Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-30-2004, 01:15 PM   #1
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

CW's Job From Hell, The Saga Continues

I should make this into a freakin' dynasty.

Anyway, mostly ranting and raving, prolly get a chuckle out of this. I find it both irritating and (now) amusing.

Alright. Backstory. Couple weeks ago, I get shoved with this project (web site). I am informed that it'll only be like a day's worth of work, no biggy. Keep in mind I'm SLAMMED with other stuff. 42(!) pages of changes faxed to me later, it took me a week. Meanwhile, I get bitched at for not working on the other major project.

I talk to client. Tell him we're ready to go live, he agrees, I inform company to bill him. Client goes apeshit, chaos ensues. Boss #2 bitches out client. Boss #1 calls client next day, smooths things over. I hear snippets of this conversation, and got the impression that we're going to get a new list of changes before we bill/go live. No one tells me anything on what the plan is.

Few emails exchanged between Boss #2 and client after that, requesting we move the site over to the live server so he can 'test' it. Ignore the ridiculousness of that for the moment. Again, no one sees fit to tell me what we are planning to do. Doesn't matter to me, I've got a Huge Major Project due in a couple weeks, and am slammed anyway.

Yesterday late in the evening, I get asked by Boss #2 whether or not I've done that stuff for the Client. I look at him funny, shake my head, and said I was waiting to know what do to. He scoffs in disgust, and that's the end of it. I resume working on the stuff I was doing.

Late late late last night, I get THREE absolutely fucking scathing emails from Boss #2, demanding I do this stuff, bitching me out, implying I'm basically incompetant/idiotic. Now, keep in mind, not ONCE was I informed as to what I was supposed to be doing. No one kept me in the loop, I was under the assumption there were more changes that were forthcoming anyway. Apparently, it is my job to psychically predict what I'm supposed to be doing.

Now, I've put up with almost identical shit like this on many occaisons at this hellhole. He's crossed the line when he insulted me, however. I respond with a calm, collected, and subtly vicious response.

He doesn't respond.

I walk in today. Doesn't say a word for 2 hours.

Has spoken since, but all business, just a few questions. Utterly uncomfortable. I'm obviously still pissed off, but apparently the Defense of Myself has worked, because he hasn't said SHIT or attempted any confrontation. Talk about one uncomfortable office, though. Eesh.

Moral of the story. It felt good to finally Return Fire. My honor is intact, my job just sucks more now.

Finis Rantus

Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 01:19 PM   #2
Franklinnoble
Banned

He's not talking to you because he's probably looking for your replacement. I'd seriously find a new job at this point.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 01:21 PM   #3
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Go to Arizona. Hater.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:22 PM   #4
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
He's not talking to you because he's probably looking for your replacement. I'd seriously find a new job at this point.

And/or set the place on fire.
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 01:24 PM   #5
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quit today. Enjoy the weekend.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:32 PM   #6
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Afoci
Quit today. Enjoy the weekend.

You left out the part about crapping on his boss' desk...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 01:33 PM   #7
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
You left out the part about crapping on his boss' desk...

That is assumed in the 'quit today' portion.
Old 04-30-2004, 01:33 PM   #8
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Oh, and as I'm moderatly proud of my little response. Here's what I responded to Bitchfest with.

I have a snippet of conversation from (Boss1)'s call to (Client), and I get the impression there's some sort of list of further changes forthcoming. I have a few exchanged emails from you and (Client), none of which said a word on what we were deciding to actually do. That's. It.

Not a single person has bothered to discuss with me what the plan was with this, until a comment today that apparently I was supposed to have figured this out for myself and done it already. I would great benefity from being informed instead of being expected to intuit instructions from no information whatsoever.

Regardless. I'll just move the stuff over to the live site, merge the databases, and let him do his thing tomorrow morning.

- Rob
Old 04-30-2004, 05:17 PM   #9
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Oh, and as I'm moderatly proud of my little response. Here's what I responded to Bitchfest with.

I have a snippet of conversation from (Boss1)'s call to (Client), and I get the impression there's some sort of list of further changes forthcoming. I have a few exchanged emails from you and (Client), none of which said a word on what we were deciding to actually do. That's. It.

Not a single person has bothered to discuss with me what the plan was with this, until a comment today that apparently I was supposed to have figured this out for myself and done it already. I would great benefity from being informed instead of being expected to intuit instructions from no information whatsoever.

Regardless. I'll just move the stuff over to the live site, merge the databases, and let him do his thing tomorrow morning.

- Rob

Print out his bitching emails, walk into his office and demand an apology, if he gets huffy, tell him where he can stick his job and his current customers as he'll be the one screwed over if you leave.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 05:25 PM   #10
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR
Print out his bitching emails, walk into his office and demand an apology, if he gets huffy, tell him where he can stick his job and his current customers as he'll be the one screwed over if you leave.

Good idea, you will great benefity from this plan of attack.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 05:25 PM   #11
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR

And then set him on fire.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:26 PM   #12
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
And then set him on fire.

Then put him out with your man juice. Well just his face.

I got nothing.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:27 PM   #13
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

CW, I had a somewhat similar situation occur recently and I even posted about it. Everybody told me to not say shit but just find another job. I was so tempted to respond to my boss' inappropriate behavior, but I can't afford the interruption in my paycheck. Instead I am going to live vicariously through you. Now get in there and throw some more gasoline on that bridge!
judicial clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 05:28 PM   #14
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by judicial clerk
CW, I had a somewhat similar situation occur recently and I even posted about it. Everybody told me to not say shit but just find another job. I was so tempted to respond to my boss' inappropriate behavior, but I can't afford the interruption in my paycheck. Instead I am going to live vicariously through you. Now get in there and throw some more gasoline on that bridge!

And don't forget to set it on fire.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:39 PM   #15
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzie
And don't forget to set it on fire.

And then put it out with your man juice. Well, just his ass.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:54 PM   #16
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

I think he lit the match when he sent that e-mail.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:43 PM   #17
Desnudo
Coordinator

I would shove that stuffed penguin up his butt.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 06:54 PM   #18
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

How pissed is CW's boss. I know he is sitting behind his desk wanting to fire CW sooooo badly, but he realizes that will leave noone to do all the work. I just hope CW wins the race to see if he quits or gets fired. It might even turn into:
CW "Hey asshat, I quit"
Asshat "you can't quit because i am firing you!"
CW "thanks for the unemployment, err, I mean I'll go clean out my desk, good luck programming this stuff. By the way, the on switch is the button on the fron of the computer box"

Asshat "you mean this button?"
CW "no, thats the computer screen. I don't have time for this, i need to hurry up and infect your computers with every virus known to geekdom."

Is it 5 o'clock yet?
Old 04-30-2004, 06:58 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Is it 5 o'clock yet?

It's 5 o'clock somewhere.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 07:23 PM   #20
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

My computer says that you posted this at 11:30pm yesterday. Did my office building just sail across the international date line without me noticing?
Old 04-30-2004, 07:25 PM   #21
judicial clerk
College Benchwarmer

Dola, CW, maybe you should be like ksyrup and take the clients with you when you leave.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:01 AM   #22
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:

I have (many years ago now) also been in this sort of situation - my solution was to hold my ground (much as CW is now) and to find a better place to work, I have never regretted moving on from the company in question (although I did also learn a lot from working there - no least how NOT to manage people).

In summary - don't do anything rash, but don't take any shit (your email was perfectly judged imho) ... take your time looking around for a new job and ensure its an improvement over your current one.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 05-01-2004 at 10:03 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 10:46 AM   #23
Thomkal
Head Coach

CW,

Go play City of Heroes and pretend all the bad guys are your boss.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 11:26 AM   #24
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
In summary - don't do anything rash, but don't take any shit (your email was perfectly judged imho) ... take your time looking around for a new job and ensure its an improvement over your current one.

And then set everyone on fire.
Old 05-01-2004, 11:54 AM   #25
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal
CW,

Go play City of Heroes and pretend all the bad guys are your boss.

My character DOES set people on fire, you know.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:15 PM   #26
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
My character DOES set people on fire, you know.

[Mr. Burns' voice]Eeeeexcellent![/Mr. Burns' voice]