Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-03-2005, 03:05 PM   #51
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic
And in Corina, Corina..

Now THAT was a good movie.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.

bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 03:07 PM   #52
bbor
Pro Starter

Dola....Napoleons uncle also played the homeless guy on Sienfeld who stole Kramers tupperwear.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 03:50 PM   #53
korme
Go Reds

Just watched it. Funny stuff.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 10:27 AM   #54
Hammer755
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Dola....Napoleons uncle also played the homeless guy on Sienfeld who stole Kramers tupperwear.

He was also the weird guy who lived in Val Kilmer's closet in Real Genius.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:43 PM   #55
korme
Go Reds

Your mom goes to college
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 01:56 PM   #56
vex
Grizzled Veteran

I hated the movie, I barely stayed awake.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:49 PM   #57
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Wow I must admit it was kinda funny... that dance at the end was funny as fudge...
Old 02-12-2005, 08:16 AM   #58
Yossarian
High School Varsity

Pish. Utter pish.

The one liners are great... outside of the movie. I read them and think... that's a funny line. Didn't think so at the time.

Had mibbe, 3 chuckles. Pish pish pish.
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:16 AM   #59
Dutch
"Dutch"

We watched it last night on PPV. We knew were expecting something different, but we had no clue it would be dead-pan nerd humor in a dead-pan world.

We liked it a lot and found a few good laughs. But I admit, I didn't expect much, so I was pleasantly surprised. I can see how many people would not find it humorous. Also, I hate MTV, but had no idea they were behind it. Sometimes its better off not going in fully armed to the teeth with information. Ignorance does pay off.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:28 AM   #60
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

We saw it a couple of weeks back or so. The movie was enjoyable because my sister-in-law married an Uncle Rico clone, and we had a good laugh about that. Without that, it might not have been quite so entertaining.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:46 AM   #61
Calis
College Starter

I'm pretty sure MTV didn't finance this movie?

From everything I've read it was independently financed, and it was only after it was at Sundance that MTV put in the cash to market it, so while they definitely helped get the word out, I don't think they had anything to do with making it.

Regardless though, I loved the movie, but wouldn't say it was good. A collection of great lines with a movie loosely tied around them.

It's definitely a love/hate movie.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 11:52 AM   #62
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
It's definitely a love/hate movie.

Agreed. Now I have a chat room I need to be in to hang with my girl, I'll be back in 3 or 4 hours. Peace out.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 12:24 PM   #63
Swaggs
Coordinator

The actor that played Napoleon said on Jay Leno that his salary was $1,000.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 02:40 PM   #64
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah, I can see the truth behind the statement that you'll like it more if you can relate to some of the stuff in the movie. From the moment I saw those library card take-out things... I was laughing. I remember those from elementary, and I haven't seen them since. I also had a friend that was kind of like Napoleon (in his attitude). So that helped.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 03:06 PM   #65
BYU 14
Coordinator

It had it's moments but overall wasn't as funny as I thought it would be. I think eveyone knows an uncle Rico type that can't let go of past glory, and my Wife and I got some laughs at the subtle stereotypes they played off of in Kip and Lafawnduh's relationship. My wife is black and we still encounter some of those from time to time....Though if you click my Historical Boxing dynasty link you will see she doesn't have me pimped out in bling bling and a Doo rag.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 03:12 PM   #66
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14
I think eveyone knows an uncle Rico type that can't let go of past glory.

It's not just that, though. My wife's sister married a guy who looks, talks, and acts like the Uncle Rico character. He's a dead ringer for him. The movie makes that bastard seem a little more likeable, if only because we will laugh everytime he does something like Uncle Rico from now on.

Last edited by Tekneek : 02-12-2005 at 03:13 PM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:56 AM   #67
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I finally saw this movie last weekend on PPV. I fell asleep, which never happens, so that should tell you what I thought of it. Some funny stuff, but mostly in a "funny because it's bizarre, not laugh-out-loud funny" way.

I'd say it was about 2 steps up from Dude Where's My car, which lasted all of 20 minutes in my VCR. I had also wanted to see that Harold and Kumar movie, but after this one, I'm thinking it would be a waste of $4.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:57 AM   #68
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

We also took the PPV route Sunday. Overall, to me the movie is bad (not terrible, but not good), but it definitely has moments. Seeing everyone quoting the one-liners in here reminded me of that, but the movie wrapped around them just didn't do it for me. It definitely had that MTV-slacker-cool-stupidity that attracts people to Jackass and other similar fare, the sort of thing that grates on me because it really caters to being stupid for stupidity's sake. I don't know. I guess I'm too much of a straight man to "get it". Or maybe I'm just too old at 29.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 03:17 PM   #69
Raven
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
I guess I'm too much of a straight man to "get it". Or maybe I'm just too old at 29.

I don't think you are too old, at 29. I'm 28 and loved the movie. Others I know felt the same way. To each his own I guess.

I rented Napoleon Dynamite and Anchorman in the same day. I loved ND, and didn't like Anchorman at all. I think I laughed maybe once at Anchorman, while ND had me busting up at times and always kept a smile on my face. I watched ND again the next night. I'd definitely watch it again too, while Anchorman on the other hand won't ever be played in my house again.

It's definitely not a plot-line movie, and you can't watch it for that reason.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 03:20 PM   #70
Raven
College Prospect

dola....

Grandma called, she wants you to go home and stop ruining everybody's lives!

Napoleon: Get off my property!
Rico: It's a free country!

(So funny to seem them say this because we used to say this when I was like 10 years old)
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:13 PM   #71
SteelerFan448
High School JV

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs
The actor that played Napoleon said on Jay Leno that his salary was $1,000.

You pay for what you get. That was one of the worst movies I have ever seen and laughed very few times. Luckily I didn't pay any money to waste that much time of my life.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:20 PM   #72
Swaggs
Coordinator

To each, their own, I guess.

This was one of my favorite movies of the year. I loved the slow, lethargic pace the movie moved in. I saw it in the theatre, got it as a Christmas gift, and watched it about four more times during that week. There are a ton of hilarious lines and I enjoyed the characters a lot.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:21 AM   #73
AgustusM
College Prospect

I am getting old I realize, it has been at least ten years since I have stopped my remote on MTV for more then 5 seconds - but I found this move stupid. I watched the whole thing and I am not sure I laughed once.

I clicked on this thread with no idea at all that this many people actually liked this movie.

Last edited by AgustusM : 02-15-2005 at 01:22 AM.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote