Old 01-18-2005, 02:25 AM   #1
TLK
Pro Starter

54 Proof and Under $5.00 a Bottle

Quote:
Listerine drinker arrested for DUI

By Associated Press
Published January 17, 2005

ADRIAN, Mich. -- A woman who admitted drinking three glasses of Listerine mouthwash had a blood-alcohol content more than three times the legal limit when she was arrested for drunken driving, police said Friday.

The woman, identified by police Sgt. Mike Shadbolt as 50-year-old Carol A. Ries, was arrested Sunday night and released on personal bond the next day. She was to be arraigned late next week on a misdemeanor charge of operating under the influence of liquor, Shadbolt said.

Police also found an open bottle of Listerine in Ries' car, and asked Lenawee County prosecutors Friday to authorize a warrant charging her with having an open intoxicant in a motor vehicle, Shadbolt said. Calls to the prosecutor's office were not answered after business hours.

Ries showed signs of intoxication after her car rear-ended another vehicle Sunday, Shadbolt said. She told police she had not consumed any alcohol and also passed a Breathalyzer test, but "there was something not quite right about her," Shadbolt said.

She failed a second test using different equipment and, under further questioning, admitted to drinking three glasses of Listerine earlier in the day, Shadbolt said.

According to Listerine manufacturer Pfizer Inc.'s Web site, original formula Listerine contains 26.9 percent alcohol, more than four times that of many malt liquors. Other varieties contain 21.6 percent alcohol.

No telephone listings for a Carol Ries could be found.

People amaze me....

TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 02:35 AM   #2
korme
Go Reds

is that safe?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:02 AM   #3
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
is that safe?

Axxon: You're talking to me?

Shorty Szell: Is is safe?

Axxon: Is what safe?

Shorty Szell: Is it safe?

Axxon: I don't know what you mean. I can't tell you something's safe or not, unless I know specifically what you're talking about.

Axxon: Tell me what the "it" refers to.

Axxon: Yes, it's safe, it's very safe, it's so safe you wouldn't believe it.

Axxon: No. It's not safe, it's... very dangerous, be careful.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:23 AM   #4
korme
Go Reds

what_the_fuck?

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:40 AM   #5
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281
what_the_fuck?

I'm sure some of our other members will get the reference.

It's from a great book and a great movie.

One hint though. It isn't "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" but it's kinda close.

It's also one of the most chilling scenes you could ever easily imagine happening but hopefully not to you.
Old 01-18-2005, 06:49 AM   #6
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

My uncle was a bing drinking drunk. He used to come to our house to "dry out" at times. He would often go in our bathroom and drink Listerine until dad caught him. The next time he came and we didn't have Listerine, he drank a whole bottle of "Hi Karate."
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 07:49 AM   #7
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm with you, Axxon.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 11:03 AM   #8
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
My uncle was a bing drinking drunk. He used to come to our house to "dry out" at times. He would often go in our bathroom and drink Listerine until dad caught him. The next time he came and we didn't have Listerine, he drank a whole bottle of "Hi Karate."

"Everybody was kung-foo fighting....."

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 11:50 AM   #9
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

What happened next?
Old 01-18-2005, 01:01 PM   #10
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

When I was in high school, they had some deal with some companies or something where they handed out a bunch of sample products to all the kids and one of them was mouthwash. Some genius figured out there was alcohol in it and thus you could get drunk. However, what someone didn't tell those idiots is that if you drink a bunch of 10 proof mouthwash, you're going to get sick to your stomach long before you get drunk so there were tons of idiots walking around school that day looking about as green as a Scope bottle.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:25 PM   #11
Desnudo
Coordinator

Didn't Kitty Dukakis, wife of ex-MA governor Mike Dukakis, get taken to rehab after she was discovered using hair spray to get drunk?
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:30 PM   #12
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions
What happened next?

He smelled bad (not that he smelled good to begin with). Eventually (after drinking gasoline and kerosine in drinking binges and nearly dieing), he quit drinking, got married, and lived for 15 years until he died of live failure. He was 62, but he out lived my father (who never drank) by 4 years, and by 8 years in age.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:37 PM   #13
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
...and lived for 15 years until he died of live failure.

Yeah, that live failure is a real killer...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 01-19-2005 at 01:37 PM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:17 PM   #14
Critch
lolzcat

A few years ago one of the England Rugby team ended up in hospital in Paris (I think) after drinking a bottle of aftershave to win a bet.

Can't remember who it was, all I remember was one of his team-mates who'd visited him in hospital being interviewed on the way out and saying "He looks terrible...... but he smells lovely".
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:31 PM   #15
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I had a great-uncle who used to drink any and every thing. When he'd come over, you'd take the rubbing alcohol out of the cabinets in anticipation, so he wouldn't top himself off every 15 minutes. He died of liver problems too, but at age 95, which is pretty impressive. Hopefully those genes were passed down to me.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote