Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-12-2004, 11:14 AM   #1
druez
Banned

EHM Franchise Edition

I'm really looking forward to this game, but I'm a bit disappointed in it already.

I'm so addicted to the 2d engine in CM4 and 03/04 that it will be hard to go back to play just text mode. I liked CM3 but I like CM4 and new versions even more. So, its going to be a bit hard to step back in time to play the hockey version of CM3.

I don't understand why they didn't do a 2d engine and use the CM4 model for hockey. Anyone else have some thoughts on this topic?

druez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 11:29 AM   #2
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by druez
I don't understand why they didn't do a 2d engine and use the CM4 model for hockey. Anyone else have some thoughts on this topic?

CM4 was not ready when they started. It would have delayed it even more.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 11:30 AM   #3
druez
Banned

Yes it was a buggy release. But, I thought the teams were seperate that were working on hockey and soccer?
Old 04-12-2004, 11:31 AM   #4
wig
Banned

They should release it now and call it ".400 Hockey"

Last edited by wig : 04-12-2004 at 11:31 AM.
wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 11:32 AM   #5
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

the 2D on CM03/04 is addictive. I never would have thought it.

Stupid Plynouth board hates me!
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 11:59 AM   #6
druez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator
the 2D on CM03/04 is addictive. I never would have thought it.

Stupid Plynouth board hates me!

You don't like it? I like playing in the key mode. Where its mostly text, but the key plays are diagramed in 2d mode.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:02 PM   #7
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

No, I love it. I never thought that the 2D would appeal to me. I play the same way. When there is action at the goals it hops into 2D. They were smart to set it up this way.

I just have alot to learn about the sport.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 12:04 PM   #8
druez
Banned

I know I was hockey would do the same thing. Don't get me wrong, I know I'm going to love EHM and I'll buy it on release day. I just wanted 2d

Last edited by druez : 04-12-2004 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:57 PM   #9
bamcgee
High School JV

I also love the 2d. The suspense is brutal.
bamcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:45 PM   #10
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
I'm really looking forward to this game,

Simply speaking this is Riz's first 'commercial' game and I didn't want him to be overstretching himself by making things too ambitious initially (so basically blame me - I talked Riz out of it) .... imho making a realistic hockey sports sim which simulates all the major leagues around the world in itself is a huge undertaking, creating a 2D match view for one would further complicate things beyond a level I felt comfortable with for our first release.

For a comparison, Paul Collyer has over a decades experience at making sports sims and it took him over 18 months working exclusively on the CM4 match engine (and nothing else) to bring that to an adequate level for a first release .... obviously EHM:FE being a new game we have a much smaller and more inexperienced team, hence we couldn't risk the games release by attempting such an implementation.

I know that Riz is excited by the idea of developing such a view and it will undoubtably be developed when the time is right.

Hope this helps,

Marc
PS. The CM3 engine has been heavily enhanced by Riz with such elements as 'snapshots' (ie. you can see the positions of players on the pitch in relation to the text shown from match commentary), shot displays (ie. you can see where on the goal each shot hit) etc.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:57 PM   #11
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

now if only i could go into a comp games store or dl and pay for it (and CM) I'd be all set. I'll prob still end up getting EHM:FE but PC games are such an impulse buy for me, if I see something I like I'll just drive to the mall and grab it. I have no patience to wait for it to come in the mail (particularly with futbol as I'll be into it 1 day and couldn't care less the next)
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 03:59 PM   #12
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby
now if only i could go into a comp games store or dl and pay for it (and CM) I'd be all set. I'll prob still end up getting EHM:FE but PC games are such an impulse buy for me, if I see something I like I'll just drive to the mall and grab it. I have no patience to wait for it to come in the mail (particularly with futbol as I'll be into it 1 day and couldn't care less the next)

You be glad to know you should be able to purchase EHM:FE (and hopefully FM) inside America when they're released
Old 04-12-2004, 04:04 PM   #13
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
You be glad to know you should be able to purchase EHM:FE (and hopefully FM) inside America when they're released

Awesome! I have wanted to get CM so many times when I get on a "futbol kick" but like I said, it's all impulse buys for me. I think that will really help get more of the casual soccer fans over here to give FM a try and will alert all the hardcore (is there such a thing as a casual?) hockey fans over here to SI Games. I was hoping the deal with Sega would facilitate this.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:35 PM   #14
druez
Banned

I know they sold CM3 as a download for a bit chubby, I wonder if they will ever do that again. I am a big fan of download purchasing, because my out of shape, lazy ass doesn't want to leave my house and I have broadband and a credit card.

Last edited by druez : 04-12-2004 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:36 PM   #15
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Chicks dig me...
Quote:
...because my out of shape, lazy ass doesn't want to leave my house and I have broadband and a credit card.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:38 PM   #16
druez
Banned

Quote:
Simply speaking this is Riz's first 'commercial' game and I didn't want him to be overstretching himself by making things too ambitious initially (so basically blame me - I talked Riz out of it) .... imho making a realistic hockey sports sim which simulates all the major leagues around the world in itself is a huge undertaking, creating a 2D match view for one would further complicate things beyond a level I felt comfortable with for our first release.

For a comparison, Paul Collyer has over a decades experience at making sports sims and it took him over 18 months working exclusively on the CM4 match engine (and nothing else) to bring that to an adequate level for a first release .... obviously EHM:FE being a new game we have a much smaller and more inexperienced team, hence we couldn't risk the games release by attempting such an implementation.

I know that Riz is excited by the idea of developing such a view and it will undoubtably be developed when the time is right.

Hope this helps,

Marc
PS. The CM3 engine has been heavily enhanced by Riz with such elements as 'snapshots' (ie. you can see the positions of players on the pitch in relation to the text shown from match commentary), shot displays (ie. you can see where on the goal each shot hit) etc.

Well that makes quite a bit of sense then. Doesn't mean, I can't want it .

Marc, Russ and I at www.hockeyology.com want to do a preview on EHM Franchise Edition. Hockey is one our biggest sites and he covers the Rangers, we already do all the sega sports games. Should we contact you or sega rep about doing this preview? If you aren't busy shoot me an email jason @ sportsology.net

Last edited by druez : 04-12-2004 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-12-2004, 04:52 PM   #17
druez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Chicks dig me...

Thanks for the plug...
Old 04-12-2004, 05:07 PM   #18
Karim
College Starter

I'm really hesitant about a 2-D view for hockey. If they can pull it off that would be great in a future release but I just don't see how they can capture the speed of the game, especially with so much going on away from the puck, changes on the fly, etc., etc.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:08 PM   #19
druez
Banned

I really just want a 2d view of the replays or key plays of the game. Such as goals or great saves etc..
Old 04-12-2004, 05:46 PM   #20
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
I'm really hesitant about a 2-D view for hockey. If they can pull it off that would be great in a future release but I just don't see how they can capture the speed of the game, especially with so much going on away from the puck, changes on the fly, etc., etc.

Check out Wayne Gretzky Hockey I and II. It can be done.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 12:34 AM   #21
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Awesome! I have wanted to get CM so many times when I get on a "futbol kick" but like I said, it's all impulse buys for me. I think that will really help get more of the casual soccer fans over here to give FM a try and will alert all the hardcore (is there such a thing as a casual?) hockey fans over here to SI Games. I was hoping the deal with Sega would facilitate this.

Gogamer.com. 2 Day Air FedEx is $5.99 for up to 3 games, or overnight it for $9.99.

No, it's not quite the same as a pluck it off the shelf at the local Best Buy, but it's close enough, and there's always the demo to keep you tied up for a day or two.

Last edited by WussGawd : 04-13-2004 at 12:35 AM.
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 03:15 AM   #22
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
I know they sold CM3 as a download for a bit chubby, I wonder if they will ever do that again. I am a big fan of download purchasing, because my out of shape, lazy ass doesn't want to leave my house and I have broadband and a credit card.

This is definitely something I'm in favour of - and hopefully we'll go this route again in the future at some point.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:49 AM   #23
kserra
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
Check out Wayne Gretzky Hockey I and II. It can be done.

Oh man, did I ever love those games!!! On my tiny old B&W Mac, what an addictive game...plus you could purchase the additional game that allowed you to import/export rosters into the game, and added GM features (can't remember the name of that add on)...I made some excellent rosters for that game(in my humble opinion)...course I was 12 years old, and my memory's a bit foggy now...

That was the FIRST computer game that got me addicted to career-long sims...playing Strat-o-Matic by yourself just wasn't the same after it...

Kevin
kserra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 08:51 AM   #24
kserra
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
This is definitely something I'm in favour of - and hopefully we'll go this route again in the future at some point.

Yes, yes...please give us the option to download the game!!!

I, too, love to make impulse purchases on the internet and can't bear the weeklong wait for a game to arrive via mail...and the crowds of adoring fans I attract when I go outside makes it difficult to get to a store...

Kevin
kserra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 11:14 AM   #25
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by kserra
Oh man, did I ever love those games!!! On my tiny old B&W Mac, what an addictive game...plus you could purchase the additional game that allowed you to import/export rosters into the game, and added GM features (can't remember the name of that add on)...I made some excellent rosters for that game(in my humble opinion)...course I was 12 years old, and my memory's a bit foggy now...

That was the FIRST computer game that got me addicted to career-long sims...playing Strat-o-Matic by yourself just wasn't the same after it...

Kevin

That add-on was HLS2 and it was actually a game on its own as well. We used to play that little game a lot back in those days. It lacked a true year to year career mode, which is why I ended up putting together something of my own
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 11:35 AM   #26
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The above quote was in reference to online downloading.. I hope you do go back to that route. I would have bought CM03/04 a while ago as I often will buy games impulsively and I like being able to get the game immediately (well in the time of a broadband download.) As it is, I just purchased CM03/04 from gogamer last night

Now, I just need someone to point me in the right direction of a good site to brush up on general soccer strategy for the relative neophyte.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 11:41 AM   #27
druez
Banned

Impulse buying rocks, I love to be able to download games. Anyone checked out the steam thing for Counterstrike? I wonder if the industry will go this route more often.

I know Everquest allows you to buy their expansions online now also.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:35 PM   #28
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
The above quote was in reference to online downloading.. I hope you do go back to that route. I would have bought CM03/04 a while ago as I often will buy games impulsively and I like being able to get the game immediately (well in the time of a broadband download.) As it is, I just purchased CM03/04 from gogamer last night

Now, I just need someone to point me in the right direction of a good site to brush up on general soccer strategy for the relative neophyte.

As a download?
Old 04-13-2004, 12:50 PM   #29
condors
College Starter

you don't really need to know much about soccer to play cm.

You can listen to your scouts and go with a default tactic and have success.

the best place is marc's hints and tips
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 06:41 PM   #30
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As a download?

No, I'm expecting it to arrive via FedEx by tomorrow I would have very likely bought it much sooner IF it was available as a download.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote