Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-21-2005, 09:27 PM   #1
Easy Mac

Parents and TV watching

To piggyback on the Nickelodeon thread, how strict were your parents when it came to TV watching when you were a kid (obviously this excludes those like Buccaneer and Skydog who are too old to have grown up with TV's... perhaps we can substitute cave drawings or something).

Anyway, my girlfriend's parents wouldn't let her watch cartoons when she was growing up. She could only watch Sesame Street, Mr. Rodgers, and things like that. Whenever I reference like Tiny Toons or Bugs Bunny, she has no idea what I'm talking about. She still doesn't like me watching The Simpsons or Family Guy, she thinks they're stupid. Obviously the whole cartoon thing will be a problem once kids roll around, since she doesn't want them watching them (over my dead body).

A previous girlfriend was not allowed to watch MTV growing up. I really didn't have any restrictions on what I could watch. My parents didn't lord over me. My dad watched the Simpsons with me... I think the only thing they ever had a problem with me watching was Married... with Children. I guess my parents were just lax or something, I dunno.

How strict were your parents when it came to your TV viewing?

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:31 PM   #2
McSweeny
College Starter

i had pretty much the same experience with my parents and tv as you did. No real restrictions. Though i do remember being terrified of the silence whenever there was some sexual inuendo in a sitcom i was watching with my dad.
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:32 PM   #3
Easy Mac

Sexual situations may be the most uncomfortable thing to watch on tv when your parents are in the room... doubly so when its on tv and your at your in-laws...
Old 03-21-2005, 09:35 PM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

My mom let me watch just about anything on regular TV which was all we had until I was about 13 when we got cable.

On the other hand, my wife's parents were very strict and wouldn't let her watch anything that had any violence or even a hint of a sexual situation. She never saw an episode of Three's Company until we were married. That was one of my favorite comedies when I was a kid.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:35 PM   #5
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Sexual situations may be the most uncomfortable thing to watch on tv when your parents are in the room... doubly so when its on tv and your at your in-laws...

well now that i'm older it's not bad at all. Of course my dad always likes to make cracks about 4 hour erections and i never know quite how to react
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:44 PM   #6
MikeVic
Head Coach

I had few channels (around 13) for a large part of my childhood, so I didn't get to watch MTV and some other channels here in Canada. I remmeber watching Three's Company, Dallas, Dynasty, Knotts Landing, Ninja Turtles, The Muppet Show, and some other shows like that.

I don't think I had restrictions, just based on what I could find on TV. :P
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:50 PM   #7
sooner333
College Starter

My dad and I watched South Park together when I was in the 7th grade...good times.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:53 PM   #8
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

My parents really did not care at all what I watched on TV. Actually, my father and I watched Married With Children everyday at 6 when it would come on. We just kind of "ignored" any of the sexual jokes that would come across.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:09 PM   #9
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSweeny
well now that i'm older it's not bad at all. Of course my dad always likes to make cracks about 4 hour erections and i never know quite how to react

Wait for the part talking about 4-hour erections requiring immediate medical attention, and make a crack about seeking immediate medical attention and grabbing every nurse you can find.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:12 PM   #10
samifan24
Pro Starter

I was never allowed to watch MTV growing up, and that has evolved into never really watching MTV anyway. In fact, I never watched much TV besides from sports when I was younger, and I don't watch a whole lot of TV now.
Old 03-21-2005, 10:14 PM   #11
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

There were only two shows off limits as a child that I can remember, Married with Children and You Can't Do That on Television
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:19 PM   #12
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

until I was 7, we only got one TV channel (sometimes a 2nd one if the weather was good), so it wasn't like there was a lot of choice. I can remember watching some Brady Bunch and Grizzly Adams...and trying to wait up for some Pooh episodes, but other than that there usually wasn't anything on that I wanted to watch (Lawrence Welk, for example, was shown a lot). Never even really saw Sesame Street growing up.

then we moved to LA and got a zillion channels, and it never really was an issue - I don't really remember not being able to watch what I wanted. I think it was usually more an issue of how late I wanted to stay up watching TV.

take it fwiw, but nowadays I rarely watch TV, while my wife - who was heavily restricted in the things she could watch - is like a TV addict.

Last edited by Draft Dodger : 03-21-2005 at 10:19 PM.
Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:51 PM   #13
21C
College Prospect

Is there some sort of gender divide when it comes to watching TV?

I'm like a lot of you guys that my parents let me watch anything and everything. I'm also hearing that parents with girls are more selective with their viewing habits. I have two girls ( 14 and 11 ) and I'm happy enough to let them watch most shows but my wife was dead against letting them watch The Simpsons for years. Occasionally I would sneak a show in with them when my wife was at work since I never saw the harm in it.

Is there something about parents being happy that boys are at least quiet and not tearing up the house while they're watching the tube? Do parents with girls want them doing something more intellectual like reading - something I admit to not doing much as a kid ( apart from Mad magazine )?
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:54 PM   #14
SackAttack
Head Coach

My parents never really restricted our TV viewing, although they certainly "encouraged' other activities. My mom used to drive us down to the local libraries, even though she almost certainly knew that if she did that, I was coming home with two dozen books to read over the next two weeks.

I think she probably figured it was better for me to bury my nose in a stack of hardback books than to stare dumbly at the TV, or worse, go cause trouble in the neighborhood.

The only entertainment activity we had that ever really bothered her was when we'd spend lazy summer afternoons playing Sega instead of getting the hell out of the house so she could have some peace and quiet. If she knew some of the things we did when she kicked us out in Santa Barbara, I think she'd probably have had a change of opinion.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 10:57 PM   #15
Easy Mac

My dad hated me playing video games, he just never understood it. Thinking about it, I crammed a lot of stuff into an afternoon as a kid. I'd often watch 2-3 hours of TV, find 2-3 hours to play sports, read various sports books, and still do my homework each day... I barely have time to sleep now adays.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:21 AM   #16
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm the baby of the family so I pretty much had free reign over the TV set...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:35 AM   #17
sabotai
General Manager

I didn't have any restrictions. In fact, I watched R-rated horror movies with them growing up, including gore-fested B movies. Some of my earliest memories are of sitting on the floor of my living room with my brother in our PJs, my parents on the couch, and a horror movie being played. (Of course, the only thing was we were supposed to cover out eyes when the nudity came on. You can see a lot through barely open eyes through barely open fingers. ) I can't remember a time when I wasn't allowed to watch R-Rated movies, let alone whatever I wanted to on TV.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 12:35 AM   #18
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Am I right to be concerned that my 12 year-old daughter is allowed by her mother to watch "Desperate Housewives?" I mean, it's not like I actually have any say in the matter... And if she turns out to be a whore, it will still be my fault somehow.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:42 AM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

About the only show I can recall specifically being off-limits was Soap which they just hated for some of the raunch factor (of its day). Remember though, we're talking about an age range that had a 9pm or 10pm bedtime too, so some of the stuff that might have been an issue really wasn't coming up for discussion, I was already in bed before it started.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:21 AM   #20
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I wasn't allowed to watch the Dukes of Hazzard. Mom was more strict that Dad. I think it had to do with the flaunting of authority in the show. I can't think of many other limitations the folks put on me in that regard. Dad would watch the Friday Night Horror flick with us as kids.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 07:23 AM   #21
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I always watched tv with my parents after dinner, and we would watch the sitcoms of the day, Dallas, Falcon Crest, Knots Landing, etc....I always watched Sat. morning cartoons without any restriction from my parents. As for the more controversial shows...Married...With Children, The Simpsons, stuff like that, I was never interested in those shows so it was never an issue.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:17 AM   #22
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
I'm the baby of the family so I pretty much had free reign over the TV set...

Same here. By the time I was watching T.V. my parents weren't around much and my sister was watching me most of the time. And overall my parents didn't care much what I was watching anyways. I was a big fan of the Friday the 13th movies as a kid.

The one thing I remember actually sitting down and watching with my Mom almost every week was The Cosby Show, that was basically must see T.V. to my Mom.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:46 AM   #23
Radii
Head Coach

In my younger years we had ABC/NBC/CBS/PBS, and it was not really an issue what I watched. Cartoons on Saturday morning were a ritual, as was Sesame Street I believe.

I became a sports fan very early, and on rare special occasion was allowed to stay up and watch Monday Night Football or a late UNC game.

We first got cable in 1984(I remember the year b/c that was when I was first introduced to the Chicago Cubs). I don't ever remember any restrictions on TV, but that is probably because I spent all of my daylight hours outside, and enjoyed the Atari 800 computer a lot more than I did the TV.

The only show that was ever forbidden was the Simpsons when it first came out. Looking back on it now that seems incredibly silly that I was allowed to watch the sexual innuendo every week on Night Court but couldn't watch Bart say "Don't have a cow man" :shrug:
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:21 AM   #24
SFL Cat
College Starter

No restrictions that I recall. Of course, since my mom and dad both worked, it wasn't unusual for me to walk my little sister home from school, do my homework, and then spend the rest of the afternoon watching cartoons (ones I remember - Hanna Barbara & Looney Tunes, Speed Racer, Ultraman).
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:23 AM   #25
Coder
College Prospect

I've never had any kind of "limits" on what I could watch..

then again.. I turned out to be a drug-using alcoholic with violent tendencies and zero respect towards women.. mhm..

oops..

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 10:03 AM   #26
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua
My parents really did not care at all what I watched on TV. Actually, my father and I watched Married With Children everyday at 6 when it would come on. We just kind of "ignored" any of the sexual jokes that would come across.

that's a lot of ignoring.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 11:26 AM   #27
MacroGuru
Coordinator

No limits here....

Saturday was Cartoon day until noon, then I was outside....this occured all the time. I in fact was a lot like sabotai, in what I watched with the parents.

The in-laws wouldn't allow their kids (Wife, bro in laws and sis in laws) to watch MTV or a lot of cartoons. It was mainly Nick and that was it.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:32 AM   #28
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

We were restricted to one hour of cartoons on Saturdays and I was only allowed one football game per Sunday until junior high. I now see it as a good thing because it forced me to learn to love to read. I don't know what I'm going to do about sports on tv when I have kids though. How can I limit how much sports they will watch when I'll want to watch about as much as I can?
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 11:44 AM   #29
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab
We were restricted to one hour of cartoons on Saturdays and I was only allowed one football game per Sunday until junior high. I now see it as a good thing because it forced me to learn to love to read. I don't know what I'm going to do about sports on tv when I have kids though. How can I limit how much sports they will watch when I'll want to watch about as much as I can?

Well, as it turns out...my daughter watches soccer. My son, Baseball.

Neither of them show interest in Football (Daddy's Sport) unless it's our poor college team, BYU Cougars or my Semi-Pro team. Then they only go cause they want to see their "cousins".
Old 03-22-2005, 11:54 AM   #30
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack
My parents never really restricted our TV viewing, although they certainly "encouraged' other activities. My mom used to drive us down to the local libraries, even though she almost certainly knew that if she did that, I was coming home with two dozen books to read over the next two weeks.

NERD!!!!!
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 11:54 AM   #31
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder
I've never had any kind of "limits" on what I could watch..

then again.. I turned out to be a drug-using alcoholic with violent tendencies and zero respect towards women.. mhm..

oops..

i love you.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote