Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-14-2005, 10:31 PM   #1
Raven
College Prospect

Comprehensive C++ reference?

Any of you programmers recommend a solid C++ reference book? I'm looking for one of those "must have" types, something I can use for both intermediate and advanced programming.

Also, anyone know of any good beginner GUI books?

thanks.

Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:38 PM   #2
sabotai
General Manager

A good GUI book in a book that will teach you Win32 API or MFC?

I don't think I have anything that would technically be a C++ reference book. As far as advanced books go, they are all pretty much specialized. If you let use know what it is you are specifically looking for (DirectX, AI, Application developement, etc. etc.) we could narrow the field down for you.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:52 PM   #3
Raven
College Prospect

Well, I am a comp sci student, and I have a few C and C++ courses under my belt already. I'm conformtable with classes, templates, STL containers etc, but from time to time need to look up syntax examples for things I haven't used in awhile (or never used). Whenever I need a reference, I have to search between several texts that I have, or class lecture notes, or google searches etc. I was looking for something "all in one" kind of thing. I had heard the C++ bible was good for that, but just wanted some other opinions.

As far as GUIs go, I am not really sure. I don't have any experience working with them yet, but am excited about taking a class in it next semester. In the meantime, I was hoping to find something to get me started there. I don't know the difference between Win32 API or MFC at this point. Some direction would help here.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 11:23 PM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

As far as reference books go, C++: The Complete Reference

I don't have it, but it has a lot of good user reviews.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 02:09 AM   #5
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

The C++ Standard Library: A Tutorial and Reference (Josuttis) is IMO an essential reference for using the standard library (which sooner or later you are likely to want to do, it makes a lot of things easier).

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 10:11 AM   #6
dixieflatline
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
As far as reference books go, C++: The Complete Reference
I don't have it, but it has a lot of good user reviews.

Best book on the market and very reasonably priced for a book that complete. The section on the STL is fantastic. It's the only reference book I have ever had and I have never needed to go anywhere else. Can't help you with the GUI book though.
dixieflatline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 04:31 PM   #7
ZXTT
n00b

I've generally referred to Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language 3rd Edition", Visual Studio's online help and online for general information.

C++, however, can be tricky to use correctly. For this, I'd recommend Scott Meyer's "Effective C++" and "More Effective C++". He's also written "Effective STL".

GUI programming is problematic. I've written smaller things using MFC.

Pros:

Really easy to get a simple app up and running with GUI.

Cons:

Terrible framework design. You need to use inheritance all over the place. Too much inheritance == fragile, fragile code.

Want to do anything that isn't simple? Use the debugger to figure out how MFC works...

New version of MFC? Rewrite your app or keep your old version of VC++ installed and ready to go.

Alas, I don't really get to write much GUI code. The stuff I'm working on right now communicates with the outside world through interfaces and my test harness runs from the command line. But if I were to have write a GUI, I would investigate WxWidgets. It is an open source, cross-platform, C++ GUI framework. Since I haven't used it, I can't recommend it, as such.
ZXTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:57 PM   #8
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

An alternative to MFC for Windows-specific code would be the WTL -- a modern template library wrapping the Windows API, as opposed to the legacy-fest that is MFC.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:52 AM   #9
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I'd suggest any book entitled C++ Reference Guide, I personally prefer ones which have examples of function usage etc. as well as descriptions of their parameters and purpose.

With regards to GUI's it largely depends on what you're wanting to do with them and the platform that you'll be working on ...

(if you want to make your own GUI)
Real-Time Strategy Game programming for DirectX - has some good stuff on making a basic GUI system under DirectX

(if you're on windows)
Any Windows GUI book - sorry I can't be more explicit, there are loads out there and to be frank I haven't bought one in yonks (preferring more obscure AI stuff at the moment).

(if you're on unix)
I'd suggest learning Motif, its a very cool system, has some great reference books available (there's around 8 in a series by the creators) and I managed to pick it up and use it in anger in around 2 months during my first job out of uni.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 03:54 AM   #10
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

PS. In case anyone hasn't heard of motif - here's a link:

http://www.opengroup.org/openmotif/datasheet.html
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote