Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-25-2004, 09:40 PM   #51
Suicane75
Coordinator

For me, it just never feels like baseball, as spreadsheety as Jims games are they "feel" like football. The complete randomness of atributes, 2B who have monster power but can't run, 1B with no power but a ton of speed. It just feels like, again no offense to Marcus, that it was coded by someone who really didn't understand the intracacies of baseball.

Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 11:02 PM   #52
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
For me, it just never feels like baseball, as spreadsheety as Jims games are they "feel" like football. The complete randomness of atributes, 2B who have monster power but can't run, 1B with no power but a ton of speed. It just feels like, again no offense to Marcus, that it was coded by someone who really didn't understand the intracacies of baseball.

Fair enough, I just like it because it's much harder this year and it feels more like baseball than previous versions, which I've lost interest after taking Montreal or Tampa Bay to the World Series in 2-3 years. It's been hard as hell getting the Brewers to play .500 ball.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 11:22 PM   #53
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
I keep hearing this from a few, what's so bad about v6 with the latest patch?

Todd

the waivers and designation for assignment has too may bugs and loopholes
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 11:35 PM   #54
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Fair enough, I just like it because it's much harder this year and it feels more like baseball than previous versions, which I've lost interest after taking Montreal or Tampa Bay to the World Series in 2-3 years. It's been hard as hell getting the Brewers to play .500 ball.

Todd

Since this has devolved into a "my opinion of ootp" thread, here's mine:

i've played ootp more than any other series, and ootp 6 has been no exception. I used to play multi, but now play single player only, and just have so much fun. I think the ootp series is the best american sports sim (american thrown in there to not raise a fm/ootp debate). ootp may have some features that cause it to be charged with not being completely realistic simulation of baseball, but i feel these are done in order to make a more enjoyable gaming experience.

in response to the post downplaying the 27 leagues, this feature could help foster the most amazing sim experience - imaging managing the devil rays, and scouting the japan league for the next ichiro. i assume from markus' post that the game would include real players (since he mentions licensing), so the japan players you would court would be actual players from that country. neato

and when your borderline aging player can no longer hold his own in the majors (cecil fielder, etc) , he could then go over to japan to try to make it there. neato

also saw somewhere the possibility of having promotion/relegation. i know for some baseball sim players, this is utter blasphemy, but for me this would be total neato. (ah, already dreaming of taking trenton thunder to the majors, then beating the yankees in a no holds barred "northeast corridor" series.)

botom line, capturing the entirety of baseball played on the planet at any given time (like fm does for soccer), creates a nice holistic sim experience - you feel like there's nothing that's not being covered.

granted, ootp7 might not nail these, but it sounds like a great step in the right direction.

lighthousekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 11:38 PM   #55
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

The opportunity to have players really move between leagues, whether into the minors, or overseas, is tremendous. If you wanted to simulate that now, you'd have to run multiple leagues and handle moving the players manually for yourself...or just pretending that they left for Japan or the Mexican leagues...
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 11:43 PM   #56
McSweeny
College Starter

i concur

i'm really really excited for the many leagues for the reasons Tekneek and lighthousekeeper outlined
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 11:48 PM   #57
korme
Go Reds

i'll third the 'i love many leagues!!!!!!!!'
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 11:48 PM   #58
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wow... this looks amazing so far . The partnership between SI and OOTP looks like it'll pay off nicely!