Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-03-2003, 02:36 PM   #1
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Ot - Hdtv

There has been some chatter here about home entertainment systems. I have a widescreen TV that is HDTV 'ready'(?) Not sure exactly how to describe it.

Anyway, I am thinking of springing for the HDTV converter box so that I can watch the shows broadcast in HDTV, in HDTV. (Did that make sense?)

Does anybody here have that setup already? And is it worth it? It seems like the converters are priced from 300-500 bucks. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."

Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 02:44 PM   #2
Craptacular
College Starter

I'm assuming you don't have cable or satellite service that broadcasts any HDTV yet?
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 02:53 PM   #3
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

At the risk of sounding extremely ignorant (and in this case, I guess I am).....no.

When buying the TV, I told them I had Cox Digital Cable (the saleman lived in the area so he was familiar) and he said I would need the converter to get the HDTV signal.

Was I being scammed?

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 02-03-2003, 02:57 PM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Nope, you need the converter and to subscribe to the HD channels such as HBO HD.

Read below for the requirements..

http://www.cox.com/Phoenix/DigitalTV/hdtv.asp

Todd

btw, HDTV looks unreal

Last edited by MizzouRah : 02-03-2003 at 02:58 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 03:05 PM   #5
Craptacular
College Starter

you need to go here:
http://www.cox.com/Future/hdtv.asp

Does your provider even carry HDTV in your area yet?? Your best bet is to CALL THEM and get all the info. If it is available, you might be much better off renting a converter rather than buying one.

Last edited by Craptacular : 02-03-2003 at 03:08 PM.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:16 PM   #6
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Oh, good links. Thanks for the info. I guess I need to do a bunch more research.

Old 02-03-2003, 03:20 PM   #7
Buzzbee
College Starter

You could get the converter, but I think you would only get 1 or 2 stations in HDTV. I have Comcast so Cox may be different, but I believe that HBO HD and one other HDTV channel are currently carried by the cable or satellite companies. In order to get the HDTV signals being broadcast by various stations you would need to get an over-the-air antenna to pick up the signals. This would be similar to the old fashioned "rabbit ears" prevalent before cable and satellite. From what I can recall, these antennas are several hundred bucks.

Here is an excerpt from ABC.com regarding over-the-air signals.

What do I need to receive HDTV?
In most areas, HDTV is only available as an over-the-air broadcast signal. (Most cable systems don't yet carry the HDTV signals). This requires the use, in most cases, of an outdoor antenna pointed in the direction of the broadcaster's tower. You will also need a new HDTV receiver that can decode the digital signals. HDTV channels are typically different than your cable or over-the-air channel.

Is HDTV replacing standard television?
Not immediately. ABC and other broadcasters will continue to offer programs in the standard format for at least the next several years. However, the federal government hopes broadcasters and consumers adopt the new format by 2006. Thus, the next few years will be a transition, as television networks add more digital broadcasting to their offerings
Old 02-03-2003, 03:42 PM   #8
henry296
College Starter

In Baltimore, ABC can be received via the HDTV cable box from Comcast.

Todd
Old 02-03-2003, 03:48 PM   #9
Craptacular
College Starter

Another thing to figure out / think about:

Does your TV have a built-in HDTV tuner for over-the-air HDTV broadcasts? If this is the case, and you have a good antenna, you could receive HDTV broadcasts without buying a set-top tuner. Most HDTV-"ready" TVs do not have this. I don't know about your market, but I believe the PBS, NBC, CBS, and ABC affiliates in Madison all broadcast an HDTV channel now.

edit: Even if your TV has a built-in HDTV tuner, you would still need an appropriate HDTV cable tuner to get their HDTV service.

Last edited by Craptacular : 02-03-2003 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:51 PM   #10
Buzzbee
College Starter

In looking at the Cox website, it looks like they carry 6 HDTV channels: HBO HD east, HBO HD west, Discovery HD, Showtime HD, and two local stations So, for the cost of the HDTV reciever, you get 6 stations. Certainly that will increase over time, but right now, I think it would be hard to justify.

Of course with the appropriate antenna, you could pick up over-the-air HDTV signals and increase the number of stations, but that would be expense over and above the cost of the HDTV receiver.

There was an excellent link on our old board that explained this in much greater detail, but alas, we are forbidden to go to the old board at this time. Bummer.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:54 PM   #11
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Just got off the phone with Cox.

They will be bringing out HDTV in August. I guess I will wait until then.

Old 02-03-2003, 04:03 PM   #12
moriarty
College Starter

Marmel,

There are currently two ways to receive HDTV - either via 'special channels' that your cable/satelite provider provides (usually at a charge such as HBO HD) or via an over the air signal (OTA) which is free.

Either one requires a receiver/conversion box for your HDTV 'ready' television. To receive the OTA signals you will also need an antenna just like the old days (decent ones can be found for less than $100, and depending on the siganal you don't necessarily need an oudoor one). Your HDTV receiver/converter should have an 'antenna in' connection.

Depending on where you live the OTA selections vary. Near most larger cities, you can receive the networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) in HDTV during primetime shows (CBS/ABC also provided a HDTV signal for the playoffs and superbowl). I'll see if I can find the website which shows what's avail by zip code.

As was pointed out, right now the availability of HDTV programming is limited. ESPN is supposed to broadcast select shows in HDTV by the end of the year though, and more NFL games should be broadcast next fall in HDTV.

The setup conversion boxes are supposed to come down in price this fall also as some rule goes into effect requiring digital televisions to have built in tuners. So if you can wait until football season, you can probably get a better box at a cheaper price w/ more OTA options.

Last edited by moriarty : 02-03-2003 at 04:06 PM.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2003, 04:06 PM   #13
Craptacular
College Starter

My dad has been harping on Charter (they are also my provider) about their HDTV service, and it's impossible to get a straight answer from them. However, I think Charter is looking for a buyer, so things might change.

I will be buying my dad's old HDTV-ready set soon (no built-in HDTV tuner). Depending on how quickly (or slowly) Charter's situation becomes resolved, I might go ahead and invest in an over-the-air tuner and an antenna for my new garage.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:16 PM   #14
moriarty
College Starter

FYI - Here's a link that describes the three ways to receive signals.

If you click on 'local information', it will provide (by zip code) reports of people in your area regarding reception.

HDTV PUB

Last edited by moriarty : 02-03-2003 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:50 PM   #15
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I really don't want to go out and get an antenna, so I guess I will wait until August when Cox makes it available.

All this is great info guys. Thanks a bunch.

Old 02-04-2003, 01:58 AM   #16
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

You will never regret your decison to go HDTV. I got it a last February, and although programming was thin then, now it is really picking up. Apart from much of the network primetime schedules being in HD, there will be NFL regular season this fall, college football (again from last year); NHL now, MLB (again), Grammies, Oscars, The Masters, US Open Tennis, Triple Crown, and the list goes on. And the picture is amazing (like looking through a window)!!! Oh yeah, DVDs look great too. ESPN-HD is starting on March 30th.

Everything you need to know is here: http://www.avsforum.com (then click "home") on programming, hardware, set-up, etc.

By the way, I use a $30 antenna in my apartment to get the local network signals, but a lot depends on where you live (and DirecTV for the rest) .

And to the rest of you, HDTV is awesome (have I said that twice already) -- although it is still a little pricey.

P.S. I can't wait to see the babes at the Oscars in HD.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 09:48 AM   #17
moriarty
College Starter

Is the Masters really in HD this year?

I can just imagine the plush greens on HDTV already (not to mention it'll be easier to read all the picket signs in HD).
Old 02-04-2003, 11:35 PM   #18
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Well, it was last year and I don't see why CBS wouldn't do it again. The picture was excellent, lush greens/fairways (and the azaleas). I have widescreen so you saw more of the green while they were putting, etc. You could also see the undulations.

The only part that sucked was the HD cameras only started on the 11th green so you couldn't follow the leaders until then. But I would just switch to standard broadcasts for updates. It also wasn't a simulcast, so it had a different announcing team led by Don Criqui who really sucked. I am hoping for a simulcast this year!
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 11:57 PM   #19
bbor
Pro Starter

Talking

Marm wants HDTV so he can watch the the Blues games more clearly.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote