Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-12-2005, 05:56 PM   #1
Logan
Head Coach

Flip Saunders out as Minnesota Head Coach

I know the T-Wolves have been struggling recently, but I always thought Flip Saunders was one of the better coaches in the NBA (despite only one League final appearance in the Garnett era). So I was surprised when I heard he was fired from Minny. ESPN says he has been re-assigned within the organization, but as a quasi-Knick fan (its very hard to watch this team), I have to assume he would be a primary candidate to take over for Herb Williams as Lenny Wilkens' replacement. Solid success over the years as the Minny team was built, plus I believe Flip's brother is already an assistant with the team.

Admittedly my basketball knowledge isn't what it used to be when I was a regular follower, so maybe someone would be better off explaining why Flip should/should not get another opportunity.

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 06:13 PM   #2
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I could see Flip Saunders in Detroit after Larry Brown "retires/resigns" following the end of the NBA Finals.

I was pretty suprised to see this happen even though ESPN had an article on how it was a possibility a few days ago.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 06:19 PM   #3
jbmagic
Pro Starter

i think the Lakers might go after him now.

or i am hoping Larry brown comes to the Lakers
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 06:21 PM   #4
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Very good move. Flip is vastly overrated.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 06:26 PM   #5
jbmagic
Pro Starter

wow

Kevin McHale to Assume Head Coach Responsibilities for the Minnesota Timberwolves

hxxp://www.nba.com/timberwolves/
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 07:33 PM   #6
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Very good move. Flip is vastly overrated.
How so?
Old 02-12-2005, 08:06 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
How so?

1 trip out of the first round despite having one of the most talented players in the game, and a solid expensive supporting cast?

And even tho they lost all those first round picks, its not like they would have been high picks anyways.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 08:12 PM   #8
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Yeah, I'm having a hard time finding the words to describe what I'm thinking here, but I think a lot of other guys out there could've and could be doing a better job than Flip. And currently, with each and every game, he's losing his grip (and influence) on the team. It's getting really ugly and now was the time for change. Even if McHale can't help them to the playoffs, at least they will be in a much easier position to start somewhat fresh come this offseason.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:31 PM   #9
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
1 trip out of the first round despite having one of the most talented players in the game, and a solid expensive supporting cast?

And even tho they lost all those first round picks, its not like they would have been high picks anyways.

Other than last year, when did they have this "solid expensive supporting cast"? Last year was the first year that they actually put together a soid group around KG. The Wolves have underachieved this year. It was one of those cases of the players tuning out the coach. Saunders will get another opportunity next year if he wants. The lost of five 1st round picks no matter where they may be at in the draft is a significant loss.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 08:55 PM   #10
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
Other than last year, when did they have this "solid expensive supporting cast"? Last year was the first year that they actually put together a soid group around KG. The Wolves have underachieved this year. It was one of those cases of the players tuning out the coach. Saunders will get another opportunity next year if he wants. The lost of five 1st round picks no matter where they may be at in the draft is a significant loss.
Thank you miami_fan.

Since when did the Wolves have a solid & expensive supporting cast other than last season? And when did they have the most talented "players" in the game? Did you just mean "player?" I have a hard time believing that The Candy Man...a 30 something Sam Cassell and a 30 something Latrell Sprewell are some of the most talented players in the game. Experienced and playoff tested? Sure. But not the most talented.

And I have no idea...sovereignstar...how you could think that a lot of other coaches could do a better job with this team? How does one prove this?

Every year when the Wolves would get in the playoffs I would have high hopes for my team but then I would compare starting lineups next to whatever team we were playing...Sacramento...Utah...Seattle...Los Angeles...and then I would sit there and say how in the hell are we gonna beat these guys with our collection of role players? I can't name one season...until last year...when we've had a superior roster compared to anyone of the other West powers.

This firing was solely a product of a hobbled Cassell and Sprewell. Not to mention their collective bitching about their contracts in the preseason.

Last edited by MikeVick7 : 02-12-2005 at 08:56 PM.
MikeVick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 09:34 PM   #11
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
This firing was solely a product of a hobbled Cassell and Sprewell. Not to mention their collective bitching about their contracts in the preseason.

If you paid any attention you would know that Cassell was "hobbled" most of last season. I'm not sure what either of their contract bitching has to do with anything. A good coach would find a way to deal with any off-the-court problems and get the best-prepared and hottest players on the floor. Just because Latrell was bitching in the preseason doesn't mean that it's affecting his game. I just think he's on the decline.

Garnett, Sczerbiak, Cassell, Sprewell, Oliwakandi, Griffin, Hassell, Hudson, Hoiberg - there's just no reason that this team should be playing as bad as they are at this point in the season.

One last thing - from one Timberwolves fan to another - when did the Timberwolves ever play the Jazz in the playoffs?
Old 02-12-2005, 09:38 PM   #12
Bad-example
College Starter

I keep reading the thread title as "Saunders Flips out as Minnesota Head Coach".
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 09:51 PM   #13
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Im a Detroit fan and I would trade Larry Brown straight up for Flip Saunders right now.

Kevin McHale is more to blame for lack of supporting casts and draft picks than anyone else. I never could figure out why he still has a job in Minnesota.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 01:03 AM   #14
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshogg23
Im a Detroit fan and I would trade Larry Brown straight up for Flip Saunders right now.

Kevin McHale is more to blame for lack of supporting casts and draft picks than anyone else. I never could figure out why he still has a job in Minnesota.

Glen Taylor is just as guilty if not even more so in the Joe Smith situation as is Kevin McHale.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 03:01 AM   #15
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
If you paid any attention you would know that Cassell was "hobbled" most of last season.
Ok well you got me on the Wolves never played the Jazz thing...but umm...I don't remember Cassell being "hobbled" most of last season.

03-04Min818135.07.7-15.7.488 0.9-2.3.398 3.6-4.1.873 1.30.22.73.00.00.52.83.37.319.8

And from one Wolves fan to another....it seems like he not only played 81 games but also started 81 as well last year. He became hobbled during the playoffs and that was one of the main reasons why they lost to the Lakers.

Regardless of us not knowing our specifics...I still don't think Saunders is overrated as a coach. The addition of Sprewell and Cassell played a huge role in them going deeper into the playoffs last year. This year it's obvious that they're not on their game and it's spiraled out of control...but that doesn't mean that Saunders is an overrated coach.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:27 AM   #16
Suicane75
Coordinator

Man, i always thought Flip Saunders was black. Shortys gonna laugh at me.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 04:46 AM   #17
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan

Outside of last year they still have had an expensive payroll the past several years. For a payroll in the top 10 of the league the last several years they surely havent gotten much return.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 05:54 PM   #18
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
Man, i always thought Flip Saunders was black. Shortys gonna laugh at me.

hahahah!!1
korme is offline   Reply With Quote