM   #2
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I'll coach there. I'd keep the Wishbone and stop all this mucking around with a more "pro-style" offense. Ball control and defense wins championships, and Nebraska can still win them if they stay true to that.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 01:36 PM   #3
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
I'll coach there. I'd keep the Wishbone and stop all this mucking around with a more "pro-style" offense. Ball control and defense wins championships, and Nebraska can still win them if they stay true to that.

I agree. Right now, they can pretty much cherry pick the best high school option quarterbacks and blocking fullbacks in the country. To a lesser extent, they have a really good chance of getting the best I-back tailback in the country, and run blocking O-linemen, too.

If they try to open up the offense, they will lose that advantage. Three years from now, when the best high school WR in Texas has offers from Texas, OU, Florida, Miami, and Nebraska, why would he pick Nebraska? If they try to go to an open style offense and can't get the players to run it (and it is so competitive to get those players), they will be in a lot of trouble.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 01-06-2004 at 01:37 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 01:42 PM   #4
Samdari
Roster Filler

I'll take the job too. I'll pull a Spurrier, collecting as much money as anyone in my highly paid profession while doing absolutely nothing. Does anyone know any good golf courses around Bugaha?
Old 01-06-2004, 01:48 PM   #5
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by albionmoonlight
I agree. Right now, they can pretty much cherry pick the best high school option quarterbacks and blocking fullbacks in the country. To a lesser extent, they have a really good chance of getting the best I-back tailback in the country, and run blocking O-linemen, too.

If they try to open up the offense, they will lose that advantage. Three years from now, when the best high school WR in Texas has offers from Texas, OU, Florida, Miami, and Nebraska, why would he pick Nebraska? If they try to go to an open style offense and can't get the players to run it (and it is so competitive to get those players), they will be in a lot of trouble.

Exactly, why go from recruiting players that few are fighting for to recruiting the same players that 90% of teams are recruiting for? Nebraska is the best place to play for any option QB and big fullback/O-linemen in the country. They still produce high-drafted NFL players and they still get high exposure TV coverage. If you can't win there then you aren't much of a coach.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 01:49 PM   #6
Suicane75
Coordinator

Damn, i thought the AD had sunk to posting job offers on message boards, and here I was all ready to pack up and move.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 01:52 PM   #7
mckerney
Coordinator

Glen Mason's agent says he's interested.

We can only hope...
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 01:54 PM   #8
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Heh Heh, Mckerney, you've tried to pawn off Glen Mason in every thread on this board about coaching vacancies. Keep trying. It'll work sooner or later.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 02:04 PM   #9
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by scooper
Heh Heh, Mckerney, you've tried to pawn off Glen Mason in every thread on this board about coaching vacancies. Keep trying. It'll work sooner or later.

Yes, though this time he may be interested.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twinci...es/7634125.htm
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 02:23 PM   #10
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Rick Neuheisel is available...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 07:03 PM   #11
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Take Randy Sanders, please.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:04 PM   #12
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

You can have Wanny.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 07:15 PM   #13
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

ESPN had a short list that included Cal's Jeff Tedford. Interesting that a guy can go from looking like he has the potential to be a great coach to interviewing for the head coaching spot at what still has to be regarded as a top notch program in less than a year.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote