Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-20-2003, 04:34 PM   #1
Robbiero67
Mascot

David Boston NOT franchised!!

Suprisingly, the Cards will not franchise Boston...here's the link...

Cardinals | Boston Will Not be Tagged - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
11:29 PT: Updating an earlier story, the Arizona Cardinals have announced the team will not place either the franchise or transitional tags on WR David Boston. Vice president of player personnel Rod Graves said the team has offered a long-term deal to Boston and the sides have yet to reach an agreement. Both sides will meet Thursday night for further negotiations

Hmmm...this is good news for my Dolphins as second tier receivers such as Ike Hilliard and Kevin Dyson will not be overly-compensated for being the best on the market.

Rob

Robbiero67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 04:36 PM   #2
Kodos
Resident Alien

Arizona may be the one team that is even less dedicated to winning than the Bengals.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 04:46 PM   #3
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Kodos
Arizona may be the one team that is even less dedicated to winning than the Bengals.

Not possible.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 05:02 PM   #4
TroyF
Coordinator

I doubt I'd franchise him if I was Arizona.

He's a guy, despite all of the talent, I'd be very leery of giving a ton of money to.

He dropped more balls at the beginning of last season than a drunk, blind juggler with one arm.

I'd let someone else take a flyer on him if you can't work out a deal that is team friendly.

If he does go into FA, the Falcons have to be licking their chops.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 05:14 PM   #5
Robbiero67
Mascot

Granted, last year he did have a case of the dropsies and he is still extremely immature, but he is also a fantastic talent.

He is easily one of the top 5 receivers in the league, and with his past performances I'd think the Cards would look past/work through some of last season's issues. There is still a chance that the Cards can work out a long-term deal, but I have to believe Boston will take his chances on the open market. He is the best available receiver in FA this year and he now has the opportunity to leave a team that is consistently terrible.

Either the Cardinal's management is as bad as I think it is, or Boston has some deeper personal problems that are behind this.

Rob
Old 02-20-2003, 07:05 PM   #6
Masked
College Starter

Considering the Cardinals are $36 million under the cap, this move is a bit odd. They need some skill player to build their offense around. A top WR would make it easier to attract a veteren QB or help a young guy develop. If they don't manage to sign him, free agents are goign to start wondering how committed they are to winning (as with Cincinatti). Maybe they are confident no one will pay him anywhere near $5M/year, but with Price off the market, I expect he will, at least, get very close to that.

I also suspect there is something else behind this such as personal problem or some unwritten agreement between the team and Boston.

Is there talk of the team being up for sale? Any reason to try and keep the payroll very low?

Last edited by Masked : 02-20-2003 at 07:12 PM.
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 07:09 PM   #7
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

The Dolphins need to do one of the following scenarios:

A) Sign Dyson and Hillard
B) Sign Boston and Dyson
C) Sign Boston and Hillard

I would guess that we would only get one of the three. Who else is avalible?
Old 02-20-2003, 07:15 PM   #8
Kodos
Resident Alien

Wink

Firing Dave Wannstedt might help clear some space against the cap. Hey, it's worth a try.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 09:32 PM   #9
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by TroyF
I doubt I'd franchise him if I was Arizona.

He's a guy, despite all of the talent, I'd be very leery of giving a ton of money to.

He dropped more balls at the beginning of last season than a drunk, blind juggler with one arm.

I'd let someone else take a flyer on him if you can't work out a deal that is team friendly.

If he does go into FA, the Falcons have to be licking their chops.

TroyF

Let's not forget his drug problems.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2003, 11:27 PM   #10
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Who cares, the Falcons would still be getting a damned fine deal if they got him .
Old 02-21-2003, 12:29 AM   #11
Robbiero67
Mascot

Golden Eagle: As far as receivers go for the Dolphins, Boston is likely out of their price range. When they finish restructuring the deals of Zach Thomas, James Mcknight, Tim Ruddy and others they will only have a few million to play with.

Now count in signing UFA Rob Konrad, RFA Adewale Oquneleye, the drafted rookies, and a quality OLB/OT/WR in FA and there isn't much money to play with. Especially since the Dolphins may attempt a run at OLB Takeo Spikes of Cinncy (5 mil. per), OLB Anthony Simmons of Seattle (who will likely demand between 2-3.5), OLT Wayne Gandy of Pitt., or OLT Luke Petitgout of the NYG.

Still possible Wide-out options include:

Boston--Although he will likely prove to be too expensive, and if the Dolphins get into negotiations it would really only be as leverage by Boston's agent to drive up his value.

Ike Hilliard-- He's young and talented, but oft-injured. He shouldn't be too pricey, but the Giants have said they are still interested in resigning him.

Kevin Dyson-- Also young, also injured often. I'd rather have Hilliard personally, as Dyson has never quite fulfilled his potential, but he has shown flashes and he would definitely be an upgrade over McKnight or Dedric Ward.

Willie Jackson-- Veteran receiver, formerly of the Saints with whom he had some moderate success. Last season had a forgettable year with the 'Skins, catching only 1 pass I believe. He would be signed at the vet. minimum, maybe he has something left, who knows? His agent says he wants to play in Miami though.

Oronde Gadsden-- Bad toes and slow speed, but he does make monster grabs. Will test FA market, I think he will find it tougher then he expects. If he returns I think it is as the third guy on the chart.

Cris Carter-- Prima dona who is way past his prime. Wants to be assured starting spot, won't happen so he won't play for Fins.

Marcus Robinson-- Bears will or have released him. Miami is definitely interested, and he would make a great first/second option if he could ever recover from his injuries.

Others: Curtis Conway or Darrell Jackson of Seattle (RFA)

I think Miami will sign OLB Simmons, OLT Gandy and WR Hilliard, but we shall see...

Rob
Old 02-21-2003, 12:30 AM   #12
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Supposedly, this is one of the strongest WR-draft ever. Do y'all think this is a part of it?
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 12:37 AM   #13
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Robbiero67
Golden Eagle: As far as receivers go for the Dolphins, Boston is likely out of their price range. When they finish restructuring the deals of Zach Thomas, James Mcknight, Tim Ruddy and others they will only have a few million to play with.

Now count in signing UFA Rob Konrad, RFA Adewale Oquneleye, the drafted rookies, and a quality OLB/OT/WR in FA and there isn't much money to play with. Especially since the Dolphins may attempt a run at OLB Takeo Spikes of Cinncy (5 mil. per), OLB Anthony Simmons of Seattle (who will likely demand between 2-3.5), OLT Wayne Gandy of Pitt., or OLT Luke Petitgout of the NYG.

Still possible Wide-out options include:

Boston--Although he will likely prove to be too expensive, and if the Dolphins get into negotiations it would really only be as leverage by Boston's agent to drive up his value.

Ike Hilliard-- He's young and talented, but oft-injured. He shouldn't be too pricey, but the Giants have said they are still interested in resigning him.

Kevin Dyson-- Also young, also injured often. I'd rather have Hilliard personally, as Dyson has never quite fulfilled his potential, but he has shown flashes and he would definitely be an upgrade over McKnight or Dedric Ward.

Willie Jackson-- Veteran receiver, formerly of the Saints with whom he had some moderate success. Last season had a forgettable year with the 'Skins, catching only 1 pass I believe. He would be signed at the vet. minimum, maybe he has something left, who knows? His agent says he wants to play in Miami though.

Oronde Gadsden-- Bad toes and slow speed, but he does make monster grabs. Will test FA market, I think he will find it tougher then he expects. If he returns I think it is as the third guy on the chart.

Cris Carter-- Prima dona who is way past his prime. Wants to be assured starting spot, won't happen so he won't play for Fins.

Marcus Robinson-- Bears will or have released him. Miami is definitely interested, and he would make a great first/second option if he could ever recover from his injuries.

Others: Curtis Conway or Darrell Jackson of Seattle (RFA)

I think Miami will sign OLB Simmons, OLT Gandy and WR Hilliard, but we shall see...

Rob

Interesting anyalsis. Why are we resigning McKnight when there are better options out there?

I would like to see the fins go after a stronger offensive lineman for sure. And also we could always bring it another veteran QB to make things more competitive. I dont think Lucas is pushing Fiedler.
Old 02-21-2003, 12:39 AM   #14
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Quote:
Not possible.
You can see the argument now . . .

"My team sucks worse!"

"Mine does!"

"Oh, yeah . . . mine can give away wins by tripping our OWN running back on his way to the game winning touchdown!"

"Uhh . . . "
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 01:04 AM   #15
Robbiero67
Mascot

Well, we are "restructuring" McKnight, which will allow Rick Spielman and others a chance to see how low they can get James to go on his contract (currently approx. 1.5 mil). If Miami can save more by restructuring then by releasing him then it is a no-brainer to keep him at least for the time being. After all, he does have talent and he is used to the system/team.

As for OL and backup QB, I agree completely. At OL, I think we need some mean guys up front. I'd personally love to see Oakland G Mo Collins in a Dolphins uni. The guy is a UFA, and has a real rough mean streak. Gandy would also be a good addition as currently there are no pure left tackles on Miami's roster. Mark Dixon, who started there most of last year will likely be back, but he primarily plays guard. Another option would be Jets G Randy Thomas. He is not as mean as Collins, but he is young/tough and It'd be great to steal him from those losers.

The QB position will be solved through FA, but I really hope I'm wrong and we solve it through the draft. Most likely scenario is that the Dolphins sign one of the following to backup or even COMPETE with Fiedler (not Lucas, he has to go!!!): Brian Griese, Kordell Stewart, Jake Delhomme, Neil O' Donnell or Rob Johnson.

If I get my wish and we go QB through the draft the first pick by Miami is #17 in the 2nd rd. This pick or a few slots higher could possibly reach Dave Ragone (Louisville), Kyle Boller (UC), or even Chris Simms (UT). While none is a sure thing (what is?) I'd prefer any above to those veterans listed previously.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:14 AM   #16
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I dont see any of those QBs getting to the second round. I think we will maybe take Senica Wallace from Iowa St., but anywhere from the 5th to 7th rd.

I think we will use the second rd. pick on a linebacker or an offensive lineman. There could be some decent recievers on the board too at that time.

Of the veteran QBs listed, Kordell Stewart would be the most interesting. The guy either has an excellent year or just plain sucks.

All this football talk is making me want to whip out my copy of FOF.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:40 AM   #17
Raven
College Prospect

Boston is coming to Baltimore.

Come on, David. You know you want that ring.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 01:45 AM   #18
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally posted by Robbiero67

Rob

I would expect Seattle to make a major push to resign Simmons. When he was healthy he was pretty much their best defensive player this year. They are in good shape with the cap so it could come down to whether or not he believes that Seattle will be in the playoffs in the near future.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 08:36 AM   #19
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Who knows how Boston will recover from his injury...combine that with some off field troubles and you'll see some leery offers. I'd be surprised if he lands a blockbuster deal...

The good part is there's a chance a team get's a relative bargain...
Old 02-21-2003, 09:46 AM   #20
Thomkal
Head Coach

I hope my beloved Cardinals have not dropped the ball yet again (pun intended) on Boston. Yes I know he has serious off the field problems, but given how athletes almost always seem to be given a break when it comes to the law, I can't imagine he'll serve jail time. Rehab is another question.

Given the Cardinals sorry situation at WR (and most of other positions, QB anyone?) I cannot believe they aren't going to try to keep Boston. I'm hoping that they had made good progress on a multiyear deal and thus decided not to tag him. Boston has said he wants to stay in Arizona (why I don't know). So I'm crossing my fingers they get something worked out before he can become a free agent.

Of course this is my beloved Cards, so likely he's gone.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:15 AM   #21
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Raven
Boston is coming to Baltimore.

Come on, David. You know you want that ring.

And how, pray tell, do you thikn he is ever going to get a ring in baltimore? the Magic died when the cap crushed them.

They'll be tough, always have been, but title hopes? I'd lay bigger money on the Bengals making the playoffs at all, than the Ravens getting to the Bowl again anytime soon.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 10:58 AM   #22
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I don't know. The Ravens still have the talent and the NFL is unpredictable. I also think Chris Redman will be an outstanding QB one day.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:02 AM   #23
TroyF
Coordinator

Thom,

No, if this is the Cards luck, they resign him to a multi year deal.

The following day he hooks up with some Portland Trailblazers for a "get together" where he has 10 pounds of pot on his person and has helped Rasheed beat the hell out of an abducted ref.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote