Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-07-2004, 09:05 AM   #1
Fido
High School Varsity

NFL Scheduling

Thinking about what to do fro my next utility (even though my current one isn't complete) now that 3ric has stolen my idea . I was toying with the idea of a schedule generator which would create yearly dynamic schedules like is done in the NFL and would further allow the user to make changes to the schedule.

I found teh basic rules:
• Each team plays home and away against its three division opponents, which accounts for six games on the schedule.

• Each team plays four teams from another division within its conference on a rotating three-year cycle, which accounts for four more games.

• Each team plays four teams from a division in the other conference on a rotating four-year cycle, which accounts for another four games.

• Each team plays two intraconference games based on the prior year's standings. For example, the first-place team in a division will play against the first-place team from another division within the same conference. The second place team in a division will play against the second-place team from another division within the same conference, etc...

But I was unable to find any rules governing Bye weeks. Can anyone provide me with any information regarding how the NFL gives these out (max Number of teams that have a bye any given week, weeks where there will be no bye, etc).

Fido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 09:09 AM   #2
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Re: NFL Scheduling

Quote:
Originally posted by Fido
But I was unable to find any rules governing Bye weeks. Can anyone provide me with any information regarding how the NFL gives these out (max Number of teams that have a bye any given week, weeks where there will be no bye, etc).

Weeks that no teams were off: 1-2, 11-17.
There was exactly 4 teams off all weeks 3-10.

I always thought the NFL should shift that so the bye weeks start with week 6, and end with week 13. That why everyone is definitely playing the first quarter and last quarter of the season. I think week 3 is much too early to have off.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 01-07-2004 at 09:10 AM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 10:34 AM   #3
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I didn't ask this, but meant to. are you saying it's actually possible to edit the schedule in FOF2004?
Old 01-07-2004, 10:59 AM   #4
Fido
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
I didn't ask this, but meant to. are you saying it's actually possible to edit the schedule in FOF2004?

To Edit it? No. That's why I would be making a utility

To do it, I will basically be making a utility designed to run after training camp starting in yr 2. It will modify the copy of the schedule that is stored in the FGA file (team by team listing of each week's matchup). It will take into account the final standing from the previous year to do the div #1 vs Div #1 matchups. It will generate a valid schedule following the NFL rules on rotating division vs division games, and the above division 1 vs division 1 games. And will randomly Generate pre season games. That'll be version 1.

Version 2 will allow the user to over-ride one or both of the two intraconference games to matchups of their choosing. This is intended mainly for MP leagues and will allow comissioners the ability to match up rivas every year.

Version 3 will allow the user to modify the schedule after it is creatyed, handling all necessary cascading changes (if team A was playing Team B and Team C was playing Team D, but you change it so that Team A now plays Team C, then Team B will automatically be paired against Team D - did that make sense?).

That's just my thinking for right now. I don't know if/when I'll get around to writing it, nor do I know how many of the versions I'll get through.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:13 AM   #5
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Fido
To Edit it? No. That's why I would be making a utility

I knew that! I was just under the impression that screwing with the schedules would cause stability issues.

I wonder if you could create schedules like:

Play each division rival 3 times. (9 games)
play same position teams (#1 vs #1) from your conference. (3 games)
play 1 division from the opposing conference. (4 games)

Or maybe one could up the difficulty by playing 16 road games?
Old 01-07-2004, 11:35 AM   #6
Fido
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
I knew that! I was just under the impression that screwing with the schedules would cause stability issues.

I wonder if you could create schedules like:

Play each division rival 3 times. (9 games)
play same position teams (#1 vs #1) from your conference. (3 games)
play 1 division from the opposing conference. (4 games)

Or maybe one could up the difficulty by playing 16 road games?

I remembered Jim's Sattements about schedules differently thinking AI implications were limited to changing league size. Looking back I see that it isn't really clear:

Quote:
From Q&A Session
JimG: Q: Would it be possible to include a third-party schedule generator for anything other than a 32-team league?
JimG: No. I've tied everything in the AI to the 32-team format. While that easily could be made customizable if I had different league sizes (maybe two days of work), for now it isn't.

The question was specific to leagues of other than 32 teams, which he states is a problem. He doesn't mention (anywhere that my searches have turned up) anything about modifying the existing scheduling.

Oh well, better safe than sorry. I guess I 'll have to think of a new next utility.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:42 AM   #7
alterra
Mascot

schedule editor for tcy, please?
alterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 12:05 PM   #8
henry296
College Starter

Doesn't Jim's schedule follow the NFL rules? I thought it did in previous versions. I don't have the new one.

Todd