Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-25-2023, 10:02 AM   #651
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
That is literally the first I have heard of it. No one even in the announcements I read specified that there was a Tropical Storm. They will usually say the name of the system when announcing these things.
I don't blame ya, idk why exactly Ophelia didn't get any national attention but people at the event I was running merchandise for (NHRA in Charlotte) had been tracking it to make sure it didn't mess up weekend plans too much. Probably mostly because it was always going north/staying east enough it was never a threat to make landfall south enough to kill people, possibly a bit because like Cuervo said they made a huge deal about a complete dud in Lee a week before so nobody cared this time. Certainly seemed like a necessary postponement and a pretty ugly weekend north of us on the coast, glad we just got one outer band overnight Friday but it skirted just north and east enough the event was able to run almost on time. (Not something I'm going to seek out but pretty cool to see up close once, cars do go fast! )
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 12:37 PM   #652
henry296
College Starter

It also didn't get a name until about 12 hours before landfall.
Old 09-25-2023, 02:09 PM   #653
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I don't blame ya, idk why exactly Ophelia didn't get any national attention but people at the event I was running merchandise for (NHRA in Charlotte) had been tracking it to make sure it didn't mess up weekend plans too much. Probably mostly because it was always going north/staying east enough it was never a threat to make landfall south enough to kill people, possibly a bit because like Cuervo said they made a huge deal about a complete dud in Lee a week before so nobody cared this time. Certainly seemed like a necessary postponement and a pretty ugly weekend north of us on the coast, glad we just got one outer band overnight Friday but it skirted just north and east enough the event was able to run almost on time. (Not something I'm going to seek out but pretty cool to see up close once, cars do go fast! )
Would this be a good time to tell you about when my father in law was a drag race where the car came off the track into the crowd?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 03:18 PM   #654
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Would this be a good time to tell you about when my father in law was a drag race where the car came off the track into the crowd?
Better than telling me Thursday! Did hear this one from our tent, (behind the bleachers but right near the starting line and close enough you'd still feel the shaking when top fuel or funny cars went). MASSIVE starting line explosion for Robert Hight - YouTube Luckily the guy is fine, and looking things up sounds like there's only been one fan death at an NHRA one since 1969 (rogue tire in 2010), and no driver deaths since 2010 either which is kinda crazy for how close everything is and how little is separating the crowd from the track, safety has come a long way.
Old 09-25-2023, 04:11 PM   #655
GrantDawg

I'm not sure this was a NHRA event, but it happened in 1969 not too far from where I live now. It closed the track after o
It happened. My wife's brother was supposed to go with him that day, and if he had they might been in the section. Instead her dad was talking with one of the sponsors when it happened. 11 people died and 40 were injured.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 09-25-2023 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-25-2023, 04:18 PM   #656
GrantDawg

Dola: I never heard the cause, but I just read an article about it. A drunk guy was chasing a beer can on to the track when a Funny Car parachute deployed. He was sucked in and killed instantly, and the car veered into the crowd.
That goes to show Porterdale hasn't changed.

Old 09-25-2023, 06:06 PM   #657
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Same, just read one. There's also extremely grainy video on Youtube - don't want to joke about tragedy but yeah a sloped embankment is probably not the best separator for crowd safety.
Old 09-25-2023, 06:21 PM   #658
GrantDawg

I had never seen the video. Crazy. Just to cement the area as redneckville, that place is now a trailer park.

Old 09-28-2023, 11:25 AM   #659
Swaggs
Coordinator

The Pirates will officially finish ahead of the Cardinals for the first time since 1999 and, somehow, it doesn't quite feel as good as I thought it would.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 05:27 PM   #660
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Is anything really gain by allowing check swings? They should just always be a strike. Seems like it’s super controversial, especially when you have horrible umpires like Angel Hernandez.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 05:39 PM   #661
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

The reds decided to play football instead.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 02:51 PM   #662
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

RIP Tim Wakefield
Old 10-04-2023, 06:49 PM   #663
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Turn back the clocks - the Twins are winning playoff games again! Any Pirates fans want to jump on this AL bandwagon?
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 10:03 PM   #664
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How long till we get a 2/7 playoff matchup in the wildcard round? Really enjoyed the last 2 days of games.
Old 10-04-2023, 11:02 PM   #665
MrBug708
Head Coach

Dodgers recent NLDS opponents:

2020: Padres

2021: Giants

2022: Padres

2023: Diamondbacks

This format sucks.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 12:39 AM   #666
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Before the season you coulda got good odds that the Orioles would be the last team from the AL East in the playoffs..
Old 10-05-2023, 08:12 AM   #667
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
Turn back the clocks - the Twins are winning playoff games again! Any Pirates fans want to jump on this AL bandwagon?

Already there!

Also find myself rooting to see Bryce Harper win a championship. I know he can seem arrogant (and maybe he legitimately is), but I love watching him play and put him on that level with LeBron and Shaq as guys that had all the pressure in the world on them, since they were teenagers, and have lived up to expectations without getting in trouble.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 05:52 PM   #668
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Braves making a terrible pitcher look like a Cy Young winner in the post season is a tale as old as time.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 08:41 PM   #669
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Kershaw... sheesh.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 07:32 PM   #670
miami_fan
Coordinator

All right Astros vs Twins. I think I have seen one relatively close playoff game this postseason. I would prefer a Twins win but will take a one or two run game.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 08:01 PM   #671
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

It'd be nice if the Twins didn't have to overcome the Astros and these fucking umpires
Old 10-11-2023, 09:05 PM   #672
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Dodgers get 4.2 innings out of three starters.

THAT is how you do a complete pitching meltdown (granted, it's more like Dodger BlueCross than Dodger Blue at this point but still)
Old 10-11-2023, 09:09 PM   #673
Ksyrup

I took the dogs out and the D-backs hit 4 HR and had a 5th ball reviewed but called foul while I was outside. It's like I crammed a whole weekend of missed soccer goals into one 10 minute HR fest.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-12-2023, 04:54 AM   #674
Flasch186
Coordinator

It was as automatic as bringing in your reliever in OOTP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 09:18 AM   #675
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

In a completely fair system, a team would be expected to win a world series every 30 years

Assuming the Rangers don't win this season, 14/30 MLB teams will have gone at least 30 years without a World Series title (Rays aren't being counted as a 15th team as they've only been around 25 years).

As a Braves fan, it's annoying watching them shit the bed in the playoffs 90% of the time, but I guess it could be worse
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2023, 09:37 AM   #676
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The second longest playoff series win drought goes back to 2005.

The longest is the Reds and it goes back to 1995.

I'll be happy just to see them advance once again before I die.
Old 10-12-2023, 11:55 PM   #677
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
In a completely fair system, a team would be expected to win a world series every 30 years

Assuming the Rangers don't win this season, 14/30 MLB teams will have gone at least 30 years without a World Series title (Rays aren't being counted as a 15th team as they've only been around 25 years).

As a Braves fan, it's annoying watching them shit the bed in the playoffs 90% of the time, but I guess it could be worse

Braves and Dodgers, thats what we do
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 10:59 AM   #678
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I still have PTSD from Game 6 of the 2011 world series between the Rangers and Cardinals
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 01:48 PM   #679
Ksyrup

Old 10-13-2023, 02:04 PM   #680
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

This is my shocked face. :|
Old 10-17-2023, 10:19 PM   #681
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Trying to leg out a triple with 0 outs in a 10-0 game probably warrants a fastball to the thigh.
Old 10-18-2023, 06:14 AM   #682
Ksyrup

He would have been safe if he hadn't tripped himself. And he was a backup. That was a triple. On the flip side of your point, I'm way more annoyed by the number of MLBers who haven't even gotten halfway to 1B before they downshift and glide into 2B without a thought about their hit possibly being a triple.

Triples are one of the more exciting plays in baseball. We should be encouraging players to go for them more often.
Old 10-20-2023, 07:31 PM   #683
miami_fan
Coordinator

I don't know if umpires are taught to do this but I appreciate the umps that will say where the pitch missed if they call it a ball.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-23-2023, 07:16 AM   #684
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Don’t see how Scherzer gets out of the third inning tonight.
Old 10-23-2023, 08:36 PM   #685
Ksyrup

Dusty apparently saving the rest of the bullpen for game 8.
Old 10-23-2023, 09:23 PM   #686
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Whoop
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 09:26 PM   #687
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Don’t see how Scherzer gets out of the third inning tonight.

Called it
Old 10-26-2023, 10:09 PM   #688
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Random thoughts after reading one of Keith Law's books on baseball.

A) I think one of the most amazing things about baseball and its long and storied history is that there are still arguments over baseball history that very few people who saw them play are still living.

(the discussion that triggered that was the 1941 AL MVP Race between Joe DiMaggio and Ted Williams. Despite arguably having the better season (this was the year he hit .409), DiMaggio won the award, because of two major reasons, the Yankees won the AL, and because this was the year of DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak.

B) The other question is only something a true stat-head/sim head would do. We have a dynasty running to determine each franchise's best team of all time, so this is something similar. What year's players would make the best team?

That is, if you made a team of the best players of the year (so, the above 1941 team could have DiMaggio and Williams in their outfield), and normalized them stat wise.
Old 10-28-2023, 07:03 PM   #689
miami_fan
Coordinator

If we don't have the annual MLB thread near the top of the first page thoughout the World Series, the terrorists win. Go Rangers? I guess
Old 10-28-2023, 07:52 PM   #690
Ksyrup

I happen to be in Dallas this weekend. My mom's going crazy during these games and I've seen a ton of people in Rangers gear while out and about.
Old 10-30-2023, 04:36 PM   #691
Atocep
Coordinator

My son was doing his motion capture session at driveline today and the player in front of him was Amed Rosario.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 10:08 PM   #692
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Redemption! Can now watch game 6 of the 2011 series without PTSD. Wish my grandpa was alive to see the Rangers win. He introduced me to baseball listening to games on the radio when we went camping when i was a little kid. We went to the first playoff games in their history against the Yankees in the late 90s.
Old 11-02-2023, 12:17 AM   #693
thealmighty
Pro Starter

Waited 52 years for this, growing-up in FTW and now living in (TooF'in)BigD. Really didn't think I'd ever see this. What a glorious birthday month + a day.

(and I don't care if it is probably the least watched Series ever, either)
Old 11-02-2023, 01:44 AM   #694
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Congrats thealmighty! (and congrats to Nasty Nate Eovaldi.. good to see him get another ring after what he did for the Sox)
Old 11-02-2023, 06:21 AM   #695
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty View Post
Waited 52 years for this, growing-up in FTW and now living in (TooF'in)BigD. Really didn't think I'd ever see this. What a glorious birthday month + a day.

(and I don't care if it is probably the least watched Series ever, either)
You know what you call the winner of the least watched World Series?
World Series Champions! Congrats, and enjoy the win.
Old 11-02-2023, 06:36 AM   #696
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Finally. Long wait.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 07:38 AM   #697
Ksyrup

TV ratings are for Fox and MLB to worry about. I'll start worrying about it when someone walks into my house and changes the channel from the game because not enough people are watching, so I can't either.
Old 11-02-2023, 08:45 AM   #698
cartman
Death Herald

I believe this now makes DFW the fifth metro area to have teams win NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB championships
Old 11-06-2023, 01:18 PM   #699
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So did anybody have Counsell to the Cubs on their bingo card?
Old 11-06-2023, 01:19 PM   #700
Ksyrup

He was going somewhere else, most likely rumored to be the Mets, but I'm not surprised.