Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-01-2004, 08:59 AM   #1
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

OT: DirecTV price increase coming...

http://www.twice.com/index.asp?layou...y=breakingNews

Meanwhile, DirecTV will impose between $1 and $3 price hikes on its basic packages, beginning March 1.

Under the new terms, Total Choice with local channels was hiked $1 to $39.99 a month; Total Choice Plus with locals was hiked $3 to $42.99 a month; and Total Choice Premier with locals was hiked $3 to $90.99 a month.

Those services without local channel services will rise $3 to $36.99 per month for Total Choice; $2 to $39.99 for Total Choice Plus and $2 to $87.99 for Total Choice Premier.

Also laid off 50 employees.

Last edited by Tekneek : 02-01-2004 at 09:04 AM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 09:22 AM   #2
FBPro
College Starter

Bummer, still the best thing going however.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 09:47 AM   #3
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Gee, it'll be my second price hike in about 5 years of DirecTV service. I'm still much happier than I was with cable.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:27 AM   #4
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Huh. Well, not a deal breaker for me, especially with them finallybringing local channels to my area come april. We have no Fox so i can get the east/west Fox channels from DirectTV, and for some reason the local ABC said we could get the east/west ABC even though i can pick it up fine. The one that pisses me off is CBS comes in kinda crappy no matter what i do and they won't let me get that on directTV, damn them! So as much as i will miss the east/west fox and abc (love watching car chases on the LA news) it will be nice to have CBS come in clear.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:25 AM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My DishNetwork rate went up $1/month starting with February.
To soften the blow, the bill included a coupon for a free PPV movie.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 11:44 AM   #6
FBPro
College Starter

Had Dish for a few years, glad I made the Directv switch this year.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 04:13 PM   #7
Franklinnoble
Banned

If DirecTV wasn't the exclusive provider of NFL Sunday Ticket, I wouldn't have it.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 04:22 PM   #8
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
If DirecTV wasn't the exclusive provider of NFL Sunday Ticket, I wouldn't have it.

I am contemplating switching to Dish because their NHL Center Ice offering is superior to DirecTV's. Dish actually shows the pre and post game shows on Hockey Night In Canada broadcasts, and DirecTV often cuts them off before they even announce the three stars of the game or do a recap. Additionally, lately Dish Network has been offering both feeds (if both teams are broadcasting) on games which would definitely be more interesting. Those folks are paying the same subscription fee as me and getting a lot more for that money.

DirecTV will, most likely, have a lock on Sunday Ticket for as long as the NFL wants to offer the package at all.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:27 PM   #9
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
DirecTV will, most likely, have a lock on Sunday Ticket for as long as the NFL wants to offer the package at all.

Well, I know that they just renewed that proprietary deal, so we're stuck with DirecTV for the next few years, but I can't imagine that the genuises at the NFL won't come up with a way to get the package out to a larger audience and make more money with it.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 04:29 PM   #10
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Well, I know that they just renewed that proprietary deal, so we're stuck with DirecTV for the next few years, but I can't imagine that the genuises at the NFL won't come up with a way to get the package out to a larger audience and make more money with it.

I have read statements from NFL representatives that they have no interest in opening it up to a wider audience. They just decreased the audience with this new deal. The previous one was open to DirecTV AND C-Band (big dish). They cut the big dish distribution out of this contract. I saw a statement once that basically said they would sooner stop offering the package before they let it go to cable. Times may change, of course.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:07 PM   #11
Craptacular
College Starter

I'm debating whether or not to get Dish, DirectTV, or keep my cable (Charter). The key issues are:

1) I must keep high-speed internet access, and I'd prefer to keep Charter for that, but the price is kind of steep if you don't have cable TV.

2) Charter started offering HDTV service here a couple of months ago. Right now, it's HDNet and HDNet movies (worthless) on cable, and the three major network affiliates, but they are negotiating to add other cable channels. I have a nice antenna ready and waiting in the garage for off-air HDTV, but I haven't bought an HDTV receiver. If I get Dish or DirectTV, I'll get one of the combo receivers, although they are still pretty pricey.

Last edited by Craptacular : 02-01-2004 at 10:07 PM.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 10:10 PM   #12
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

With the baseball, hockey, and football packages, my DirecTV bill is under $130 only 1 or 2 months a year. An extra dollar or three ain't gonna make a difference.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote