Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-21-2004, 08:01 AM   #1
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

FBCB Question-Retirement

I am 81, in the game not in real life ,and just won a third championship and 3 of my top players are leaving early. I am almost thinking of just quitting and starting over because I would like to retire on my own terms.

So I have a couple of questions:

When does the game force you to retire? Can I coach till I am 100 or 200? Or is there a set age like 85 where I will be carted off on a stretcher? If I am forced to retire can I keep the league history and start off with another school? Any help would be much appreciated.

LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 09:18 AM   #2
korme
Go Reds

You can retire, and create a new guy, perhaps your son, or in this case, your grand son. Heh.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 09:19 AM   #3
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
You can retire, and create a new guy, perhaps your son, or in this case, your grand son. Heh.
And he can take over the same team you left, or another team, with the history intact?
Old 03-21-2004, 09:32 AM   #4
korme
Go Reds

Of course, it will be the same league.

Your coaching history will be anew as a new guy, but you can also go back and look at your retired guy if he's top 50 in any of the career coaching records.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 10:15 AM   #5
MrBug708
Head Coach

Make your grandson a coach but with his alma mater as your guy's most prolific team.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 10:16 AM   #6
MrBug708
Head Coach

Or you can do what Dick Bennett is doing at Washington State and take the job so your son can have the job when you retire
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 10:43 AM   #7
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I don't think anyone has actually answered the question of forced retirement. The game doesn't actually ever force you to retire. You could coach to 150 if you wanted.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 12:19 PM   #8
mgadfly
High School Varsity

There is no forced retirement. I'd also suggest that you don't "retire" your coach. Just quit the current job and then create a new, or edit an existing coach to use.

What I have done with my most recent career is this:

Coach 1: Started out as an assistant coach at Arizona and I let him play on computer control for three seasons. When he got his first coaching job, I used the coach editor to change him to human and take control. I coached with him from 2006-2050 (1194 wins, 7 NCAA championships). In 2035 he hired an assistant coach for the minimum salary of $30,000. When I quit coaching Coach1 in 2050, I changed Coach2 to human.

Coach2: I've coached this guy from 2051-2075 and he's now 67 and ready to retire. (954 wins, 6 NCAA championships) 5 seasons ago I hired a 20-something year old assistant for $30,000 again, and when I decide to retire Coach2, I'll edit that assistant to be my new coach.

By limiting myself to coaches that I can only hire as assistants for $30,000 I usually get a good challenge at the beginning of their careers before working my way up to a good job.

I don't RETIRE the coach, because I like to be able to go back and click on them to look at their ratings/stats/etc...

I've found this method very enjoyable.
mgadfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 01:55 PM   #9
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

I was considering forced retirement at one point but decided it was best to leave that decision up to the person playing the game.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 02:04 PM   #10
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign
I was considering forced retirement at one point but decided it was best to leave that decision up to the person playing the game.
Part of me would like for this to be available--if for no other reason than to have a little better "integrity" of coaching records. This is probably more of a suggestion for FBCB2 than for a patch, but here's a thought:

How about a "coach career" mode? You'd start off with a certain number of points to allocate--and they'd be partially based on your age, and partially on whether you choose to start as an assistant, or as a Head Coach. If you start as a 24-year-old assistant, your best job offer might be scouting director at an Indy. You'd then have the game sim forward until you got a Head Coach offer, then you'd take over that team--surely a weak one. Coach Career mode would have forced retirements, and its own record book. Just a thought.
Old 03-21-2004, 02:36 PM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Part of me would like for this to be available--if for no other reason than to have a little better "integrity" of coaching records. This is probably more of a suggestion for FBCB2 than for a patch, but here's a thought:

How about a "coach career" mode? You'd start off with a certain number of points to allocate--and they'd be partially based on your age, and partially on whether you choose to start as an assistant, or as a Head Coach. If you start as a 24-year-old assistant, your best job offer might be scouting director at an Indy. You'd then have the game sim forward until you got a Head Coach offer, then you'd take over that team--surely a weak one. Coach Career mode would have forced retirements, and its own record book. Just a thought.

That sounds like that would be a lot of fun if implemented properly.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote