Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-25-2004, 10:12 AM   #1
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Memorial Day Plans?

Fountains of Wayne are playing in Dewey Beach, Delaware this Saturday night. Since my family's still in Oklahoma, I don't have any big Memorial Day weekend plans and I was thinking about going, even though it's a three hour trip. Two questions:

1- Has anybody seen a live FoW show, and is it worth a three hour drive?

2- Anybody in the area interested in going as well?

CamEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:30 AM   #2
Easy Mac

taking my last college exam at 9 am. Packing up my car with as much shit as possible so I can begin moving to Charleston.

edit: and the night before I'm going to see Live, Fuel, and Jason "I suck" Mraz.

Last edited by Easy Mac : 05-25-2004 at 10:30 AM.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:32 AM   #3
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
1- Has anybody seen a live FoW show, and is it worth a three hour drive?

2- Anybody in the area interested in going as well?

I've seen FOW at lesat a dozen times, and they are a quality live show. They even played the Crank Yankers theme once.

As to whether they are worth a 3 hour drive, I guess it depends upon whether you're dying to see them or not. I think only you could really answer that question.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:37 AM   #4
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
I've seen FOW at lesat a dozen times, and they are a quality live show. They even played the Crank Yankers theme once.

As to whether they are worth a 3 hour drive, I guess it depends upon whether you're dying to see them or not. I think only you could really answer that question.

I am a big FoW fan, but three hours is about as far as I would drive to see any band. It's either that or They Might Be Giants in Baltimore.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:43 AM   #5
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
I am a big FoW fan, but three hours is about as far as I would drive to see any band. It's either that or They Might Be Giants in Baltimore.

Since we're both big fans of these bands, I can easily recommend FoW over TMBG.

TMBG has been very unimpressive the last two times I've seen them. I'm not crazy about the last album + EP, and that's predominantly what they play.

Last time I saw them:

Songs from Flood: 1
Songs from John Henry: 0 (a ridiculously overlooked album)
Songs from Apollo 18: 0 (this is a crime against the fans, IMHO).

I mean, nothing off Apollo 18? Is there a single TMBG Fan who wouldn't put that in their top 3 albums? If not top 2?
Old 05-25-2004, 10:47 AM   #6
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Since we're both big fans of these bands, I can easily recommend FoW over TMBG.

TMBG has been very unimpressive the last two times I've seen them. I'm not crazy about the last album + EP, and that's predominantly what they play.

Last time I saw them:

Songs from Flood: 1
Songs from John Henry: 0 (a ridiculously overlooked album)
Songs from Apollo 18: 0 (this is a crime against the fans, IMHO).

I mean, nothing off Apollo 18? Is there a single TMBG Fan who wouldn't put that in their top 3 albums? If not top 2?

Really? Nothing from Apollo 18? The last time I saw them (which was about a year ago) they played "She's Actual Size" and "The Statue Got Me High". I wish they'd played more from John Henry (I don't remember them playing anything other than "Snail Shell"), but overall I thought it was a pretty great show.

The only thing stopping me from TMBG is the fact that it's a free show at the Maryland Science Center, and I don't want to drive an hour and a half to see a 45 minute set. Not sure I want to drive three hours home from Dewey Beach, either. Bah... maybe I'll just skip both.

I did pick up tickets to Grant Lee Phillips and John Doe today, as well as tickets to Ben Folds, Guster, and Rufus Wainwright.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:55 AM   #7
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Really? Nothing from Apollo 18?

Yes. The music police should have cuffed them and taken them away after the encore.

I'm sad that I missed it, but about 3 years ago they did a number of theme shows in a consecutive week. One of the performances was Apollo 18 in it's entirety (including all of Fingertips!). I think this is also when they really ironed out the multiple backing bands situation. Now the backing band seems to half determine what songs they'll be playing that night. (I know the "Band of Dans" and "The Other Thing" are two current backing bands).
Old 05-25-2004, 10:58 AM   #8
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
as well as tickets to Ben Folds, Guster, and Rufus Wainwright.

It's times like these that I hate living in Tallahassee. In fact, most of my favorite artists seem to be boycotting the entire state.

Enjoy that show, I'm sure it will be awesome.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 11:54 AM   #9
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Yes. The music police should have cuffed them and taken them away after the encore.

I'm sad that I missed it, but about 3 years ago they did a number of theme shows in a consecutive week. One of the performances was Apollo 18 in it's entirety (including all of Fingertips!). I think this is also when they really ironed out the multiple backing bands situation. Now the backing band seems to half determine what songs they'll be playing that night. (I know the "Band of Dans" and "The Other Thing" are two current backing bands).

I forgot.. .they also did Fingertips at the last show (which was with the Band of Dans). Gah, how could I have forgotten that... I thought it was the coolest thing.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:55 AM   #10
McSweeny
College Starter

i'll be catching the Red Sox-Baltimore makeup game Monday. Really looking forward to seeing Curt pitch
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 11:56 AM   #11
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
It's times like these that I hate living in Tallahassee. In fact, most of my favorite artists seem to be boycotting the entire state.

Enjoy that show, I'm sure it will be awesome.

Oh c'mon now... I see that Bubba Sparxxx is coming to Florida State.

move to D.C. and become a high priced Beltway lawyer, Ksyrup!!
Old 05-25-2004, 11:57 AM   #12
Philliesfan980
Banned

Phillies vs. Mets at Citizens Bank Park. Its always fun to see the NYers drive 2 hours to the game just to go home with their tales between their legs.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 12:00 PM   #13
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Giving a speech to some vets.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 12:07 PM   #14
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator
Giving a speech to some vets.

As always, you are the man.

Actually, on Memorial Day itself I'm planning on going to Arlington National Cemetary to pay my respects at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
Old 05-25-2004, 12:13 PM   #15
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Well, I was planning on going to ride my jetskis on monday, but its going to be rather cool for that only reaching 83. So we might just go out there and cook out. Im thinking that thursday looks much better temp wise, so Ill probably get my fix then, besides the lake wont be so crowded.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 12:42 PM   #16
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Oh c'mon now... I see that Bubba Sparxxx is coming to Florida State.

move to D.C. and become a high priced Beltway lawyer, Ksyrup!!

Uh....no. I'll stay here and be content with your description of the show.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 11:14 PM   #17
Craptacular
College Starter

Disc golf. Lots and lots of disc golf. The goal is to play at least 15 courses in WI and MN over three days.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 11:43 PM   #18
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craptacular
Disc golf. Lots and lots of disc golf. The goal is to play at least 15 courses in WI and MN over three days.
Nice, I was into frisbee golf a ton before my playing partner moved out of state so I've been slacking lately. Have you ever got to play any courses in California? There are some pretty good ones all up and down the coast.

JPM
Old 05-25-2004, 11:53 PM   #19
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennywisesb
Nice, I was into frisbee golf a ton before my playing partner moved out of state so I've been slacking lately. Have you ever got to play any courses in California? There are some pretty good ones all up and down the coast.

JPM

Nope. I've played lots of courses in WI and MN (probably over 50 different ones), along with one in Denver, and one in Ann Arbor, MI. I only started playing about three years ago, and I'm hoping to at least bring a few discs with me most times I travel. I've had the problem you've had, but with ball golf. All of my friends and old co-workers that golf have moved away.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:05 AM   #20
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Nope. I've played lots of courses in WI and MN (probably over 50 different ones), along with one in Denver, and one in Ann Arbor, MI. I only started playing about three years ago, and I'm hoping to at least bring a few discs with me most times I travel. I've had the problem you've had, but with ball golf. All of my friends and old co-workers that golf have moved away.
I used to be a huge golfer in high school 5 years ago. I played varsity my last two years and got to be pretty good. But when I went away to college (in a city that is pretty up-scale) and had to start paying the huge green fees (upwards of 80+ dollars) I had to find a new hobby to take its place. And thats where frisbee golf hooked me. Basically the same premise, but free at most places, and it takes like 1-2 hours instead of the regular 4+ hours to play 18 holes. If you are every going to come to California for any reason, and are going to bring your discs, hit me up and I'll tell you all about the courses you need to play.

JPM
Old 05-26-2004, 09:32 AM   #21
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
I did pick up tickets to Grant Lee Phillips and John Doe today,

Ahh, you found the Birchmere? I love that place, have seen a couple of great shows there.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:33 AM   #22
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:

Frolf?
Old 05-26-2004, 02:46 PM   #23
ice4277
Pro Rookie

My plans for the weekend mainly involve Fri-Sunday; going to the Pistons game on Friday, then spending most of Saturday and Sunday down at Movement 2004 (big yearly music fest in downtown Detroit). Monday, probably just hang out, drink a couple beers, throw a steak or two on the grill.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 03:02 PM   #24
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Ahh, you found the Birchmere? I love that place, have seen a couple of great shows there.

You should go with me on June 13th, if only so I don't have to go by myself.