Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-11-2004, 03:17 PM   #1
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

John Lynch Leaving Tampa

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1756924

TAMPA, Fla. -- Five-time Pro Bowl safety John Lynch won't be back with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers next season.

Although the Bucs had not yet released the 33-year-old, Lynch said Thursday he was given permission to talk to other teams after the Bucs turned down his request to restructure a deal that would have paid him $4.1 million in 2004 and $5 million in 2005.

Lynch will be released later Thursday, according to ESPN.com's John Clayton.

"I take great pride in the fact that in my career in the NFL I have never and will never play for a contract, rather any success I've had is the result of my play, my passion for the game I love, and the game I respect so much," Lynch said in a news conference held at a radio station in his hometown of San Diego and broadcast live in Tampa.

"Those values never changed in this process. This decision was not a result of my unwillingness to restructure my contract. ... As a result, I will be playing football next year for a different team."

Bucs general manager Bruce Allen scheduled a news conference for later Thursday.

Tampa Bay has restructured the contracts of linebacker Derrick Brooks, cornerback Brian Kelly and offensive lineman Kerry Jenkins to create room under the NFL's $80.6 million salary cap.

The team has signed eight players, including former Oakland running back Charlie Garner, while ignoring the biggest Tampa Bay free agent on the open market, defensive tackle Warren Sapp.

Sapp's agent said Tuesday that the seven-time Pro Bowl selection had not yet received an offer from the Bucs and would begin talking to other teams.

Lynch has played his entire 11-year career in Tampa Bay and along with Sapp and Brooks helped transform the Bucs from the laughingstock of the league into Super Bowl champions.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

--------------

Looks like the Bucs are gonna look quite different next year with Keyshawn, Sapp and Lynch gone.

Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 03:19 PM   #2
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I'd love for the Bears to quit wasting their time on Sapp and look into getting Lynch.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 03:37 PM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

So how in the hell does ESPN get the headline, "Lynch Leaves Bucs By Choice After 11 Seasons" out of that story?!

"Although the Bucs had not yet released the 33-year-old, Lynch said Thursday he was given permission to talk to other teams after the Bucs turned down his request to restructure a deal that would have paid him $4.1 million in 2004 and $5 million in 2005.

Lynch will be released later Thursday, according to ESPN.com's John Clayton."

So let's see...TB didn't want to pay him what he is currently making, and they didn't want to renegotiate to a lesser amount, and they are going to release him later today...but this is Lynch's CHOICE?!

This might be TB's way of letting him go "with dignity," which is a nice thing to do, but it doesn't at all reflect the reality of the situation.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 04:12 PM   #4
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Bet he ends up with the J-E-T-S!!!
Old 03-11-2004, 04:32 PM   #5
Franklinnoble
Banned

It's the curse of the Chunky Soup Commercial.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 04:38 PM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Getting old is certainly a curse, but when you get old and lose your teeth, soup is a saving grace. So I don't think that quite applies to Lynch.

So, are you saying that McNabb is next?

You know what the curse resulted from? The fact that these guys are pawning off actresses as their mamas. That shit ain't right, and they're being picked off, one at a time.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-11-2004 at 04:39 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2004, 04:53 PM   #7
Franklinnoble
Banned

Yeah, McNabb is next... if T.O. makes it to Philly, you can blame Campbells.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote