Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-12-2024, 01:57 PM   #1651
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

How miserable a fan base do you have to be to lose the best coach of the modern era, maybe ever, replace him with a guy who took over a 4-8 team, went 24-2 including a 20 game win streak, is 104-12 in his career, and just played for the national title, and complain about it.

Who did they think they were gonna get?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 02:18 PM   #1652
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
How miserable a fan base do you have to be to lose the best coach of the modern era, maybe ever, replace him with a guy who took over a 4-8 team, went 24-2 including a 20 game win streak, is 104-12 in his career, and just played for the national title, and complain about it.

I don't get much sense, yet, that the primary fan base is overly perturbed. They're understandably more in a state of shock & loss right now I think.

The older ones, those who remember the years in the wilderness after Bear, I feel like some of them might almost be internally resigned to the inevitable decline.
Old 01-12-2024, 02:22 PM   #1653
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Because many of them remember hiring guys with the same kind of resume who failed. The unknown is always scary, and they are still mourning the loss of the greatest coach they are likely ever to have. Honestly, do you think Deboer is a better coach than Saban?
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 02:24 PM   #1654
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Because many of them remember hiring guys with the same kind of resume who failed. The unknown is always scary, and they are still mourning the loss of the greatest coach they are likely ever to have. Honestly, do you think Deboer is a better coach than Saban?

If that's the standard they're going to have to hire Belichick. No one else is in the same area code.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 02:27 PM   #1655
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
If that's the standard they're going to have to hire Belichick. No one else is in the same area code.
See, that's the thing. No one was really going to make them happy, short of maybe Kirby.
Old 01-12-2024, 03:15 PM   #1656
GrantDawg

This seems to be the chief thing I am seeing as criticism for Deboer. First, he doesn't like recruiting. That is a handicap in the SEC, but I'm sure he will hire some recruiters that know the ropes and get him players. The bigger thing is he might have NFL ambitions. He could make a quick splash with players he has now and be leaving for the NFL in a couple of years.
Old 01-12-2024, 03:17 PM   #1657
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

If that is not the standard, then they are no longer Alabama football. That is not to say that Deboer has to walk in the door and become Nick Saban instantly. This is to say that the standard is any similarities to the Alabama coaching stints of Ray Perkins, Mike Dubose, Dennis Franchone, Mike Price or Mike Shula will not be tolerated.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 03:44 PM   #1658
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
If that is not the standard, then they are no longer Alabama football. That is not to say that Deboer has to walk in the door and become Nick Saban instantly. This is to say that the standard is any similarities to the Alabama coaching stints of Ray Perkins, Mike Dubose, Dennis Franchone, Mike Price or Mike Shula will not be tolerated.

Interesting that you included Perkins on the list. Not saying that you're wrong but I actually gave both Perkins & Curry an overall pass from being included in the serious disastrous decline.

In 4 seasons, Perkins went 3-0 in bowl games and won 8 or more games in 3/4 seasons. Granted, a 5-6 1984 was their first losing season since the 1950s but overall he had a .600+ winning percentage in the conference and a .667 win percentage overall. That's basically 8-4 ... which definitely feels like a possibility under Deboer unless he's a more effective recruiter than I anticipate.
Old 01-12-2024, 04:14 PM   #1659
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Saban is the best coach in the history of the sport. That's the only point I was making. Smart is probably the only coach that could prevent a dropoff. The dropoff is unavoidable though, no one is matching what Saban accomplished.
Old 01-12-2024, 04:41 PM   #1660
Swaggs
Coordinator

Still seems like the stage is somewhat set for Dabo to eventually get there. It’ll be worlds easier to replace this guy than Saban. There is no way to meet expectations at this time.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 06:13 PM   #1661
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Deboer obviously afraid of the B1G
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 06:44 PM   #1662
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Interesting that you included Perkins on the list. Not saying that you're wrong but I actually gave both Perkins & Curry an overall pass from being included in the serious disastrous decline.

In 4 seasons, Perkins went 3-0 in bowl games and won 8 or more games in 3/4 seasons. Granted, a 5-6 1984 was their first losing season since the 1950s but overall he had a .600+ winning percentage in the conference and a .667 win percentage overall. That's basically 8-4 ... which definitely feels like a possibility under Deboer unless he's a more effective recruiter than I anticipate.

I have more sympathy for Curry myself though going o-3 against Auburn was never going to be tolerated. The funny part is when Perkins and Curry got three and four seasons respectively after Bryant left after a 9-2-1 season. They went a combined 58-25-1(.690) overall. Both had a 10 win final season. Both were told it would be in their best interests to find employment elsewhere. Right or wrong, the standard is at a Bear Bryant/Nick Saban level.

Quote:
Saban is the best coach in the history of the sport. That's the only point I was making. Smart is probably the only coach that could prevent a dropoff. The dropoff is unavoidable though, no one is matching what Saban accomplished.

Listen, my sister in law's husband's family are all rabid Tide fans so I have interacted with that fan base well over 25 years. If you ask that fan base, Nick Saban was a good coach when he came to Tuscaloosa. He only became the greatest coach in the history of the sport because he was coaching at Alabama. For Tide fans, the last three years are the dropoff. Is that a ridiculous standard? Absolutely. That does not stop that from being the standard though.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 06:49 PM   #1663
GrantDawg

All this makes me wonder, does Michigan have a replacement plan for Harbaugh?

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2024, 06:50 PM   #1664
Atocep
Coordinator

In the game of what if's it would be interesting to be in the timeline where Rich Rodriguez sticks to his agreement with 'Bama instead of falling back to Saban.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 06:58 PM   #1665
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Of course not, hence my last question. Other than Kirby, and maybe Harbaugh, who were they getting with a better resume?
Old 01-12-2024, 07:24 PM   #1666
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Dawg
All this makes me wonder, does Michigan have a replacement plan for Harbaugh?

Yep. Sherrone Moore. I'd be quite surprised if it wasn't him when Harbaugh leaves.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 07:32 PM   #1667
GrantDawg

I thought I'd saw a name I just couldn't remember who.

Old 01-12-2024, 07:38 PM   #1668
GrantDawg

Will Rogers unpacked his bag in Washington, turn on the news to see his coach just left for Alabama, and then repacked his bag.

Old 01-12-2024, 08:41 PM   #1669
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Yep. Sherrone Moore. I'd be quite surprised if it wasn't him when Harbaugh leaves.

Heck, he's already 6-0.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 08:52 PM   #1670
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I don't get much sense, yet, that the primary fan base is overly perturbed. They're understandably more in a state of shock & loss right now I think.

The older ones, those who remember the years in the wilderness after Bear, I feel like some of them might almost be internally resigned to the inevitable decline.

I think this is a good summary. There are just some people in sports that you can't replace. It's Tom Brady or Michael Jordan retiring.

A decline is inevitable because guys like Saban come around once in a generation. So you have people who are sad and frustrated with no one they can logically blame. Sometimes good things just come to an end.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 08:55 PM   #1671
GrantDawg

The Husky fans are getting ugly on Reddit now that the shock is wearing off. From the "he is a bad recruiter" arguments:
"For anyone wondering:

2018: Tuli (DT1), ZTF(DE2), Culp(TE2), Hampton(SS1), Ale(NT1), Mele (OC1)

2019: Bandes(NT2), Tuitele(DT2), Asa Turner(FS1), Fautanu (LT1), Fabriculan (SS2), Buelow(RG2), Kalepo(LG1), Trice (DE1), Tuputala (MLB2)

2020: Odunze (WR1), McMillan (WR2), Rosengarten (RT1), Bruener (MLB3)

2020 was Peterson’s class that lake kept together.

So basically the entirety of both lines, the WR, the LBs and half the secondary were all Petersen recruits.

Now we’ve had 4 mediocre to bad classes for whoever takes over."

Old 01-12-2024, 09:04 PM   #1672
RainMaker
General Manager

Wasn't Washington crushing it in the transfer portal? Not to say recruiting isn't important, but it feels like big schools are much better off working the portal where there are known commodities.
Old 01-12-2024, 09:06 PM   #1673
GrantDawg

Those were the starters, so I guess the backups were transfer portal guys. If getting backups is "crushing it" then I guess.

Old 01-13-2024, 07:11 PM   #1674
GrantDawg

This is interesting. Jedd Fisch is a top candidate for the Washington job, but also for the Tennessee Titans job.
Old 01-13-2024, 07:39 PM   #1675
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Those were the starters, so I guess the backups were transfer portal guys. If getting backups is "crushing it" then I guess.

Dillon Johnson and Muhammad were two very important players on their team that came through the portal. Both will be in the NFL. And Penix was one of the best players in the country.

Maybe that's the norm but it seems like some vital players came through the portal. They were also ranked #4 in portal rankings for 2024, although I'm guessing that changes with the coaching change.

Which brings up a question. Can you withdraw your transfer if the coach leaves?
Old 01-13-2024, 07:53 PM   #1676
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

yes.

Will Rogers already has.

FML
Old 01-14-2024, 04:05 PM   #1677
GrantDawg

Quote:
This is interesting. Jedd Fisch is a top candidate for the Washington job, but also for the Tennessee Titans job.
Looks like he has gotten the Husky's offer.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 01-14-2024 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-14-2024, 04:08 PM   #1678
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Dillon Johnson and Muhammad were two very important players on their team that came through the portal. Both will be in the NFL. And Penix was one of the best players in the country.

Maybe that's the norm but it seems like some vital players came through the portal. They were also ranked #4 in portal rankings for 2024, although I'm guessing that changes with the coaching change.

That's 3 out of 22. They were good pick ups, but it doesn't take away that team mostly depended on players recruited by the other coach.
Old 01-14-2024, 06:11 PM   #1679
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Interesting note on Twitter I saw pointing out that inbound Univ of Washington head coach Jedd Fisch is about to start the 17th job of his career (18 if you count interim) with an average tenure of less than two years.

For some perspective, the well-traveled Brian Van Gorder who became a bit of a punchline for his instability has held 22 jobs in 41 seasons, with roughly the same average tenure.
Old 01-14-2024, 10:32 PM   #1680
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Honestly, do you think Deboer is a better coach than Saban?

One thing to keep in mind. The vast majority of Saban's legacy and success came before college football instituted NIL and free agency. It's a new landscape, and the attributes that made a guy elite in the old days don't necessarily carry over now.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 10:41 PM   #1681
GrantDawg

Yeah, I mean Saban had fallen off a cliff since the NIL. They had only made the playoffs three of those four years and with one National Championship and two National Championship game appearances. Pretty mid.

Old 01-14-2024, 11:10 PM   #1682
GrantDawg

That was a little flip, so I will add some depth to it. You are right that going forward coaches are going to have to be able to deal with the NIL and the portal. Good teams are going to have to work out a way to bring in elite high school talent and keep/develop that talent while also bringing in supplemental talent through the portal. Saban was already doing that. He recognized the new landscape and had been working it well. He said during his retirement interviews that the college landscape had changed over the last four years more than anytime in his coaching career. But he also said he had learned to deal with it and that it had nothing to do with his retirement.
The changes are only going to hurt the coaches that are unwilling to accept that they are the new normal. Guys like Dabo. But elite teams are going to have to excel at getting talent through both avenues, and I'm sure they will.

Old 01-15-2024, 06:20 AM   #1683
GrantDawg

We will find out today if the Travaris Robinson, who just just poached from Alabama to be Georgia's Co-DC (Will Mustchamp is stepping away from on field coaching) is going to be poached back by Alabama. DeBoer, or really most likely Saban for DeBoer, is trying to get him to come back by making him the full DC there. My understanding is he is a very good recruiter, but he is not a great X's and O's guy as his stent at South Carolina's DC proved. I don't think Georgia will counter with a offer of full control of te defense, so he likely to walk.
Old 01-15-2024, 04:05 PM   #1684
GrantDawg

Update, he is staying. That's a pretty big black eye to the new Bama staff.

Old 01-15-2024, 04:07 PM   #1685
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Update, he is staying. That's a pretty big black eye to the new Bama staff.

Eh, maybe he knows it'd be a fairly sure route to unemployment. Maybe he's self-aware enough to know that he's really not a DC.
Old 01-15-2024, 04:26 PM   #1686
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
One thing to keep in mind. The vast majority of Saban's legacy and success came before college football instituted NIL and free agency. It's a new landscape, and the attributes that made a guy elite in the old days don't necessarily carry over now.

I feel like Saban was doing a pretty good job of navigating those waters over the years. The school is rich with resources to bring in top players and if you're looking to play in the NFL someday, there's probably no better choice.

There was going to be some dropoff due to more parity in the sport. You're not going to be able to maintain the depth you could in the past. But dropoff for them means being the 4th best team in the country instead of the 1st or 2nd. They would still almost always make the new playoffs.

Like I don't think he's particularly great with the X's and O's, but he's always got good assistants and always found a way to have more talent than anyone in the country. Two incredibly important aspects to being a great college coach. Sounds like the guy is just tired. It's one of the most stressful jobs in the sport and at 72, I don't blame him for wanting to retire.
Old 01-15-2024, 05:07 PM   #1687
GrantDawg

"Eh, maybe he knows it'd be a fairly sure route to unemployment. Maybe he's self-aware enough to know that he's really not a DC."
True enough. He is a great recruiter but hasn't exactly "wowed" when calling plays at other stops.

Old 01-16-2024, 03:51 PM   #1688
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Ohio State hired the Texas A&M AD to be their new athletic director. The same one that gave Jimbo the extension and later fired him
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 04:09 PM   #1689
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Ohio State hired the Texas A&M AD to be their new athletic director. The same one that gave Jimbo the extension and later fired him

I guess it is a plus that he was a good enough fundraiser to afford the money to buy Jimbo out?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 04:56 PM   #1690
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

2nd straight fan base that has not shed any tears with that dimwit departed.

He's apparently a hella good con man.
Old 01-16-2024, 05:16 PM   #1691
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

There's a lot to be said for a guy who can fundraise to the extent that a 75 mil buyout gets covered.
Old 01-16-2024, 05:22 PM   #1692
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:

If he fires the basketball coach and eats the buyout then I'll be a happy man.
Old 01-17-2024, 02:28 PM   #1693
GrantDawg

I hear Georgia is the favorite, followed by OSU and Texas:
Old 01-18-2024, 02:20 PM   #1694
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
lol, a TE for Miami was granted a NINTH year of eligibility

Miami TE Cam McCormick granted ninth year of eligibility - ESPN

Quote:
McCormick, 25, was originally a three-star prospect out of Bend, Oregon. He was part of the 2016 signing class at Oregon that included QB Justin Herbert, and a national class that included Nick Bosa, Ed Oliver, Rashan Gary and Jalen Hurts -- all now established NFL veterans.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 02:31 PM   #1695
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

How many degrees this m'fer GOT?
Old 01-18-2024, 02:39 PM   #1696
GrantDawg

Quote:
How many degrees this m'fer GOT?
He is on the Stetson Bennett plan, so none.
Old 01-18-2024, 03:02 PM   #1697
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

I was going to make a joke but reading through this guys injuries, it's pretty admirable that he's still willing to play football. This is from 2020 and he had already gotten a degree and was in graduate school.

After 2 lost seasons, Oregon’s Cam McCormick is ready to get back on the field - The Athletic
Old 01-18-2024, 03:22 PM   #1698
Danny
Head Coach

Itll be nice for him to go directly from playing college football into an AARP membership.
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 07:46 PM   #1699
GrantDawg

Man, the more I think about it. That guy has got life hacked. Nine years of college paid for and paid to go. I'm in.

Old 01-18-2024, 09:12 PM   #1700
bronconick
College Starter

Ryan Day is getting Bill O'Brien as OC for Ohio State.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote