Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-12-2005, 11:03 PM   #1
wade moore
lolzcat

Mel Kiper: Ranking Second Tier QB's

Anyone with insider willing to copy and paste this article?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 11:51 PM   #2
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

there are first tier QB's this year?
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 12:02 AM   #3
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Of course, Akili Smith and Cade McNown, among others.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:37 AM   #4
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I have heard and read most of the expert takes on this year's quarterback class, but I have heard very little about Georgia's David Greene. He is very cool under pressure, studies the game and can read defenses with the best of them, and most importantly he is a winner, a leader with great character. When do you see him going in the draft?
Robert Martin Zorich, Houston

Greene translates as a potential starting quarterback but most likely a career backup in the NFL. He has size and smarts in his favor, though, and his accuracy is outstanding. And you're right, Robert, he won a lot of tough games both home and away in the SEC thanks to his leadership and game management. But his lack of mobility and below-average arm strength will be issues and probably keep him out of a starting job unless everything falls just right. Look for him to come off the board sometime early on Day 2 of the draft.

AP
Charlie Frye threw for 138 yards and a touchdown to earn Senior Bowl MVP honors.Where do you see Akron quarterback Charlie Frye ending up? What round will he go?
Dave, Jackson, Mich.

Frye was on my Big Board during the regular season and is the fourth-rated quarterback in my rankings. Utah's Alex Smith and California's Aaron Rodgers are the top two, followed by Auburn's Jason Campbell and Frye. Everyone knows what he did in shouldering a huge load at Akron, where he showed arm strength, mobility and a competitive fire, and Frye looks, at this point, like a starter-in-waiting for a team that chooses to groom him for a couple years as the heir apparent to an established starter and allow him to get used to the NFL game. As the fourth overall quarterback, he is likely a late-second or early-third round pick.

Connecticut's Dan Orlovsky seems to me to be the type of quarterback who would translate well into the NFL, but I do not hear much about him. Where do you see him going in the draft?
Adam, Washington, D.C.

Orlovsky has the size, arm strength and natural skills NFL teams are looking for, but his poor showing during Senior Bowl week hurt his stock. Orlovsky was very inconsistent and had problems with accuracy down in Mobile, showing he needs to improve his footwork and the pacing of his setup and drop. He needs to be fine-tuned and coached up at the next level to where he can maintain his accuracy, so look for him to come off the board anywhere from the fourth round to the sixth.

Now that the Carolina Panthers have three solid cornerbacks and have helped their offensive line with the signing of Mike Wahle, should they select an offensive tackle to complement left tackle Jordan Gross or try to find a legitimate safety with the No. 14 pick?
Todd, Fayetteville, N.C.

Wide receiver is a critical area for the Panthers after the loss of Muhsin Muhammad to free agency, so right now I project Carolina will take South Carolina wideout Troy Williamson. He has tremendous speed that would make him a nice option to complement Steve Smith and Keary Colbert. Williamson has the flat-out speed Colbert lacks and the size Smith lacks and would help quarterback Jake Delhomme stretch the field a bit.

The line is being restructured, with newly signed Wahle at guard and Travelle Wharton, a third-round pick last year, at the right tackle spot. If the Panthers don't feel Wharton can get it done, then Oklahoma's Jammal Brown might be an option at No. 14, but with Williamson playing in the team's backyard and filling a more immediate need, he has an edge. Of course, there is always the possibility the Panthers could try to trade up and go after a receiver such as Michigan's Braylon Edwards or USC's Mike Williams. But that's probably not likely since Williamson and UAB's Roddy White should both be available by the time the 14th pick rolls around. Carolina can address any needs at safety down the line in the third or fourth round area.

At the position the Jets are in right now with the 26th overall pick, are there any cornerbacks or offensive linemen who could be immediate impact players and start from Day One?
Sal, New York

My latest first-round projection has them taking cornerback Marlin Jackson of Michigan, who can most definitely come in and make an impact immediately. Corner is a critical area of need for the Jets, and Jackson would provide size and adequate recovery speed, as well as toughness sufficient for him play a year at safety in college. The most impressive thing about him is his fluid hips when he turns to run with a receiver, which allows him to use that adequate speed to close on the ball.

And don't forget, Jackson played four years of solid football against top-shelf competition and went against Braylon Edwards every day in practice during that time. That experience is a huge factor in his favor, and Jackson is well-equipped to start as a rookie.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 02:46 AM   #5
AgustusM
College Prospect

I was at QB fundemential practice today with former Cal coach and current QB Guru - Roger Theder. He has been working with QB's for years, including Dan Fouts back in SD years ago.

He was talking about Greene, he worked with him when he was in high school and he said he felt that Greene was the best QB out of all of this years crop and that he is a great athlete.

Now I have worked with Theder for the past three years and he has made lots of these types of comments before and is almost always right on in his analysis.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 07:08 AM   #6
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM
I was at QB fundemential practice today with former Cal coach and current QB Guru - Roger Theder. He has been working with QB's for years, including Dan Fouts back in SD years ago.

He was talking about Greene, he worked with him when he was in high school and he said he felt that Greene was the best QB out of all of this years crop and that he is a great athlete.

Now I have worked with Theder for the past three years and he has made lots of these types of comments before and is almost always right on in his analysis.
Sweet, glad to hear this about one of the boys.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:38 PM   #7
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Here You Go...

Quote:
I have heard and read most of the expert takes on this year's quarterback class, but I have heard very little about Georgia's David Greene. He is very cool under pressure, studies the game and can read defenses with the best of them, and most importantly he is a winner, a leader with great character. When do you see him going in the draft?
Robert Martin Zorich, Houston

Greene translates as a potential starting quarterback but most likely a career backup in the NFL. He has size and smarts in his favor, though, and his accuracy is outstanding. And you're right, Robert, he won a lot of tough games both home and away in the SEC thanks to his leadership and game management. But his lack of mobility and below-average arm strength will be issues and probably keep him out of a starting job unless everything falls just right. Look for him to come off the board sometime early on Day 2 of the draft.

Where do you see Akron quarterback Charlie Frye ending up? What round will he go?
Dave, Jackson, Mich.

Frye was on my Big Board during the regular season and is the fourth-rated quarterback in my rankings. Utah's Alex Smith and California's Aaron Rodgers are the top two, followed by Auburn's Jason Campbell and Frye. Everyone knows what he did in shouldering a huge load at Akron, where he showed arm strength, mobility and a competitive fire, and Frye looks, at this point, like a starter-in-waiting for a team that chooses to groom him for a couple years as the heir apparent to an established starter and allow him to get used to the NFL game. As the fourth overall quarterback, he is likely a late-second or early-third round pick.

Connecticut's Dan Orlovsky seems to me to be the type of quarterback who would translate well into the NFL, but I do not hear much about him. Where do you see him going in the draft?
Adam, Washington, D.C.

Orlovsky has the size, arm strength and natural skills NFL teams are looking for, but his poor showing during Senior Bowl week hurt his stock. Orlovsky was very inconsistent and had problems with accuracy down in Mobile, showing he needs to improve his footwork and the pacing of his setup and drop. He needs to be fine-tuned and coached up at the next level to where he can maintain his accuracy, so look for him to come off the board anywhere from the fourth round to the sixth.

Now that the Carolina Panthers have three solid cornerbacks and have helped their offensive line with the signing of Mike Wahle, should they select an offensive tackle to complement left tackle Jordan Gross or try to find a legitimate safety with the No. 14 pick?
Todd, Fayetteville, N.C.

Wide receiver is a critical area for the Panthers after the loss of Muhsin Muhammad to free agency, so right now I project Carolina will take South Carolina wideout Troy Williamson. He has tremendous speed that would make him a nice option to complement Steve Smith and Keary Colbert. Williamson has the flat-out speed Colbert lacks and the size Smith lacks and would help quarterback Jake Delhomme stretch the field a bit.

The line is being restructured, with newly signed Wahle at guard and Travelle Wharton, a third-round pick last year, at the right tackle spot. If the Panthers don't feel Wharton can get it done, then Oklahoma's Jammal Brown might be an option at No. 14, but with Williamson playing in the team's backyard and filling a more immediate need, he has an edge. Of course, there is always the possibility the Panthers could try to trade up and go after a receiver such as Michigan's Braylon Edwards or USC's Mike Williams. But that's probably not likely since Williamson and UAB's Roddy White should both be available by the time the 14th pick rolls around. Carolina can address any needs at safety down the line in the third or fourth round area.

At the position the Jets are in right now with the 26th overall pick, are there any cornerbacks or offensive linemen who could be immediate impact players and start from Day One?
Sal, New York

My latest first-round projection has them taking cornerback Marlin Jackson of Michigan, who can most definitely come in and make an impact immediately. Corner is a critical area of need for the Jets, and Jackson would provide size and adequate recovery speed, as well as toughness sufficient for him play a year at safety in college. The most impressive thing about him is his fluid hips when he turns to run with a receiver, which allows him to use that adequate speed to close on the ball.

And don't forget, Jackson played four years of solid football against top-shelf competition and went against Braylon Edwards every day in practice during that time. That experience is a huge factor in his favor, and Jackson is well-equipped to start as a rookie.

Last edited by Scarecrow : 03-13-2005 at 01:39 PM.
Scarecrow is offline   Reply With Quote