Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-27-2003, 04:35 PM   #1
KWhit
Coordinator

WTC Site - New Plan Chosen

MSNBC link

A design has been chosen that includes a spire standing 1776 ft tall. It is really an amazing-looking design.

It will also include:

- An open pit, 30 feet below ground (scaled back from 70 feet), where a memorial will go in the footprints of the Twin Towers. Known as “the bathub,” the pit exposes the original foundation “slurry” walls of the destroyed World Trade Center site — which withstood the 9/11 attacks and still hold back the Hudson River — and is intended as a symbol of strength representing the foundations of democracy.

- A “wedge of light” created by precise positioning of the future buildings that are to surround Ground Zero, so that every year on Sept. 11 a shaft of unshadowed sunlight will fall onto the footprints from 8:46 a.m. ET (when the first plane crashed into the North Tower) to 10:28 a.m. ET (when it collapsed, after South Tower went down.)

Whether or not this will actually be built is still up in the air, but it looks like it would be beautiful if they pull it off.

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 04:51 PM   #2
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Beautiful? BEAUTIFUL??? What about the original idea of something tasteful and low-key instead of some monstrosity that would pose an even bigger target? Man, I really hate progressive architecture. But that's just my bias, sorry.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 04:53 PM   #3
McSweeny
College Starter

i was hoping they'd have a huge park at the site. Something really peacfull and low key
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote