Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-29-2004, 05:07 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

OT: John Navarre Starts Sunday for Cards

As a Michigan fan, and a Lions fan, I am excited to see John Navarre start for the Cards Sunday.

Say what you will about him in college, but he got a horrible rap. He was a damn solid starter who didn't get enough recgoinition for what he did at Michigan.

What I respect most about him is the fact he took it all, and really didn't have to because a lot of it wasn't deserved.

That said, I dunno how he'll do in the NFL but I have a feeling he could be a solid QB. Maybe not a starter but a backup for sure. Tom Brady part two? Who knows, it's doubtful, but hey, thats why they play the games.

So for people who follow the Cards, your thoughts?

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:09 PM   #2
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

He was ok at Michigan.
Old 11-29-2004, 05:10 PM   #3
korme
Go Reds

HE suc0x0rs!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:12 PM   #4
ice4277
Pro Rookie

h8r
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:34 PM   #5
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

With Greise,Brady and Navarre all starting and Hensen most likely starting in the future, Michigan is proving to be a real QB factory. Has a college ever had their past 4 QBs starting on the same week?
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:50 PM   #6
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I hoped that all three of the Fresno State QBs would start sometime this season. With Hasselbeck and McNair banged up, I was hoping Volek and Dilfer would join Carr some Sunday. It just hasn't happened yet.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:57 PM   #7
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I wonder why Arizona didn't sign Jeff George?
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:10 PM   #8
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
As a Michigan fan, and a Lions fan, I am excited to see John Navarre start for the Cards Sunday.

Say what you will about him in college, but he got a horrible rap. He was a damn solid starter who didn't get enough recgoinition for what he did at Michigan.

What I respect most about him is the fact he took it all, and really didn't have to because a lot of it wasn't deserved.

That said, I dunno how he'll do in the NFL but I have a feeling he could be a solid QB. Maybe not a starter but a backup for sure. Tom Brady part two? Who knows, it's doubtful, but hey, thats why they play the games.

So for people who follow the Cards, your thoughts?

The point that I don't get is why someone would start Shawn King or Josh McCown over Navarre. It just doesn't make sense. Its not like either one of those guys were lights out in college, and they went to pretty small schools. Both look like they have below avg Arms, and neither one can really move that well.

At least Navarre has the history of playing against good teams, and performing well in the process. Can someone please point out what I'm missing?
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:14 PM   #9
DeToxRox
Head Coach

michigan could have four start sunday

Brady, Navarre, Griese, Henson

but chances are Henson won't get the start.

Someday!
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:24 PM   #10
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

I think Navarre could be a decent NFL QB. I liked watching him play in the past even though Michigan isn't on my top college teams list.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:33 PM   #11
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

What in the Hell is wrong with Dennis Green? McCown was doing pretty decently before he was benched for nobodies.
Old 11-29-2004, 06:44 PM   #12
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
What in the Hell is wrong with Dennis Green? McCown was doing pretty decently before he was benched for nobodies.

It doesn't take much to get sent to Denny Green's doghouse.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:51 PM   #13
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcjjdnh
With Greise,Brady and Navarre all starting and Hensen most likely starting in the future, Michigan is proving to be a real QB factory. Has a college ever had their past 4 QBs starting on the same week?

It's a good question, and I'm thinking the answer would be no.

I'm not sure I can even recall 3 QB's from the same school starting a game in the same week prior to this week (and no one was really openly talking about it).
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 07:01 PM   #14
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not sure I can even recall 3 QB's from the same school starting a game in the same week prior to this week

I'm sure Bernie Kosar, Vinnie Testaverde, and Jim Kelly from University of Miami started the same week a few times during the late 80s.

edit: Oh, and Steve Walsh played 8 games in 1989 (for Dallas) and 12 games in 1990 (for New Orleans). I'm not sure how many he started, but it is likely then that 4 UM QBs started the same week in 1989 and/or 1990.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 11-29-2004 at 07:09 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 07:06 PM   #15
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm sure Bernie Kosar, Vinnie Testaverde, and Jim Kelly from University of Miami started the same week a few times during the late 80s.

Hell, Gino Torreta might have gotten one in there as well...
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 07:10 PM   #16
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I edited... I'm sure Walsh did.

But Torreta? I don't think he started a game (16 total attempts in his career) .
Old 11-29-2004, 07:14 PM   #17
Philliesfan980
Banned

Didn't Torreta win the heisman in 93? If so, I think that throws Steve Walsh out of there.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 07:17 PM   #18
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I've got a list of all drafted QB's since 1975, and I don't see too much potential outside of what's already been tossed out there.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:19 PM   #19
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

actually Washington has had these guys in the last few years:

Tuisaosopo
Brock Huard
Billy Joe Hobert
Mark Brunell
Chris Chandler

I have imagine at least 3 all started on the same day once. Chandler/Brunell/Huard or Chandler/Brunell/Tuiasasopo (last year) would be my best guesses.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:25 PM   #20
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Btw, Miami also may have had 4 QBs starting in 1994, when Testaverde, Kelly, Walsh, and Craig Erickson were starters!!

Though by that time Kosar was mostly backup, although in 1995, he did start a number of games in Miami, but Walsh didn't play a lick that year.

It seems UM had 4 QBs playing the same week a number of times.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:26 PM   #21
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Tulane was close to 3. Their current QBs are Shaun King, Patrick Ramsey, and J.P. Losman.

More Michigan: Griese/Grbac/Brady might have happened in Grbac's last year. In fact I think Griese/Grbac/Brady/Todd Collins might even have happened.

edit: No on Todd Collins, but Griese/Grbac/Brady did happen in 2001.

There was a minor window of opporunity for Maryland with Scott Zolak, Neil O'Donnell, Frank Reich, and Boomer Esiason in the early 90's.

edit: looks like they missed by 1 week in '95. But they all started games within a 2 weeks span.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 11-29-2004 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:37 PM   #22
miami_fan
Coordinator

So let me get this straight......Denny Green did not pick Roethlisberger because he had McCown in tow.......and NOW he is starting John Navarre? Okayyyyyyyyy
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 09:39 PM   #23
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
So let me get this straight......Denny Green did not pick Roethlisberger because he had McCown in tow.......and NOW he is starting John Navarre? Okayyyyyyyyy
Yep. No one has gotten off more lightly than Dennis Green for drafting Larry Fitzgerald. It was a stupid decision then, and it's only getting worse.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 11-29-2004 at 09:51 PM.
Old 11-29-2004, 09:49 PM   #24
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

They don't want to be called racist for cricizing a black coach .
Old 11-29-2004, 10:14 PM   #25
Craptacular
College Starter

Don't forget about Warren Moon ... not drafted in the NFL, but from Washington. I'm sure he, Brunell, and Chandler all started the same week. Heck, Billy Joe Hobert might have started in there, during the the overlap of the end of Moon's career and the beginning of Brunell's. That would make 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
actually Washington has had these guys in the last few years:

Tuisaosopo
Brock Huard
Billy Joe Hobert
Mark Brunell
Chris Chandler

I have imagine at least 3 all started on the same day once. Chandler/Brunell/Huard or Chandler/Brunell/Tuiasasopo (last year) would be my best guesses.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 10:33 PM   #26
WussGawd
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

edit: Oh, and Steve Walsh played 8 games in 1989 (for Dallas) and 12 games in 1990 (for New Orleans). I'm not sure how many he started, but it is likely then that 4 UM QBs started the same week in 1989 and/or 1990.

Walsh had a number of starts for both of those squads. Aikman got here in 1989, IIRC, and missed a few games, and he was basically picked up by the Saints to be their starter in 1990 (Bobby Hebert held out that year). I'd say there's a pretty good shot that all four of them saw a start on the same weekend in '89 or '90
WussGawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 10:36 PM   #27
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Actually, the criticism of Denny Green is starting. No one understood the move to Shaun King, at a critical point in a season when they had been showing solid improvement over last year.

Green has one major weakness: his ego. Now that he's learned first-hand why Shaun King never became a permanent starter in Tampa Bay, he has to somehow justify the benching of McCown. And that means starting Navarre.

Yet I wouldn't be surprised if the move paid off. At Michigan, he somehow came out setting records despite being as much maligned as any Wolverine quarterback in history. Michigan stresses not turning the ball over, and with all the talent Arizona has at receiver, Navarre could be a great fit. Like Griese with Denver at one time. I think we're going to see a lot of 3- and 5-step drops to counter the inevitable blitzing.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 12:34 AM   #28
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

The rest of Green's draft looks pretty good, and that may be part of the reason that people are not attacking his draft, at least yet.

This all reminds me of an editorial that Vic Ketchman did for the Jaguars. Vic is the webmaster and head reporter for the Jaguars, and he wrote, before the draft, that if the last player of impact was gone when the Jags picked, they should trade down. If no team wanted to deal immediately, they should draft the remaining member of the Big Nine (remember, there was supposedly nine major draft picks, and the Jags picked ninth, so theoretically, they should have gotten one of the Big Nine). Someone wrote in and asked, "What if the only remaining member of the the Big Nine is Ben Roethligburger (which looks likely from the movks drafts)?" Vic answered and said that, if the Steelers, who wanted a QB and were the most likely dance partner, weren't ready to deal in the 15 minutes alloted, then play hardball by drafting Ben and forcing a trade.

In hindsight, that might not have been such a bad move. Reggie Williams is looking like a bustful of busts (although rookie receivers are often lost, so it's not an R. Jay Soward level of emergency yet) while the Steelers look to have stolen Big Ben. Looking like good advice.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 06:57 AM   #29
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Yep. No one has gotten off more lightly than Dennis Green for drafting Larry Fitzgerald. It was a stupid decision then, and it's only getting worse.

Amen brother, Amen!

I couldn't believe it when he drafted Fitzgerald, and I couldn't believe it when he benches his starting QB after they win 2 games in a row, stats be damned. I was pretty confident he believed Shaun King could be the starter when he signed him, and that's why he didn't go after a QB. Now he's demoralized not one, but two QB's by benching them and thus the team.

Nice job there Denny.

<-----long suffering Cards fan
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:31 AM   #30
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Green is losing it. What is it with the Giants and Cardinals both in the playoff race hitting the eject button?
Old 11-30-2004, 08:45 AM   #31
Bomber
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Green is losing it. What is it with the Giants and Cardinals both in the playoff race hitting the eject button?

Maybe they realize going 8-8 or 9-7 and making the playoffs isn't going to get your team any closer to the Super Bowl. Might as well see if you have a QB for the future before next seasons draft.
Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 08:54 AM   #32
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber
Maybe they realize going 8-8 or 9-7 and making the playoffs isn't going to get your team any closer to the Super Bowl. Might as well see if you have a QB for the future before next seasons draft.

I don't think you can play like that in the NFL. NBA maybe since you can be stuck in the middle for decades.

That's the type of attitude the permiates losing organizations.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:58 AM   #33
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Giants | Sticking With Manning - from www.KFFL.com
Mon, 29 Nov 2004 21:11:28 -0800

Michael Eisen, of Giants.com, reports New York Giants head coach Tom Coughlin is sticking with QB Eli Manning as the team's starter because he believes Manning gives the Giants the best chance to win. "Yes, I feel that way," Coughlin said. "And I still feel like we needed to make the change to get a spark going. We haven't seen that and we haven't seen the production, but I still think it's the right move."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Tom Coughlin,

You are a steaming pile of horse manure. I loathe you.

Signed,
The Giants Veterans
Old 11-30-2004, 09:41 AM   #34
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Coughlin really screwed the pooch with that decision.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:42 AM   #35
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
Green has one major weakness: his ego. Now that he's learned first-hand why Shaun King never became a permanent starter in Tampa Bay, he has to somehow justify the benching of McCown. And that means starting Navarre.

My thoughts exactly. When/if Navarre struggles, expect to see McCown back.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 10:53 AM   #36
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The problem is the Cards have two charred steaks that taste like ass and one that has yet to be cooked. So, do you just stomach one of the two bad steaks or take your chance that you can do better with the fresh meat. When McCown was QB, Arizona ranked 30th in passing offense and he didn't even have a TD until week 5. It's not like he was setting the world on fire. I think it's safe to say McCown is not going to be much of a starting QB and we know King isn't, so why not see what you have in Navarre. If he flames out, maybe you go QB in the draft/FA. But if he does well, you may have a future QB on your hands that gives you a legit chance at a competant passing offense - something McCown and King have shown they will not provide.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:58 AM   #37
rkmsuf
Head Coach

It's the lack of direction for the team all this switching gives you. Just months ago Green is saying McCown is his guy and now when they are in reach of the playoffs you inexplicably put King in there? Bush league. They had some semblance of a running game going and were stopping the run.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 11-30-2004 at 10:58 AM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 11:05 AM   #38
condors
College Starter

the rumour in arizona (my dad lives there) is McCown is suffering from post concusion syndrome
condors is offline   Reply With Quote