Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-03-2003, 10:27 PM   #1
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Mooch Joins Lions?!?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasqu...n/1503579.html

Good job, Lions. I don't know how you convinced him to take it but I'm sure it involved a lot of money. He does have a nice young QB there at least but I figured he could have had his pick of any NFL job and he went with Detroit?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 11:45 PM   #2
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

One can only wonder what the future holds, good luck to the Lions though...
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 01:07 AM   #3
DolaBump
Mascot

Re: Mooch Joins Lions?!?

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasqu...n/1503579.html

Good job, Lions. I don't know how you convinced him to take it but I'm sure it involved a lot of money. He does have a nice young QB there at least but I figured he could have had his pick of any NFL job and he went with Detroit?

SI

well the Michigan connection helps a lot (or rather, the Michigan State connection)
DolaBump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 03:42 AM   #4
Alf
Pro Starter

Yep, Mooch has Michigan roots. Family matters !
Old 02-04-2003, 06:32 AM   #5
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Finally we will have a coach who can figure out what to call on a coin toss
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 06:45 AM   #6
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

and a contract that will pay him over $4M per year ...
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 07:19 AM   #7
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

But the question remains: does he have the authority to fire Millen? If not, the future still looks grim.

I don't know what's worse - having Millen run my hometown team into the ground, or listening to that Madden-wannabe call a game. It's a lose/lose deal for me any way you look at it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 08:42 AM   #8
cincyreds
High School Varsity

This is great news for Joey Harrington!!! He should be very happy about this move.

Mooch will develop Harrington into the NFL QB that he was meant to be. Hopefully he has the heart problems okay now.

Congrats Lions fans!!
Old 02-04-2003, 08:47 AM   #9
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

It'll be interesting to see what comes of Mike McMahon. Having seen him a ton here at Rutgers, I always thought if he played behind a real offensive line he might do well.

Reportedly they are considering trading him, but who would be interested?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 08:53 AM   #10
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkiller
and a contract that will pay him over $4M per year ...

That's peanuts to the Ford family.

I'm just glad this thing is finally resolved, and we have a decent coach.

If the Lions don't improve now, at least it'll be Millen who gets the axe.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:43 AM   #11
kid_dynamite
Mascot

why wouldnt a coach want to go to detroit? seems like they have an owner who will spend cash and the only way for the team to go is up
Old 02-04-2003, 11:12 AM   #12
ctmason
High School JV

I can't see this being anything but a positive for the Lions organiztion, but then again bring me in as coach and I probably couldn't do much worse.

In all seriousness, I think this was the best decision for the Detroit organization. I still say Millen's a prick, though.

"Yeah I said I'd keep Marty, and yeah I gave my word, and yeah I went back on that and I'm a hypocrite, but darn it, I want to win and that's more important than me being a professional and being honest. GRRRR!!! I'm big and mean, don't call me on my hypocrisy or I'll beat on this lectern some more! GRRRR!!!"
ctmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 02:04 PM   #13
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by ctmason
I can't see this being anything but a positive for the Lions organiztion, but then again bring me in as coach and I probably couldn't do much worse.

In all seriousness, I think this was the best decision for the Detroit organization. I still say Millen's a prick, though.

"Yeah I said I'd keep Marty, and yeah I gave my word, and yeah I went back on that and I'm a hypocrite, but darn it, I want to win and that's more important than me being a professional and being honest. GRRRR!!! I'm big and mean, don't call me on my hypocrisy or I'll beat on this lectern some more! GRRRR!!!"

I agree with that. Millen is a bit of a prick. Even if he's not a prick he's handled many, many personnell decisions very poorly. Mornhinweg's was just the most public/prominent one to date. He's don it with players and other staff in the past. Here, however, it seems somewhat justified. He's wanted Mooch as a coach since day one. Mooch was let go (Millen had to wait a week, per NFL rules, no changes during Super Bowl week) and Millen went right after his man. Letting Marty flounder for one more year wasn't going to do anyone any good. Millen least of all. Mooch was available, Millen made a "prick" move, but a move he had to make. It was harsh and poorly handled, but he got his man. I think, his lectren pounding aside, Millen does just "want to win." No matter the cost. It aint gonna be automatic, but hopefully this is the first step in the right direction in many a year for the beloved warriors in Honolulu Blue And Silver.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 03:01 PM   #14
detroit_fan
H.S. Freshman Team

God has answered my prayer!!!!
Old 02-04-2003, 05:51 PM   #15
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
It'll be interesting to see what comes of Mike McMahon. Having seen him a ton here at Rutgers, I always thought if he played behind a real offensive line he might do well.

Reportedly they are considering trading him, but who would be interested?

I have heard that Miami would possibly be interested, but more than likely, the Lions were going to keep him on the roster for this coming season. Now though, everything is up in the air, so who really knows?
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote