Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-21-2004, 02:58 PM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

Smoking, Drinking, ....Tanning Salons?

Bill bans teens from tanning booths

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/05/21....ap/index.html

SACRAMENTO, California (AP) -- A state famous for tanned bodies and year-round sunshine would be the nation's first to ban teenagers from artificial tanning booths if a bill passed by the state Assembly becomes law.

Lawmakers, citing a rise in skin cancer cases in California and across the nation, voted 42-26 to add artificial tanning to teenage no no's that already include smoking, drinking and buying lottery tickets.

Teens often visit tanning salons before proms, vacations and weddings, say owners of an industry that claims 160,000 employees nationally and $5 billion in annual revenue. California is estimated to have 1,500 tanning salons.

Backers of the bill, including the California Society of Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery, blame tanning salons for part of 1 million new cases of skin cancer diagnosed every year in the United States. The group cited 7,400 deaths annually from melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer.

"There is a big difference between going to the beach and a tanning salon," said the bill's author, Assemblyman Joe Nation, a Democrat. "When kids go to the beach they put on sun screen."

The bill passed Thursday despite opposition from tanning salons and Republican lawmakers opposed to "meddling" in personal choices.

"If this bill passes it proves there's no part of somebody's life this Legislature won't stick its nose into," said GOP Assemblyman Ray Haynes.

Heidi Blank, manager of San Diego's Hollywood Tans, said she thought the bill could "hurt my business somewhat. But what are you going to do? There's people bigger than me making those decisions."

She said teenagers account for about 5 percent of her store's clients.

The bill, which now goes to the Senate for consideration, requires teenagers to have a doctor or surgeon's prescription before being allowed to tan indoors.

Along with 26 other states, California already requires permission from parents or a legal guardian for teens 15-18 to use artificial tanning salons. Children 14 and under must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

No I am not going to debate the health risks that tanning salons may have but does it need a Doctor's prescription? Even after they have the permission of their parents? I agree with the Assemblyman Haynes on this one

Last edited by miami_fan : 05-21-2004 at 02:58 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 03:24 PM   #2
chinaski
College Prospect

why people think they have to be tan is way beyond my comprehension. its pretty sad.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 03:29 PM   #3
MrBug708
Head Coach

Eh, there are a number of reasons. One of which is being white in certain area's actually means you have no pride and are racists, believe it or not.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 03:32 PM   #4
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
Eh, there are a number of reasons. One of which is being white in certain area's actually means you have no pride and are racists, believe it or not.

OK, MrBug, please eloborate. I didn't quite get the racist part. Is there some study or something that you know of?
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 03:33 PM   #5
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski
why people think they have to be tan is way beyond my comprehension. its pretty sad.

Maybe, I dunno, they just like being tan.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 03:35 PM   #6
druez
Banned

Quote:

Because, quite a few people might like they way they look better tan then not tan. Why is that sad? I mean some people like red shirts instead of white. Some people like to dye their hair etc...

I know, I personally find woman more attractive who have a good tan then those who are pale. I don't see the problem with people wanting to tan and I hardly find that "sad" if they do.
druez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 03:41 PM   #7
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antmeister71
OK, MrBug, please eloborate. I didn't quite get the racist part. Is there some study or something that you know of?

No, there is a lot of nationalism in the meling pot known as Southern California, and the Caucasians are often ridiculed for being "white"
Old 05-21-2004, 03:53 PM   #8
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
No, there is a lot of nationalism in the meling pot known as Southern California, and the Caucasians are often ridiculed for being "white"

I don't know about that. I haven't really experienced someone going in front of a "white" person and riduculing them for being "white". In fact, living in San Diego county for about 18 years, I probably saw the other side of the spectrum.
Old 05-21-2004, 03:55 PM   #9
Desnudo
Coordinator

Just one more step on civil liberties.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 04:05 PM   #10
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

"My God, this child is pale! Here, take this prescription down to the local tanning bed...and here's a coupon for half-off your next visit."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 04:05 PM   #11
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
I don't know about that. I haven't really experienced someone going in front of a "white" person and riduculing them for being "white". In fact, living in San Diego county for about 18 years, I probably saw the other side of the spectrum.
Eh, I mean it's not like anyone is committing many hate crimes on anyone, it's not that severe, most is in good humor, but still is reverse racism
Old 05-21-2004, 04:09 PM   #12
chinaski
College Prospect

I just dont get it, i feel the same way about people who feel the need to get butt implants, calf enhancements, and bigger titties.

looking a way, that naturally you are not.

teens, especially, feel great deal of pressure to 'look' a certain way.

However, i forgot to mention this law is retarded. Above all else, we can do whatever the hell we want with our own bodies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druez
Because, quite a few people might like they way they look better tan then not tan. Why is that sad? I mean some people like red shirts instead of white. Some people like to dye their hair etc...

I know, I personally find woman more attractive who have a good tan then those who are pale. I don't see the problem with people wanting to tan and I hardly find that "sad" if they do.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 04:17 PM   #13
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Being tan isn't stupid, but people who need to be tan year round are abusing it. If you want a tan go out in the sun and get one, don't use a booth. The problem with tanning is the same one as alchohol or smoking, people abuse it. Someone who tans 365 days a year is taking a health risk. I see no reason why people who live in California have any need to go to a tanning bed. It is really quite lazy.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 05:01 PM   #14
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Eh, I mean it's not like anyone is committing many hate crimes on anyone, it's not that severe, most is in good humor, but still is reverse racism

I still don't see what tanning booths have to do with reverse racism. If you were to say sports, I would have to say yes. But I don't see that someone is compelled to tan because they are being riduculed by minorities.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:30 PM   #15
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Man, is this gonna result in the increase in back alley tanning?
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 06:48 PM   #16
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
I still don't see what tanning booths have to do with reverse racism. If you were to say sports, I would have to say yes. But I don't see that someone is compelled to tan because they are being riduculed by minorities.

Wasnt what I was getting at, but there is a lot of pressure to look a certain way when it comes to skin tone.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:04 PM   #17
tucker342
Pro Starter

to both MrBug and the new bill.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 10:08 PM   #18
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
Just one more step on civil liberties.

Next they will take our ability to do cartwheels. Bastards.

I agree, let the people fry.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:58 PM   #19
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:

Agreed.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 01:33 AM   #20
Troll
H.S. Freshman Team

i'm tanning in beds right now(and have been 4 2 weeks) b/c i burn badly in the sun, in a booth i can control how much time i am exposed(5 minutes usually), this prevents me from getting sun burn when summer hits and i'm out in the sun
Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 02:00 AM   #21
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Quote:
Reverse racism in sports? Or reverse racism is sports for being as white as goat?

But wait a minute, reverse racism in sports? please elaborate on THAT.
Old 05-22-2004, 02:32 AM   #22
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Reverse Racism in sports is easy..

White men can't jump anyone?

ooh or dusty bakers famous comments "our kind handles the heat better"
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 02:35 AM   #23
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

I think the racism against minorities is way more overt and much more serious.
Old 05-22-2004, 01:54 PM   #24
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
I think the racism against minorities is way more overt and much more serious.

Well, of course you do, you are a self proclaimed liberal
Old 05-22-2004, 02:12 PM   #25
Vince
Pro Starter

My initial reaction to this is 'great...tanning salons are ridiculous anyways.' But then...elimination of freedom of choice, no matter how it comes about, sucks. I think my girlfriend (when shown this article) had a great idea...teens should need parental consent. A lot of the time, young people are ignorant of the dangers of things like this, and in an effort to be 'popular' will put themselves at risk without knowing it. I think making them aware of the risk is a better solution than completely banning them from something.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 03:13 PM   #26
korme
Go Reds

i have gone tanning
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 06:38 PM   #27
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
Reverse racism in sports? Or reverse racism is sports for being as white as goat?

But wait a minute, reverse racism in sports? please elaborate on THAT.

This is my experience from living in Southern California. I have gone to school with a number of good to great athletes while I was there. The races that played sports was such a wide range. Where the reverse racism comes from is that it is commonly believed that the black athlete is the best athlete in all instances of any sport, especially for particular position. Don't get me wrong, I know that racism works both ways, but you can't deny there is reverse racism. I knew a number of Filipino, White, Korean and other athletes who weren't able to get a college degree in sports despite being one of the top athletes in their respective county or even state.