Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-21-2005, 08:33 PM   #1
MJ4H
Coordinator

How much better would it be

if the Star Wars trilogy by Timothy Zahn that follows the events of Return of the Jedi was made into movies instead of the prequels that Lucas is making?

I think these books are outstanding. There are so many dumb star wars books out there. This trilogy succeeds in every way the others fail. And they succeed better than Lucas did with his prequels. I vastly prefer rereading these books to watching the Lucas prequels. Who else is with me?

For those unsure of what I'm talking about the books are:

Heir to the Empire
Dark Force Rising
The Last Command

He has a couple of other books that follow these (not part of the trilogy) in chronology, but they aren't quite as good (however, I think they are still better than the other star wars books).

MJ4H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:01 PM   #2
sabotai
General Manager

I read those several years ago and thought they were fantastic. I'll probably give them another read through at some point.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:41 AM   #3
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Reread this trilogy over the winter. They are indeed the best Star Wars books out there.

As for turning them into movies, my first thought is that I wouldn't like it because I see certain characters as the actor that protrayed them. I don't think anyone could play Han Solo other than Harrison Ford. Heck, I can't see Lando being played by anyone other than Billy Dee Williams.

On the other hand, it would be cool to see Admiral Thrawn, Talon Karrde, and Mara Jade in movie form.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 05:03 AM   #4
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I agree, I think it would have been great if these had been turned into movies. However, we could just as easily be sitting here right now bitching about the portrayal of Thrawn and Jade, and wishing Lucas had given us the first three episodes instead.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 07:11 AM   #5
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I don't know... I read that trilogy back when it was first published. I really enjoyed the first book and I felt Zahn did a really good job at nailing down the original characters: Luke, Leia, Han, Wedge, etc. Heck, I even named my goldfish at the time Grand Admiral Thrawn.

Things started getting a bit wonky, however, as the trilogy moved on and characters like Jade and Thrawn started taking the book over, I lost interest. His own characters, for the most part, annoyed me greatly and he seemed to build them up too much. trying to make them just a little too cool.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:17 AM   #6
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

isn't it theoretically possible that within the next decade, Lucas could turn these into movies and use a digital recreation of Mark Hamill, Billy Dee, Harrison Ford, etc? Has technology progressed to that point yet? Because I have a feeling if Lucas could get away with it, he would.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:20 AM   #7
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
isn't it theoretically possible that within the next decade, Lucas could turn these into movies and use a digital recreation of Mark Hamill, Billy Dee, Harrison Ford, etc? Has technology progressed to that point yet? Because I have a feeling if Lucas could get away with it, he would.

That would almost be creepy to me for some reason.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:56 AM   #8
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
I agree, I think it would have been great if these had been turned into movies. However, we could just as easily be sitting here right now bitching about the portrayal of Thrawn and Jade, and wishing Lucas had given us the first three episodes instead.
I don't know of one person who would be bitching about how they haven't seen Jar-Jar brought to life on the silver screen.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:48 PM   #9
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

This would be great as long as Lucas wasn't allowed on the set.
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:19 PM   #10
Franklinnoble
Banned

It'll never happen. Even if Lucas croaks, it'll be 20 years of legal battles before anyone could possibly make another Star Wars movie.

Enjoy Episode III, because that's gonna be it.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 02:42 PM   #11
ShovelMonkey
H.S. Freshman Team

I've always thought that the Zahn books would've made the better trilogy. In fact, when I first heard the news of the new Star Wars movies, before the storylines were announced, I figured that that's what they'd be about.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:49 PM   #12
JediKooter
Coordinator

There's always the supposed live action Star Wars TV series to look forward to that is due out in 2006. But, it is supposed to take place between Episodes 3 and 4. I would prefer a series that takes place after what happend in Return of the Jedi.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:03 PM   #13
KWhit
Coordinator

Were the Zahn books the ones that had those worms or whatever that caused the force not to work?

That bothered me. Seemed as silly as the midiclorians.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:50 PM   #14
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
Were the Zahn books the ones that had those worms or whatever that caused the force not to work?

I believe so. He carried them around his neck or in a cage or something. They should have just made Thrawn immune to the force and they wouldnt have needed the worm things. I felt that midiclorians kinda 'Star Treked' the force.
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:51 PM   #15
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Yes, the Zahn books had the yslarmi.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:53 PM   #16
KWhit
Coordinator

I read the books well before episode 1 came out. When they started talking about Midiclorians during the movie I remember thinking, "That's just as stupid as those worms in the books."

I think I would have liked the books if it weren't for the damn worms.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:59 PM   #17
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:

You would be speaking of the ysalamiri from the planet Myrkr. That is one of the things that I accept in the Star Wars universe, but I'm not real happy about either.

Zahn is clearly the fan's darling of the Star Wars Expanded Universe. I think that is largely justified if for no other reason than he created the most endearing characters, namely Thrawn and Jade. When I first read the Zahn books, though, I didn't like the notion that he brought "sci fi writing" to Star Wars. What I think was appealing about the original trilogy was that Lucas created a timeless setting -- it all seemed very "real." Endor and Wookies sounds like a real place and character. Myrkr and ysalamiri don't. That's my chief complaint about this books. That said, I think his Thrawn and Outbound Flight storylines have been good reads.

I think the New Jedi Order might have made a better third trilogy. It was a good series of books, if not too long. My only complaint was that Jaina, Jacen and Anakin (for a while) were too much the stars. I wouldn't have minded seeing the Yuuzhan Vong brought to the screen, even if I hate the name. I do think that some of the best Star Wars books have focused on fleshing out lesser characters from the movies -- the X-Wing series is a great example.

I love the history the Expanded Universe authors gave Zonama Sekot. The story wove seamlessly between the prequels and the original trilogy and even included Wilhuff Tarkin!

God, I'm a loser.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:02 PM   #18
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
I read the books well before episode 1 came out. When they started talking about Midiclorians during the movie I remember thinking, "That's just as stupid as those worms in the books."

I think I would have liked the books if it weren't for the damn worms.
They are actually more like lizards or salamanders because they have feet than worms.

Yeah, I didn't get a lot of action in high school. Big surprise.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:43 AM   #19
moriarty
College Starter

Between Kcchief19 in this thread and Tanglewood in the other one ... you guys are starting to freak me out a bit w/ all your Star Wars knowledge.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:46 AM   #20
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
They are actually more like lizards or salamanders because they have feet than worms.

Haha.

Thanks for setting me straight.

Old 03-23-2005, 08:25 AM   #21
Hammer755
High School Varsity

I'm not an avid reader of the Star Wars books, but am interested in the ones that continue the world from the original trilogy. The Zahn books are good, and I especially like Shadows of the Empire, which is set between Empire and Jedi. It introduces Xixor, who battles with Darth Vader for the spot of #2 villain in the galaxy.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:49 AM   #22
Havok
College Starter

im actually about 100 pages away from finishing this trilogy, kinda wierd that there is a post about them