Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-31-2005, 03:16 PM   #1
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

FBCB: Job Dilemma

Hi all,

I'm really stuck on what to do in FBCB.

I started as a Level 10 coach at Eastern Kentucky, which was in the Level 2 Ohio Valley Conference. I struggled early on, but while in the OVC brought in some class recruits. After a 9-20 3rd season, however, we were demoted to the MEAC. With my nice recruits, though, I ran off 3 straight regular season and tournament championships, turning down some "baby-step" job offers along the way. During those three years (2008-2010, for reference), I won 72 games. The following season (2011), we struggled, as my recruiting had dropped off noticeably while in the MEAC (Level 1 prestige).

We went just 17-12, and didn't have any luck in the conference tournament. So I received no job offers, and with another piss-poor recruiting class, I was concerned. The following season (last year, 2012), however, I turned it around. We won 22 games, including the regular season championship; we did, however, lose in the finals of the conference tournament.

Fast forward to now (May of 2013) -- I've turned the program around, getting us back into a Level 2 conference (the Southern Conference), and in the past five seasons won 111 games (losing 45). This year, however, our recruiting was AWFUL, and though we bring back four starters, we lose our leading scorer. Our best player will be David Massengale, a 7-foot redshirt junior who averaged 12 and 9 last season. At the point, Tony Hill runs the show; he had a great A/T ratio and almost averaged double digits last year. In between, however, we have trouble. Our SF is a defensive stopper and nothing more, our SG is a rotation of backup point guards, and at PF we have NOBODY.

Because I don't see this squad winning 20 games, I feel I must move on. The question is, where. I received about a dozen job offers in the first head coaching round, but only one really stands out.

Wright State (Prestige 54 in the Level 3 Horizon league) brings back four starters from the regular season championship team; their two scholarship freshmen aren't great, but are pretty decent defenders, and as such could definitely find a role in the team. Overall, I think I could win 20 games with this team.

The question is, do I move to Wright State, who appears to be just about peaking, or do I wait another round for a better offer (dare I suggest a legit Level 4 conference team?!)?

Any advice is appreciated, especially pronto!!!

Thanks,
~rpi-fan

RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:20 PM   #2
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Move to Wright St.. you can always move in 2-3 years once you take wright st to glory.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:20 PM   #3
MrIllini
High School Varsity

take Wright, you're not going to get anything from a level 4
Old 03-31-2005, 03:20 PM   #4
JeeberD
General Manager

Shorty says to take the Wright State job and then give him a schollie...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:25 PM   #5
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Time to move on, especially when your best player is a total douche-bag.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Our best player will be David Massengale

Sorry...
Old 04-01-2005, 12:59 AM   #6
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

GO WRIGHT STATE!!! I've taken them to a national runner-up finish...in 2018 I think. So you're setup to repeat history in a few years
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 01:46 AM   #7
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Thats funny cause i too usually start with Eastern Kentucky to start off with.. i turn off conference movement though... my current career is just about over (eku/butler/Missouri).. with my ultimate career goal in fbcb still unmade (Being offered the Louisville job)
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:08 AM   #8
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Small update:

I did take the Wright State job, and won 20 games my first season, though had no post-season play. The following season, I had a lot of home games (on the back end of home-and-home's), and played a pretty solid non-conference schedule. We were great up until conference play; until around January we were nationally ranked in the media poll and had a top-10 RPI, so we were no joke. But it fell apart during conference play, and though we won two games in the conference tournament didn't even reach the finals.

I brought in a good recruiting class, though, having handed out five scholarships (I also brought in three very solid players the year before who were redshirted). I think we can again compete for the conference title (two of my redshirts were JC players, so they are developed).

I got offered some Level 4 jobs after my first year at WSU, but nothing blew me away. Santa Clara from the WCC was the most tempting, but I didn't even really give that very much thought.

Thanks!
~rpi-fan