Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-16-2004, 01:21 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Question An interesting multiplayer dynasty phenomenon?

I've noticed that people don't tend to root for you in a dynasty from a multiplayer league. Perhaps nobody wants to root against other members of the board? Basically all the responses I've gotten in my Rochester dynasty have been from other members of the league. The Bill Gates Challenge, on the other hand, seems to get a lot more responses, perhaps because you can root against the Cowboys without risking hurting anybody's feelings. In checking the other IHOF dynasties, they also seem to have mainly IHOF members replying to the thread.

I wonder if

A: Nobody but folks in IHOF are reading the IHOF dynasties

or

B: Non IHOFfers are reading along, but don't want to seem like they are rooting for one team or another. I even gave folks a rival to root against in my dynasty - Chubby and his evil Mohawks squad. Still, nobody showed any reaction one way or another about the rivalry, except for cthomer, who is in the league.

It seems to me that the multiplayer aspect limits reader interaction. Or, alternatively, maybe nobody gives a rat's ass about my team or my associated dynasty. Anybody have any thoughts on this phenomenon? It seems like folks are reading the 4 different IHOF dynasties, but they as a rule aren't replying in the IHOF threads.

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 01:30 PM   #2
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Personally, the idea of following a multi-player dynasty is about exciting as watching paint dry.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 01:31 PM   #3
Kodos
Resident Alien

Great. There goes my paint-drying dynasty as well.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:34 PM   #4
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I had decent results with my Watching Grass Grow dynasty. Maybe you should look into that. Maybe you can do an Ani-Grass Growing dynasty? We would all root for the weeds and dandelions......

Ok, maybe not.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 01:36 PM   #5
corbes
College Benchwarmer

I was going to write a dynasty about eating paint chips, but it got kinda unintelligible towards the end.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 01:41 PM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

Maybe a combination drying-paint-chips-eating dynasty would work?
Old 03-16-2004, 05:02 PM   #7
Vince
Pro Starter

I was personally hoping for the Watching Two Old Men Ice Fish dynasty, but the grass/paint combo seems to hit home for more people here.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 09:48 AM   #8
Lokugh
Mascot

I read multiplayer dynasties, if the game itself is of interest to me (a la the Combat Mission dynasty and the Civ III dynasty) or the writers are good. The problem is that most MP dynasties are not all that well written.

Your Gatesville dynasty is great. But that is because you are having to explain everything to us. In an MP dynasty seldom do we get any real depth. The participants all know what is going on. So they don't give us that depth. Plus, in an MP dynasty, you seldom have more than one or two writers who are good at it.

As far as posting as a non-player, well...when you come right down to it, the fun of posting in a single player dynasty is to somehow be a part of the dynasty, even as just a fan. In an MP dynasty, you already have multiple authors and multiple participants, so there is not so much of that available. Plus...it is the difference between solitaire and chess. Walk up to someone playing solitaire and mention "that red eight can go on that black nine". Now walk up to two people playing chess and tell one of them "hey, move your bishop here and it is checkmate."

You are going to get two wildly different reactions< g >.

Lokugh
Lokugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 10:55 AM   #9
StanGunner
Mascot

RE: Lokugh
You make some great points. Are you supposed to be running around loose?
StanGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 11:11 AM   #10
MikeVic
Head Coach

I'd read an anti-grass-growing dynasty.. only if it included pictures.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 01:05 PM   #11
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
I was personally hoping for the Watching Two Old Men Ice Fish dynasty, but the grass/paint combo seems to hit home for more people here.
They already did that. It was called "Fishing with John"

Last edited by corbes : 03-17-2004 at 01:05 PM.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote