Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-27-2004, 10:48 PM   #1
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Life without TV

This past weekend I had TV in my home for the first time in 6 months.

We bought a new home in late January, and my wife and I have been doing something house related for almost the entire time, or going out somewhere. We watched DVD's sometimes but no Direct TV or even basic channels until this last weekend.

Can't say I missed it much, but now at least everything is new.

It started out as, "let's see how long we can go without," and then we forgot we didn't even have it until we wanted to watch the convention.

All those hours put into something else was kinda cool.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:50 PM   #2
bbor
Pro Starter

No tv for 6 months???

Are you Rudy from survivor?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:52 PM   #3
Senator

Nah man, I have a pretty full life and lots of cool hobbies, I just didn't miss it. I am online alot and most of my news came from there.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 07-27-2004, 10:53 PM   #4
bbor
Pro Starter

I am online a lot also...but i enjoy the back ground buzz of the tv.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:55 PM   #5
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I'm going through the same thing, Senator. For the past couple of years, my TV options were 98% in Italian. Nice to watch, but non capisco for the most part. The only English station I got was CNN International. Now that I'm back over, and I have my nice new TV, I find that I don't really watch it all that much. At least not like the 20 hours a day it was turned on before I started my travels. Basically just a baseball game every now and then, and getting caught up on the South Parks I've missed.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:58 PM   #6
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I rarely watch TV.

I'm home with my son during the day - it's basically turned to Noggin all day. when he goes down for a nap, I turn it off. I literally Tivo Good Eats and Magnum PI, and even the latter I'm finding I'm not watching.

I turned on Around the Horn for the first time in months the other day - Jay Mariotti was, unfortunately, still on it. Click. Later, I turned to PTI for, again, the first time in a while. Kornheiser and Wilbon were gone...replaced by Skip Bayless (ok) and Steven A Smith. frantic CLICK. Most of my time now is spent either on the computer (Unreal Tournament) or *shudder* reading a book. I haven't read in years, being a notoriously slow reader...but now I'm polishing off a book in less than a week.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:04 PM   #7
clintl
College Starter

When I was a kid, we lived for 5 years (when I was age 6 to 11) in a place where we couldn't get TV reception. We only got to watch TV when visiting relatives or friends.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:21 AM   #8
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
I literally Tivo Good Eats and Magnum PI, and even the latter I'm finding I'm not watching.

Wow. I usually just figuratively Tivo my favorite shows. You go that extra mile!
Old 07-28-2004, 08:26 AM   #9
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

i could definitely do without TV in the football off-season.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 08:44 AM   #10
Senator

You noticed I made sure we got turned back on around training camp.

Old 07-28-2004, 08:50 AM   #11
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I went without television for two months before my family moved up to Virginia. I didn't really miss it. In fact, one could say I'm still going without it. We only have cable on one television, and it's always turned to something I hate. I haven't watched a show (other than convention coverage) in months.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:01 AM   #12
Bee
Pro Starter

I once went 2 days with television. It really gave me a new outlook on life and changed my whole perspective on things.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:05 AM   #13
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I haven't had a television for about 2 years now. I don't miss it all that much. There are no shows on any more that I watch or am interested in. I catch sporting events in bars and pubs.

That said, I do have a TV and DVD player and tend to watch a lot of TV shows on DVD. A lot. Between me and Lady HB we have: Simpsons (2-4), Buffy (1-4), Angel (1-3), Sex & The City (1-6.5), Firefly, Freaks & Geeks, 24 (1-2), Malcolm in the Middle, Star Trek Next Gen (3-7), and the entire Monty Python's Flying Circus collection.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 09:32 AM   #14
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I don't have television in my barracks room. Any television I watch is at home in Missouri over a weekend, which happens about once every two or three weekends.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:07 AM   #15
Radii
Head Coach

I mainly watch TV for sports. I watch a lot of TV, yes, and there are a lot of shows that I watch with OlieGirl, and a few shows that we both watch that I really really like(Nip/Tuck being the only one that's running now), but I could certainly live without the TV for part of the year at least.

I think I would only truly miss it dearly during the baseball playoffs, NFL playoffs, and NCAA Tournament. I would miss it during the NFL and NCAA regular seasons as well, but I think I could live without it if I had to. But if it was March Madness time and I didn't have a TV? That's suffering, right there.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:29 AM   #16
Franklinnoble
Banned

Dear God, I wish I could convince my wife to give up the TV. I'd be so happy without it.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote