Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-03-2004, 04:58 PM   #1
Vikings13
n00b

Does Ray Lewis always have to dance??

The man dances after every insignificant tackle. Ray, we know you're good. Shut the hell up and play some football asshole.

Vikings13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 05:04 PM   #2
Antmeister
Pro Starter

While I am not a Baltimore fan (I am the happy Charger fan), I do agree that it isn't necessary to dance after every tackle, but a lot of players do this. Like Junior Seau. I think the fact that it fires up the team is the only excuse I can see for this, but I must admit that it bothers me too. I mean wide receivers scream when they get a touchdown and they are still down by 30 points with 4 minutes in the game.

Heck if he didn't expend so much energy doing this, he could probaly add another 30 tackles a season.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:15 PM   #3
SteelerFan448
High School JV

Not too mention the announcers not getting off of his jock.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:18 PM   #4
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

It is entertainment. I love that they have emotion. I would hate to see a league filled with players that do there jobs and leave it at that. The things you remember aren't Joe Montana leading his team down the field for a game winning touchdown and then calmly walking off the field, you remember the emotion, what made you jump around like you were there.

I better watch myself, my soapbox is slippery.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:26 PM   #5
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I'm sure it annoys the other team just asmuch as you. Objective accomplished.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 05:33 PM   #6
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

When the Packers play, I dance after every good play.....

but ya, it gets a little old........

and to whoever said the announcers need to get off his jock, its ok, because if Eddie George keeps it up with a "bum" shoulder then they will be sucking his jock, they are well on thier way now
Old 01-03-2004, 05:39 PM   #7
korme
Go Reds

I like the way you move.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 05:39 PM   #8
FBPro
College Starter

It's annoying,.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 05:46 PM   #9
SteelerFan448
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by Cringer
When the Packers play, I dance after every good play.....

but ya, it gets a little old........

and to whoever said the announcers need to get off his jock, its ok, because if Eddie George keeps it up with a "bum" shoulder then they will be sucking his jock, they are well on thier way now

At least we aren't hearing how 'tough' McNair is for getting injured all the time...yet.
Old 01-03-2004, 05:59 PM   #10
BucDawg40
H.S. Freshman Team

Thumbs down

pro athletes = fecal matter
BucDawg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 06:02 PM   #11
JW
College Prospect

Yep, emotion. Your team is down by 30 points. It is late in the 4th quarter. You're playing DB. Your man hasa been beating you like a drum all day long. Your man beats you really bad again on the slant, makes the catch, makes the first down, and THEN you make the tackle. So, if you're in the NFL, what do you do: Why of course you get up, trash talk the wideout who just beat you, pose, and dance. Yeah, emotion.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 06:41 PM   #12
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

he's not dancing now is he?
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 07:07 PM   #13
FBPro
College Starter

I was hoping he'd start dancing after the TN FG.......
Old 01-03-2004, 07:21 PM   #14
TroyF
Coordinator

Funny game. I knew Baltimore would be in trouble if they couldn't throw on the early downs. No way was Lewis going to run on that defense unless they were able to loosen them up with early passes. There was also no way they were going to pick up a lot of third downs against Tennessee.

Now, McNair playing below average and the Titans gashing the Ravens D-Line for 165 yards? I never would have guessed it.

Not a good win for the rest of the AFC. The Titans are going to be a TOUGH out. New England either gets Denver or Tennessee in next week. . . that'll be an epic game.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 11:01 PM   #15
tucker342
Pro Starter

Re: Does Ray Lewis always have to dance??

Quote:
Originally posted by Vikings13
The man dances after every insignificant tackle. Ray, we know you're good. Shut the hell up and play some football asshole.

Every player on defense does that. It doesn't matter if their team is down 52-0, they'll still celebrate after a tackle. It's annoying as hell....
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 11:10 PM   #16
FBPro
College Starter

Annoying and stupid, I mean it's fine if they do it when they make a huge stop or key play, etc...but every friggin time. It was refreshing to see when Kearse or one of the other Titans would make a play, just get back up and go to the huddle.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:17 PM   #17
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Maybe the camera crews should stop showing these guys do it....I mean if they want to celebrate a tackle down by 20 points, let em.....just dont make us watch.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 11:40 PM   #18
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I suggest we all start acting like ray lewis at work... Finish a report.. Do a dance.. fix a problem.. do a dance. going off to lunch.. do a dance...

But i guess ray lewis has plenty of time to dance now :P
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2004, 11:52 PM   #19
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wonder if Ray Lewis did a celebration dance after his boys stabbed and killed that guy.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:21 AM   #20
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by stevew
I wonder if Ray Lewis did a celebration dance after his boys stabbed and killed that guy.

wow.

finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 12:27 AM   #21
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Obviously,

This annoys you guys and your just watching. Do you think it annoys the hell out of the people he tackles? Maybe gets them out of their game cause they are too focused on being pissed at him? Good thing?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 12:32 AM   #22
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Did anyone see that Ray Lewis TV FUnhouse episode on SNL a few weeks ago......FUNNY AS HELL
Old 01-04-2004, 12:36 AM   #23
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Did anyone see that Ray Lewis TV FUnhouse episode on SNL a few weeks ago......FUNNY AS HELL

probably a re-run.. you're talking about the Disney animated movie right? It really is some seriously funny stuff.

"I didn't see nuthin!"
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 12:52 AM   #24
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Ah Snap! I didn't kill no mutherf**kin' lion!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 03:19 AM   #25
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Agreed, I swear, sometimes the announcers should wear "Official Fanboy" T-Shirts or something.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 10:32 AM   #26
Butter
Coordinator

If nothing else, that Ray Lewis Disney skit brought "Oh Snap!" back into my vocabulary. Couple that with the occasional "Wha' happened?", and I can consistently crack myself up. Which is important.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:03 AM   #27
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by The Afoci
It is entertainment. I love that they have emotion. I would hate to see a league filled with players that do there jobs and leave it at that. The things you remember aren't Joe Montana leading his team down the field for a game winning touchdown and then calmly walking off the field, you remember the emotion, what made you jump around like you were there.

I better watch myself, my soapbox is slippery.

Sure, I remember the emotion displayed after a big play, in a big game, when the play matters!

When you are losing 30-0 and you sack the QB, there is no reason to show emotion. You're still getting your ass kicked. When you hit a 3 at the buzzer to end the 69 game home winning streak of the best team in the country, then show all of the emotion you want.

What good did all of Ray's dancing due on that 3rd down play when he missed the tackle of Eddie George that would have made it 4th and 5? That first down continued the game winning drive.

All of this dancing, Sharpies, and cell phone nonsense is all about individualism and nothing about the team.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 11:42 AM   #28
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It's so that he can worship his Lord, Satan, who gave him all those superhuman powers in playing football .
Old 01-05-2004, 11:47 AM   #29
Daimyo
College Starter

I don't mind the celebrating... yeah its annoying, but with Tivo I can usually just speed through it anyway. The thing that bugs me is how the announcers mention his name on every single play... There were times when he was the third guy to touch the offensive player on a tackle and they still praise him for making a big play. I wonder if the official score keepers are also that loose with all the tackles he is credited for.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 11:53 AM   #30
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

That herky-jerky dance he does reminds of Elaine's dancing from Seinfeld.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 11:57 AM   #31
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
That herky-jerky dance he does reminds of Elaine's dancing from Seinfeld.

Ray Lewis is the bad boy...chicks dig the bad boy...
Old 01-05-2004, 12:10 PM   #32
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

You, sir, have made me proud. Nice work. Somewhere in the middle of all the praise, they should take the time to reflect on the fact that we was involved in a homicide.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 12:13 PM   #33
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
You, sir, have made me proud. Nice work. Somewhere in the middle of all the praise, they should take the time to reflect on the fact that we was involved in a homicide.

True but he has made some changes and seems to have turned it around from that point...

He dances but there is no denying the passion and serious approach to the game he has. What other player raises the level of his team and the opposing team? Eddie George was a new runner going against him Saturday...
Old 01-05-2004, 12:17 PM   #34
Kodos
Resident Alien

I, too, think he is a great linebacker. He just happens to suck as a human being.

I don't care if he has changed his ways. The dead guy is still dead.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 12:19 PM   #35
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
I, too, think he is a great linebacker. He just happens to suck as a human being.

I don't care if he has changed his ways. The dead guy is still dead.

I don't know the man personally but his major crime was putting himself in a bad situation and then not spilling the beans on his friends. Agreed he kept some shady company but that's about it...
Old 01-05-2004, 01:06 PM   #36
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Anxiety
Agreed, I swear, sometimes the announcers should wear "Official Fanboy" T-Shirts or something.

-Anxiety

My favorite announcer moment was when Eddie George runs to the outside, plants his hand in Lewis's chest, and drives that bad boy linebacker into the turf. The announcers start right in on how Lewis got the better of George on the play, saying "George got up asking for more". BS! George stood up and asked Lewis how he liked that shot. Sometimes I wonder if the announcers are watching the same game the rest of us are.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 11:53 AM   #37
Passacaglia
Coordinator

What about before the game started? They showed Lewis coming on to the field, and he danced for SOOO long! He looked like a pro wrestler out there!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 11:57 AM   #38
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Passacaglia
What about before the game started? They showed Lewis coming on to the field, and he danced for SOOO long! He looked like a pro wrestler out there!

Funny you should mention that. I asked my roommate if it was a wrestling match or a football game after we saw that.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 01:39 PM   #39
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally posted by rkmsuf
What other player raises the level of ..... the opposing team?

Umm, just to clarify, raising the level of play of the other team is a BAD thing. Making other teams want to beat you even more actually hurts your team.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:41 PM   #40
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari
Umm, just to clarify, raising the level of play of the other team is a BAD thing. Making other teams want to beat you even more actually hurts your team.

Sure but it is amazing that he alone can impact the attitude of the opposition just by his play. Usually you need bulletin board material to do that of which you never see out of Lewis...

Also the quote was his team and the opposing team...

Last edited by rkmsuf : 01-06-2004 at 01:42 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 01:45 PM   #41
Samdari
Roster Filler

Did not mean to take that out of context, but only half of that sentence was Ray doing a bad thing. The way he plays the game, and the way he leads/inspires/improves his teammates is amazing. I do feel the dancing is like visual, in-your-face bulletin board material and hurts the team.
Old 01-06-2004, 01:48 PM   #42
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Samdari
Did not mean to take that out of context, but only half of that sentence was Ray doing a bad thing. The way he plays the game, and the way he leads/inspires/improves his teammates is amazing. I do feel the dancing is like visual, in-your-face bulletin board material and hurts the team.

Could be. He certainly gets the most out of his time out there...
Old 01-06-2004, 01:53 PM   #43
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by rkmsuf
I don't know the man personally but his major crime was putting himself in a bad situation and then not spilling the beans on his friends. Agreed he kept some shady company but that's about it...

Also known as obstruction of justice in a homicide investigation.

I want some running back one day to ride him into the endzone a'la Brian Bozworth and then after the game to claim that he is stronger than justice because Ray Lewis couldn't obstruct him.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 01:59 PM   #44
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by albionmoonlight
Also known as obstruction of justice in a homicide investigation.

I want some running back one day to ride him into the endzone a'la Brian Bozworth and then after the game to claim that he is stronger than justice because Ray Lewis couldn't obstruct him.

Well he did face the music for that. The only issue I have is jumping to "sucking as a human being" and those who are quick to claim he is a murderer.

He's been shady no doubt but has by all accounts changed those ways to some degree...
Old 01-07-2004, 07:29 AM   #45
miami_fan
Coordinator

Everybody watching that game, whether they loved it or hated it had an opinion on Ray Lewis. He has turned himself into a media darling endorsing products that we rush out and buy. Ray Lewis dances and does his thing to draw attention to himself. Whether the attention is good or bad is irrelevent. It is the attention that is important. And what do we give him? Attention. We focus our attention off the team or teams playing on the field and place them on the individuals.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote