Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-20-2005, 10:27 AM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Angry Philips ProntoPro

Does anyone else have one of these all-in-one remotes? I bought one last year when I moved into the house to control all of my stuff. I looked pretty involved getting one setup, and I had all sorts of other stuff on my plate after moving back from Europe and into the house that I put it on the back burner.

Well, now I've decided to give it a try, and damn the thing is complicated! I found some sites on the web that have pre-made files and config settings. I thought having almost all Sony equipment would help, but I can't seem to find files for any of the Sony equipment I have.

I'm a very technical guy, but this thing has me stumped. I'd like to hear the stories of others who have one of these, to see maybe if I'm overlooking something obvious.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:48 AM   #2
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Does anyone else have one of these all-in-one remotes? I bought one last year when I moved into the house to control all of my stuff. I looked pretty involved getting one setup, and I had all sorts of other stuff on my plate after moving back from Europe and into the house that I put it on the back burner.

Well, now I've decided to give it a try, and damn the thing is complicated! I found some sites on the web that have pre-made files and config settings. I thought having almost all Sony equipment would help, but I can't seem to find files for any of the Sony equipment I have.

I'm a very technical guy, but this thing has me stumped. I'd like to hear the stories of others who have one of these, to see maybe if I'm overlooking something obvious.

This is a pretty good website that has a forum for the pronto pro where you can get programming tips and a lot of discrete codes.
http://www.remotecentral.com/

I don't have a pronto pro but an MX-300. To get the discrete codes entered in for some of my devices I had to buy a cheap radio shack remote and use it to 'train' my other remote. Sounds confusing and it was ... hopefully you dont' have to go this route.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:51 AM   #3
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I've had a ProntoPro TSU6000 for a couple of years now, and I absolutely love it. Programming it took a bit of time, but I downloaded a full setup from removecentral.com and converted the buttons to do what I needed them to do. This seemed much easier than trying to do everything myself, and I've got a nice consistent look throughout all of my screens.

My only real complaint about the remote is that the batteries don't last long enough before they need to be recharged.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:05 AM   #4
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
This is a pretty good website that has a forum for the pronto pro where you can get programming tips and a lot of discrete codes.
http://www.remotecentral.com/

I don't have a pronto pro but an MX-300. To get the discrete codes entered in for some of my devices I had to buy a cheap radio shack remote and use it to 'train' my other remote. Sounds confusing and it was ... hopefully you dont' have to go this route.

Yep, I've been to that website. They have, by far, the most codes and other files available. I'm trying to see which of the models they have are closest to what I have, and go from there. I am also trying to find codes that work with Microsoft Media Center Edition 2005. From what I've read, there is a lot of hex codes you have to type in, because of some strange formatting of the IR.

I have the TSU7000, and it is extremely cool. I bought it for the WOW factor, and am facing the cold reality of trying to make it cool... I'm just gonna have to buckle down and figure it out. I found a guy that will program it all, but he wan't $195 per device to do it, and I've got 8 things to control!!!
Old 03-22-2005, 09:43 AM   #5
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yep, I've been to that website. They have, by far, the most codes and other files available. I'm trying to see which of the models they have are closest to what I have, and go from there. I am also trying to find codes that work with Microsoft Media Center Edition 2005. From what I've read, there is a lot of hex codes you have to type in, because of some strange formatting of the IR.

I have the TSU7000, and it is extremely cool. I bought it for the WOW factor, and am facing the cold reality of trying to make it cool... I'm just gonna have to buckle down and figure it out. I found a guy that will program it all, but he wan't $195 per device to do it, and I've got 8 things to control!!!

You certainly can't pay that much. I still say look for a full configuration to download and just reconfigure the buttons. If you can find something that contains each type of equipment that you have (tv, dvd, receiver), you can always use your current remotes to reprogram the buttons. That will leave you with just finding the discrete on/off codes and a few other functions.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:46 AM   #6
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD
You certainly can't pay that much. I still say look for a full configuration to download and just reconfigure the buttons. If you can find something that contains each type of equipment that you have (tv, dvd, receiver), you can always use your current remotes to reprogram the buttons. That will leave you with just finding the discrete on/off codes and a few other functions.

The same guy that charges for the programming also has a guide to programming the Pronto Pros (tsu3000/tsu7000). I paid for it, and it looks like it is going to be a great help. The documentation that comes with the unit is pretty sparse, and the GUI to program isn't intuitive at all.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:45 PM   #7
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
The same guy that charges for the programming also has a guide to programming the Pronto Pros (tsu3000/tsu7000). I paid for it, and it looks like it is going to be a great help. The documentation that comes with the unit is pretty sparse, and the GUI to program isn't intuitive at all.

There's something pretty sad about a company that sells a $500 remote and doesn't even provide enough documentation for a reasonable intelligent person to actually program it.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote