Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-30-2004, 10:28 PM   #1
DanGarion
Coordinator

EA Sports Chase for the Cup 2005

So anyone have any input on this? It comes on out the 1st. It looks like they are going in a good direction with the different levels and racer creation. I read a preview/review in game informer they gave it in the mid 8s. I think I might get this for my XBox.

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 10:40 PM   #2
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I think I'll get it just for the Xbox Live capability, although NCAA 2005 was a bust on Live, and I'm still not 100% comfortable with Madden yet. It'll be hard for me to pass up, though.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:55 PM   #3
Troll
H.S. Freshman Team

went from a must buy to a probably won't buy when I realized it has "street" races in the career mode. I may not be on the inside of things but I can't see Tony Stewart and Mark Martin having a street race to settle differences. Another worthless career mode I fear.
Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 11:08 PM   #4
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll
went from a must buy to a probably won't buy when I realized it has "street" races in the career mode. I may not be on the inside of things but I can't see Tony Stewart and Mark Martin having a street race to settle differences. Another worthless career mode I fear.

Is it a necessity of the career mode, or is it just something additional for "fun"? I'll have to look into that.

Edit: Just read a quick review of the game, and it looks like the street race is just the way to get the career mode rolling. I didn't see any indication that you have to do it more than once. I'm not saying that the street race is a good thing in this context, but it doesn't seem to be a major portion of the game.

Last edited by Pumpy Tudors : 08-30-2004 at 11:13 PM.
Pumpy Tudors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 11:25 PM   #5
Troll
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Is it a necessity of the career mode, or is it just something additional for "fun"? I'll have to look into that.

Edit: Just read a quick review of the game, and it looks like the street race is just the way to get the career mode rolling. I didn't see any indication that you have to do it more than once. I'm not saying that the street race is a good thing in this context, but it doesn't seem to be a major portion of the game.

ahhhh, i was under the impression that if you and another driver have altercations on the track several times you would "settle" it in a street race. I'll have to research it some more tho.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:26 PM   #6
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Maybe if they settled it in a street fight, it might be realistic...
Old 08-31-2004, 09:11 AM   #7
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

I heard that Nascar 05 is the most revamped out oif the ea games. Cant wait for this to come out/.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:22 AM   #8
spleen1015
Coordinator

The street racing is not a major part of the game.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 10:18 AM   #9
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

It'll be out tomorrow! Can't wait!
Old 08-31-2004, 05:10 PM   #10
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Can't wait to bring Petty Enterprises back from the grave....Possible title of Nascar Dynasty: Return To Glory : Petty enterprises.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:16 PM   #11
jbmagic
Pro Starter

the best nascar game for the pc is still nascar racing 2003 season...there so many mods and has a great large community and you can play it online too...
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:34 PM   #12
Troll
H.S. Freshman Team

My friend and I rented this game today at the blockbuster where he works. All I got to say is that if you played last years version you have played this version(The actual gameplay is unchanged in every way). The only difference in what we played was that pressing R2 to draft didnt seem to work as well as last year. We had to press it several times just to get it to work.

The Chase for the Cup mode looks good, however neither of us played it.

Pretty much all I played last year was the 2 player season mode. We both went several seasons into it making alliances and the like. So we started one today as soon as we got it and to say they half assed the 2 player season mode is an understatement. Last year's game handles it MUCH better.

To start with everything seems to not matter in 2 player mode. Before the races they do not give you a run down of who is starting where so you are pretty much left to guess and actually see once the racing starts. When you take the white or checkered flag it doesn't even let you know. If you weren't looking at the lap number you wouldn't even notice. On cautions they don't give a run down of positions like last year. After pit stops they do not tell you what position people go in and come out like they did last year.

I'm not sure if these problems are only in 2 player mode, but I really don't care b/c that is all I play.

Caution flags are half assed as well. We never saw a caution take up more than 1 lap. It should take up atleast 3 laps as it did last year. You go into caution on lap 6, you restart on lap 6 going into 7.

The not racing back to the flag has been half assed as well. I was running 3rd and my friend 4th. He got into Stewart who was running 5th. He got sideways and the caution came out while he was in 5th(although he went spinning into the infield and bounced off the inside wall. I'm not sure how this would work in real life but I'd say he should be in last. He restarts in 5th.

We couldn't figure out how do to doughnuts after a win, and when you do actually win a race it seems alot less meaningful than last year. I'm not real sure what causes this, but I would probably say the lack of presentation we saw. We never had a clue who was coming up on us(last year it would show you a number and where they were coming up from, they took that out this year.) --again this could be 2 player only

Overall neither of us will be buying this game and if we ever feel like playing again b/f next year's nascar game comes out we will just play last year's version. The same gameplay, MUCH MUCH MUCH better 2 player season.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:40 AM   #13
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
My friend and I rented this game today at the blockbuster where he works. All I got to say is that if you played last years version you have played this version(The actual gameplay is unchanged in every way). The only difference in what we played was that pressing R2 to draft didnt seem to work as well as last year. We had to press it several times just to get it to work.

The Chase for the Cup mode looks good, however neither of us played it.

Pretty much all I played last year was the 2 player season mode. We both went several seasons into it making alliances and the like. So we started one today as soon as we got it and to say they half assed the 2 player season mode is an understatement. Last year's game handles it MUCH better.

To start with everything seems to not matter in 2 player mode. Before the races they do not give you a run down of who is starting where so you are pretty much left to guess and actually see once the racing starts. When you take the white or checkered flag it doesn't even let you know. If you weren't looking at the lap number you wouldn't even notice. On cautions they don't give a run down of positions like last year. After pit stops they do not tell you what position people go in and come out like they did last year.

I'm not sure if these problems are only in 2 player mode, but I really don't care b/c that is all I play.

Caution flags are half assed as well. We never saw a caution take up more than 1 lap. It should take up atleast 3 laps as it did last year. You go into caution on lap 6, you restart on lap 6 going into 7.

The not racing back to the flag has been half assed as well. I was running 3rd and my friend 4th. He got into Stewart who was running 5th. He got sideways and the caution came out while he was in 5th(although he went spinning into the infield and bounced off the inside wall. I'm not sure how this would work in real life but I'd say he should be in last. He restarts in 5th.

We couldn't figure out how do to doughnuts after a win, and when you do actually win a race it seems alot less meaningful than last year. I'm not real sure what causes this, but I would probably say the lack of presentation we saw. We never had a clue who was coming up on us(last year it would show you a number and where they were coming up from, they took that out this year.) --again this could be 2 player only

Overall neither of us will be buying this game and if we ever feel like playing again b/f next year's nascar game comes out we will just play last year's version. The same gameplay, MUCH MUCH MUCH better 2 player season.

It se3ems that the same lack of depth in presentation is present in other EA games as well during 2 player gameplay. That just ruined the game for me.
Old 09-05-2004, 01:52 PM   #14
sooner333
College Starter

anyone else have this game and play the chase for the cup mode??
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 04:57 PM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He got sideways and the caution came out while he was in 5th(although he went spinning into the infield and bounced off the inside wall. I'm not sure how this would work in real life but I'd say he should be in last. He restarts in 5th.

Although most everything else you describe carries a lot of suckitude, this actually doesn't sound like it's too far off.

Basically, you're frozen where you were at the time of the caution. There's a judgement call about where to freeze cars that were not racing because they were involved in the caution, but if a car bounced off the inside wall & then rolled away, it would pick up the position it had in the field when it resumed intentional movement. Which IRL might not have kept him 5th but probably wouldn't have dropped him to the rear of the field either.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:23 AM   #16
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

It seems that there's no real career stat tracking in the game. I would have liked a Stock Car racing magazine brief me on what's going on around the world of Auto Racing.
A little dissappointed but am loving the Featherlight series especially The Dodge raceway stadium. Awesome enclosed track there.