Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-02-2004, 07:34 PM   #1
primelord
Pro Rookie

OT: Unbelievable Hold 'Em hand

I couldn't believe my eyes when this hand happened so I decided to share it with you guys. You are welcome to comment on my play although the hand kind of plays itself.

The table is 8 handed.

primelord is UTG+1 and is dealt KcQc

UTG fold, primelord raises, MP1 re-raises, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, primelord calls.

Two players to the flop for 7.5 sb's.

The flop is dealt Ah 10c 5d.

primelord bets, MP1 raises, primelord calls.

Two players to the turn for 11.5 sb's.

The turn is Jc.

primelord bets, MP1 raises, primelod re-raises, MP1 caps, primelord calls

Two players to the river for 14 BB's.

The river is Ac.

primelord bets, MP1 raises, primelord re-raises, MP1 caps, primelord calls.

Final pot: 21 BB's

MP1 shows Ad As for 4 aces.
primelord shows KcQc for a Royal Flush.

Pretty wild.

Last edited by primelord : 05-02-2004 at 07:35 PM.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 07:36 PM   #2
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

if i had 4 aces and lost, i think i'd give up poker forever. did MP1 leave the table after that hand?
Old 05-02-2004, 07:39 PM   #3
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg2003
if i had 4 aces and lost, i think i'd give up poker forever. did MP1 leave the table after that hand?

No he actually hung around for awhile after that. I am sure he was upset. Probably even more so because the flop bet and call by me was questionable. Althogh with the back door straigh and flush possibilties I figured if he had raised something like K's pre-flop I might get a free card from him on the river if I represented that I had made Aces now. Once he raised my flop bet I figured I would call one more bet and check and fold the turn with no improvement.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:49 PM   #4
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Wow, I echo bigdawg in that no should lose with 4 aces. Ever. I hope your notation meant that you won $21,000, esp with a hand like that.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 07:50 PM   #5
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Stunning...nice hand.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 07:52 PM   #6
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

The guy with 4 aces was lucky that there was a 4-bet cap. In the live games that I play in, there's no cap heads-up, and I've seen guys go to the felt with their entire stacks on hands like these.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 07:52 PM   #7
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Wow, I echo bigdawg in that no should lose with 4 aces. Ever. I hope your notation meant that you won $21,000, esp with a hand like that.

Oh don't I wish. The stakes were .5/$1 so the final pot was about $21 and $10 of it was mine. So I cleared $10 on that monster.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:56 PM   #8
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I agree with your assessment of your betting. One could say the flop bet and call were questionable, but they weren't out of line give the straight possibilities. But his betting was way too conservative. There's certainly something to be said for drawing the opponent out, but in this case he kept you in the hand until you got bailed out. He got greedy trying to draw you out. Good for you!

I hit a Royal Flush once -- it is an awesome feeling. Of course, I didn't beat four aces.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 07:56 PM   #9
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic
The guy with 4 aces was lucky that there was a 4-bet cap. In the live games that I play in, there's no cap heads-up, and I've seen guys go to the felt with their entire stacks on hands like these.

Vic,

I am curious. Do you make that flop bet that I made? I think the rest of the hand is obviously routine. If it matters from the time at the table I got a read that my opponent in this hand was better than your typical Party .5/$1 player so I knew if he 3 bet me pre-flop he was doing it with a very good hand.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:57 PM   #10
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
I agree with your assessment of your betting. One could say the flop bet and call were questionable, but they weren't out of line give the straight possibilities. But his betting was way too conservative. There's certainly something to be said for drawing the opponent out, but in this case he kept you in the hand until you got bailed out. He got greedy trying to draw you out. Good for you!

I hit a Royal Flush once -- it is an awesome feeling. Of course, I didn't beat four aces.

Actually he raised every bet I made. It doesn't get much more aggressive then that.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:01 PM   #11
Lucky Jim
Mascot

Wow, amazing. I agree your call after the flop was vaguely questionable, but man, thank God you stuck around.
Lucky Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 08:14 PM   #12
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord
Vic,

I am curious. Do you make that flop bet that I made? I think the rest of the hand is obviously routine. If it matters from the time at the table I got a read that my opponent in this hand was better than your typical Party .5/$1 player so I knew if he 3 bet me pre-flop he was doing it with a very good hand.

Primelord,

I generally don't like to semibluff into a preflop re-raiser. A semibluff only has value if there is some chance that your opponent will fold. Usually, you will get raised, which cuts your drawing odds in half.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 08:22 PM   #13
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic
Primelord,

I generally don't like to semibluff into a preflop re-raiser. A semibluff only has value if there is some chance that your opponent will fold. Usually, you will get raised, which cuts your drawing odds in half.

Thanks. I thought that bet was pretty questionable. Like I said I was hoping he had raised something like K's and that the ace might scare him into letting me see to the river for cheap. However like you said he instead re-raised me (and for good reason he had 3 aces) so I had to call one more bet with the pot so big. It obviously worked out very well for me, but probably not a play I want to keep making in the future.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:50 PM   #14
Radii
Head Coach

nh
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 09:07 PM   #15
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Nice hit, primelord.

To anyone who knows, what does CO mean? I know UTG and MP1 and SB and BB and all that, but I don't know what CO stands for. Help?
Old 05-02-2004, 09:21 PM   #16
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Nice hit, primelord.

To anyone who knows, what does CO mean? I know UTG and MP1 and SB and BB and all that, but I don't know what CO stands for. Help?

How about what each of these acronyms mean?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 09:24 PM   #17
korme
Go Reds

Yeah for real, I play cards about 2-3 times a week and all of those lost me
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 09:24 PM   #18
Radii
Head Coach

CO is the cutoff, acts one before the button.

bucc, UTG is "under the gun" the first to act pre-flop, one left of the big blind.

SB and BB are small blind and big blind.

EP and MP are often general abbreviations used to describe position at the table "early position" and "middle position"
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 09:37 PM   #19
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
Yeah for real, I play cards about 2-3 times a week and all of those lost me

Drinking games don't count.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:39 PM   #20
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord
Actually he raised every bet I made. It doesn't get much more aggressive then that.
Ah. I missed the caps. Then what the hell were you doing staying in the hand? j/k
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote