Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-28-2004, 10:45 AM   #1
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Thumbs up OT: Cowboys release Hutchinson

He claims that he will make the Cowboys regret that decision.

HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:46 AM   #2
Cuckoo
College Starter

The guy just has zero pocket presence. He has all the tools but when you can't avoid a rush at all, the likelihood of you making anyone regret cutting you is slim.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:48 AM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I thought this happened a few days ago. Maybe that was just a rumor.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:49 AM   #4
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Well, we know he can take a hit. Sort of the Ivan Drago of football.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:50 AM   #5
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Maybe now he'll go back to the Cardinals minor league system.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:51 AM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Well, we know he can take a hit. Sort of the Ivan Drago of football.

More like the Rob Johnson of football.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:53 AM   #7
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

And for all the Quincy bashers out there, the difference between Hutch and Q was Q went to all the minicamps, worked his butt off in the offseason and didn't moan. The guy has been under fire ever since he took on a Cowboys uniform and has handled it much better then Hutchinson.

I would take Q anyday over Hutch despite Hutch having all the "tools".
Old 07-28-2004, 10:53 AM   #8
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
I thought this happened a few days ago. Maybe that was just a rumor.

I thought so too. I was planning on making a thread about it several days ago but forgot to.

Ah well, don't let the door hit you on the way out, Hutch...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:54 AM   #9
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrog Purple
And for all the Quincy bashers out there, the difference between Hutch and Q was Q went to all the minicamps, worked his butt off in the offseason and didn't moan. The guy has been under fire ever since he took on a Cowboys uniform and has handled it much better then Hutchinson.

Agreed completely. While I don't think Quincy will ever be a great quarterback, I admire the guy's ethic tremendously.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:54 AM   #10
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Despite all that, he will be picked up by someone. To be fair, he should never have been forced to play as early as he was. But I highly doubt Dallas will regret this decision. He doesn't have pocket presence as was mentioned and he isn't much of a leader from what I've heard either. A waste of $4 million.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 10:54 AM   #11
JeeberD
General Manager

Dola-

Quote:

I heart HFP...

Old 07-28-2004, 11:00 AM   #12
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
I would take Q anyday over Hutch despite Hutch being a "tool".

Agreed.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:01 AM   #13
rkmsuf
Head Coach

What tools does Hutchinson have?
Old 07-28-2004, 11:01 AM   #14
JeeberD
General Manager

Size. Strong arm. White.

Think that's about it...

Old 07-28-2004, 11:03 AM   #15
Cuckoo
College Starter

You know the part that bothers me about all of this is that Hutchinson is upset with the Cowboys for making him play in NFL Europe instead of releasing him ahead of time. First of all, at that point they hadn't signed Testeverde yet. They were giving him as much of an opportunity as possible. It's not like they wanted to eat all that money they gave him. And he bombed in NFL Europe. Is that the Cowboys' fault? Now, he's mad that they released him. Well, you know Chad, they could've let you rot as the third stringer or on the practice squad instead of taking a 1.5 million dollar cap hit next year. Instead, they decided to give you an opportunity elsewhere, where you may actually have a shot. And you're mad about it... *sigh*

Last edited by Cuckoo : 07-28-2004 at 11:03 AM.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:03 AM   #16
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Also highly rated in the hair department by Mel Kiper.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:03 AM   #17
rkmsuf
Head Coach

impressive.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:04 AM   #18
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Size. Strong arm. White.

Think that's about it...

Shiiiit. How did I ever end up here then?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:06 AM   #19
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo
You know the part that bothers me about all of this is that Hutchinson is upset with the Cowboys for making him play in NFL Europe instead of releasing him ahead of time. First of all, at that point they hadn't signed Testeverde yet. They were giving him as much of an opportunity as possible. It's not like they wanted to eat all that money they gave him. And he bombed in NFL Europe. Is that the Cowboys' fault? Now, he's mad that they released him. Well, you know Chad, they could've let you rot as the third stringer or on the practice squad instead of taking a 1.5 million dollar cap hit next year. Instead, they decided to give you an opportunity elsewhere, where you may actually have a shot. And you're mad about it... *sigh*

He should have gone to NFL Europe the last two seasons, but he refused to go last season.

At least Jerry learned his lesson and structured Henson's deal much better for the team if he is a bust also.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:11 AM   #20
Franklinnoble
Banned

Bah. If the Cowboys are smart, they'll start Testaverde at QB this year. Carter is a nice guy and all, but so was Danny Wuerffel. The common denominator? Neither really should be a professional quarterback.

Maybe Henson will be "the man" someday, but it won't be this year, and potential doesn't win ballgames. That's why I expect that Mark Brunell will start for Washington this year, and Gibbs will groom Ramsey for the future. The Cowboys should do the same thing. Yeah, Testaverde is 41 years old, and has all the mobility of Jabba the Hutt, but he knows Parcells system, and he generally won't screw it up. Dallas should be a heavy-duty rushing team this year, anyway. Carter and Henson should ride the pine for a season, and then a determination can be made as to whether either is going to be a long term solution. Personally, I don't think there's a lot of growth potential with Carter - he's about as good as he's gonna get. I know nothing about Henson, but supposedly, he's got great talent.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:15 AM   #21
Cuckoo
College Starter

I disagree with you Franklinnoble. You've gotta find out if Carter can do it, and you won't learn by leaving him on the bench. He's not a first or second year guy anymore. It's time to put up or get cut. This will be the last chance for Carter, and if he doesn't markedly improve from last season, he'll be gone.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:15 AM   #22
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:

I think Q may actually end up be a good/great QB. If he really is buckling down and working hard (he is or Bill would have already shown him the door) then he has all the tools needed. His big problem has always been a lack of self-discipline. He needed structure and a strong hand or he would not work as hard (and even fall into bad habits, like Ricky Williams, Puff the magic dragon kind of habits).

At UGA his first year was his best and it was also the last year he had something to prove. By all acounts after that the coaches gave him free reign (and Donnan and crew were not known for running a tight ship). He and Jasper Sanks just fell apart. Neither worked very hard and both were big fans of the Doobie Brothers if you know what I mean. That finally got Jasper thrown off the team.

My early speculation on QC was that he would not take to being pushed by Parcells mostly because of how Donnan felt he had to let him get away with murder. Now, I think it might be that Donnan never had the man parts to stand up to Quincy, and all QC needed was a fire set under him. I hope he does well (but the rest of the team falls apart, because I hate the Cowboys).
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 11:24 AM   #23
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Hutch can sing.

:hardknocks:
Old 07-28-2004, 11:26 AM   #24
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Well I won't go into my annual Q defense mode (too early for that wait a couple weeks ) but the Q of last season and the Q of the previous administration are two totally different quarterbacks. The numbers don't quite show the remarkable improvement of this kid. If he continues progressing at half the rate he showed last season, he will be a serviceable/good quarterback.

Is he the second coming of Bart Starr? No, but he has at least shown the desire to improve when someone gives him a chance, has a little faith in him and when someone keeps the same system for him. This is the first time he will have the same system in two consecutive seasons. I know few young quarterbacks that have basically started over from scratch each of their first 3 seasons and been great.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:30 AM   #25
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Yeah, Testaverde is 41 years old, and has all the mobility of Jabba the Hutt, but he knows Parcells system, and he generally won't screw it up.

Have you ever actually watched Testaverde play? If the game doesn't mean anything, he may not screw it up, but give him a game where something is on the line and you're looking at 3 INTs easy. I've been following him since he was picked by the Bucs, and he's been doing this ever since.

He had, what, one good year with the Jets (in his entire NFL career), and that was with Curtis Martin carrying the offense?
Old 07-28-2004, 11:32 AM   #26
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I still don't trust Quincy. He does not leave me with a calm feeling when the game is on the line. I always feel like he's one step away from giving away the game. I hope I don't always feel that way.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:40 AM   #27
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
I still don't trust Quincy. He does not leave me with a calm feeling when the game is on the line. I always feel like he's one step away from giving away the game. I hope I don't always feel that way.

Watch the UGA vs. LSU game from his freshman year. If he can get that magic back, he will be great.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:43 AM   #28
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

quincy, if he made good decisions he might be good, he has the ability, but no decision making skills.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:43 AM   #29
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack

He had, what, one good year with the Jets (in his entire NFL career), and that was with Curtis Martin carrying the offense?

I already said the the Cowboys should be a very run-oriented team this season, which is precisely the sort of offense Testaverde can thrive in.

However, I expect that in reality, Carter will start, especially because he HAS worked hard, and he's a favorite of Jerry Jones.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:04 PM   #30
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Have you ever actually watched Testaverde play? If the game doesn't mean anything, he may not screw it up, but give him a game where something is on the line and you're looking at 3 INTs easy. I've been following him since he was picked by the Bucs, and he's been doing this ever since.

Dude, I'm a Vinny-hater and even I feel you're blowing this out of proportion. He was actually playing pretty decent when they (finally) let Chad in there to play. Look up the stats if you want, it wasn't really his fault the Jets lost all those games that year. Pretty much the same story last year. The defense and O-line were just killing the team early on.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:21 PM   #31
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
I already said the the Cowboys should be a very run-oriented team this season, which is precisely the sort of offense Testaverde can thrive in.

However, I expect that in reality, Carter will start, especially because he HAS worked hard, and he's a favorite of Jerry Jones.

It won't matter a whit to Parcells that Q is a favorite of Jerry (which is debatable IMO) when it comes down to who starts at QB for Dallas. The only thing that'll matter is which QB gives the team the best chance to win. Carter is not a horrible QB despite his readily apparent faults and should have better help this year than last, so long as injuries don't get out of hand. It'll be interesting to see if he can overcome his faults or if he's doomed to be no more than a backup in the NFL.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:37 PM   #32
StormcloudCreations
Uniter of Men

Quote:

I think he's better in that area than he was in his Buc days (I remember he *averaged* around 1-2 INTs every game in those days; didn't he have like 4-5 in one game awhile ago?). Everybody loved his arm and ability back then, but all I thought was "Turnovers lose games".
StormcloudCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:42 PM   #33
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
Watch the UGA vs. LSU game from his freshman year. If he can get that magic back, he will be great.

GD, Didn't you warn us on a thread back when we drafted Quincy that one game he would amaze us and the next game he would break our heart?

I remember someone saying that because it stuck with me, and has turned out to be true in many cases.

Still, he has earned the right to be given a shot.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 12:56 PM   #34
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator
GD, Didn't you warn us on a thread back when we drafted Quincy that one game he would amaze us and the next game he would break our heart?

I remember someone saying that because it stuck with me, and has turned out to be true in many cases.

Still, he has earned the right to be given a shot.
Yup, that was me. My earlier post showed why that might could change.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 07-28-2004 at 12:56 PM.