Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-05-2005, 07:39 AM   #701
hoopsguy
General Manager

Shaef, couldn't agree more. I have no problem at all with UNC winning a title outside of McCants. From a distance, May seems like a class act. Ditto both Jawad and Marvin Williams. I've been warming up to Felton this year, now that he has a game to match his hype. But McCants continues to be a penis in the Stoudamire mold. I'm bummed that Illinois contributed to that tool getting a championship.

Fool around with the jersey = take it off and preen sans shirt for cameras? Because that is the highlight they were showing right before the announcers cut over to interview May. Maybe they would have asked for McCants' thoughts on the game if he had scored a point in the second half.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 07:47 AM   #702
MrIllini
High School Varsity

McCants is the epitome of no class. His face after the game, lying on the floor, while not the circumstances I was hoping for, still was classic...seemed to me to be a look of astonishment as if to say "holy shit, good thing Sean was around, cause I didn't do dick...I can't believe we won."

Or maybe that was just the way I took it...
Old 04-05-2005, 07:49 AM   #703
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I'm still waiting for the refs to call a moving screen foul on the illini.... christ, the football team needs to get weber to teach form and techinque to the olinemen

Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 07:53 AM   #704
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone
I'm still waiting for the refs to call a moving screen foul on the illini.... christ, the football team needs to get weber to teach form and techinque to the olinemen

I hear John Cheney has a grat fix for moving screens. . .
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 08:18 AM   #705
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I'm a UNC fan, and I can't stand McCants either, he has great talent, but a terrible attitude, and has always seemed to think he's better than anyone else on the team.

Great game, though I hated seeing Felton getting ripped off by recognition, interviews etc after the game. May is a great player no doubt, but Felton is the one irreplaceable Tar Heel.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 08:28 AM   #706
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Pretty good game overall. Illinois had some chances, and I was happy they came back. Shame they couldn't win it though.

However, Billy Packer is the biggest ACC whore of all time. Screaming at the end of the game about the illegal screens, but he was amazingly silent when North Carolina would go over the back or when May steamrolled Powell in the first half with his shoulder. Odd he didn't mention that at all.

My favorite quote was when Packer mentioned that May needed a little blow. I was waiting for Billy to offer one to him.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 08:29 AM   #707
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
I'm a UNC fan, and I can't stand McCants either, he has great talent, but a terrible attitude, and has always seemed to think he's better than anyone else on the team.

Great game, though I hated seeing Felton getting ripped off by recognition, interviews etc after the game. May is a great player no doubt, but Felton is the one irreplaceable Tar Heel.

Are you kidding me? Without May, Illinios wins easily. I'm an NC fan and I don't get to see many games living here in the midwest, but from what I've seen of Felton, I'm not impressed. The guy reminds me of Justin Gage, taking shots from anywhere on the floor.. no matter who's open. Yes, he does make them from beyond the arc, but I just think he tries to be in the spotlight too much.

You might have more insight on Felton than I do, but I honestly don't like the way he shoots at will. Oh well, I'm going to enjoy this one.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 08:47 AM   #708
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Maybe it's that you haven't seen many games. There was an article on ESPN I believe a few weeks ago that confirmed my thinking, it basically compared statwise UNC's play when Felton is out of a game to the rest of the time. Basically when he is off the floor, they play badly, most of their shakiest moments in the tournament came when he had fouled out or was on the bench for a rest.

I'm not dissing May at all, he's been playing amazing basketball lately, but I think most people (had a discussion at work with other UNC fans today and they all agreed) would agree that Felton's their ball handler, their go-to guy who makes the clutch shots. He does have bad shot selection at times though.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:29 AM   #709
Radii
Head Coach

UNC can win without May, they cannot win without Felton. Felton jacks up some shots that perhaps he shouldn't, but he isn't like Iverson or anything like that. Last season one of Carolina's biggest weaknesses was that Felton was not a good enough jump shooter. He is a great penetrator but defenders could lay off him since he wasn't a serious threat to hit the 3. This year he worked on that and it's one of the most important reasons that UNC was so good. It seems to me that he shoots just enough to keep the other teams honest. When Carolina is seriously running the floor he may pull up immediately on occasion but I think that is just part of their fast paced game plan.

I will say about McCants, he didn't score in the 2nd half and UNC still won. I have felt for awhile now that McCants is no longer the Heels #1 option on most nights. He gets guys defending him that he can break down and he's good for 15-20 points many nights, but at the end of the game, I want felton driving and making the decision on his own, shoot/inside feed to may/dish out to mccants or scott or whoever. As long as Jackie Manual doesn't take a critical shot I'm ok with anyone on that team shooting.

But anyway... McCants didn't score and he didn't pout and he didn't get selfish and try to take over the game by himself like he did last year. He's grown as a player. It's very unfortunate to see the stuff he did after the game and I'm not sad to see he's going to the pros. I wanted to like him, and I definitely respect his game a bit more now than I did last year, he has become a team player, but I wish he'd learn to be a bit more gracious.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 11:20 AM   #710
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy
However, Billy Packer is the biggest ACC whore of all time. Screaming at the end of the game about the illegal screens, but he was amazingly silent when North Carolina would go over the back or when May steamrolled Powell in the first half with his shoulder. Odd he didn't mention that at all.
Didn't see May on Powell, since I only watched toward the end of the game, but while I was watching, Illinois was getting away with pretty much anything they wanted short of murder on the screens. Packer was in no way out of line to be commenting on it. Heck, in one case the Carolina guy basically had to throw the Illinois player to the floor to get around him and there was no call. I didn't see Carolina do anything notable while rebounding in that time.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 11:34 AM   #711
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday
Didn't see May on Powell, since I only watched toward the end of the game, but while I was watching, Illinois was getting away with pretty much anything they wanted short of murder on the screens. Packer was in no way out of line to be commenting on it. Heck, in one case the Carolina guy basically had to throw the Illinois player to the floor to get around him and there was no call. I didn't see Carolina do anything notable while rebounding in that time.
May was putting his shoulder down at times and doing some Shaq-Fu, but yeah, Illinois was getting away with things, as well. I thought it was kinda bad when Noel had to leave the game for UNC because of getting raked across the eyes and no foul was called. I'd say they were just letting them play, but 30 seconds later someone was called for a touch foul...I just thought the officiating was pretty bad regardless of who they were calling things on.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:32 PM   #712
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
Maybe it's that you haven't seen many games. There was an article on ESPN I believe a few weeks ago that confirmed my thinking, it basically compared statwise UNC's play when Felton is out of a game to the rest of the time. Basically when he is off the floor, they play badly, most of their shakiest moments in the tournament came when he had fouled out or was on the bench for a rest.

I'm not dissing May at all, he's been playing amazing basketball lately, but I think most people (had a discussion at work with other UNC fans today and they all agreed) would agree that Felton's their ball handler, their go-to guy who makes the clutch shots. He does have bad shot selection at times though.

Fair enough. He just reminds me of a few Missouri Tigers. I did hear the announcers say Felton has improved a lot (matured) this year though.

Todd
Old 04-05-2005, 12:34 PM   #713
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
UNC can win without May, they cannot win without Felton

Wrong. Without May, they get smoked last night and the Illinios fans are screaming.

Todd
Old 04-05-2005, 12:52 PM   #714
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Whoo! Go Heels.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:53 PM   #715
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Wrong. Without May, they get smoked last night and the Illinios fans are screaming.

Todd

Mizzou,

You are both right.

He's correct in what he writes. May came up huge in this tournament, and he was all world last night, but the Tar Heels don't get by anyone without Felton. They lost to Santa Clara this year when he wasn't on the floor.

He's a critical cog of that team, wheather you like him or not. Why else would Roy Williams switch the defense to a zone to protect him? he isn't going to do that for anyone short of May or Felton on that team.

And he's right that the times NC struggled most in this tourney is when Felton was out of the game.

As for him shooting too much, I'm not real sure what that part is about. He took 9 shots last night, right at his season average. That isn't out of line IMO, especially considering that he hit 4-5 three pointers. He had 7 assists last night to go with the 17 points. I didn't get the feeling he was showboating at all. And he hit, without arguement, the most important shot of that game for NC. The deep three was the critical play in the game.

On the other hand, you are right too. May was dominant last night. 26 points on 10-11 shooting isn't anything to sneeze at. He came up big at the clutch times.

If you ask Roy Williams if he could have won without either of them, I'm pretty sure he'd tell you he couldn't have. If you had went up to him before the game and said "You can only play with either May or Felton, you can't have both" I have absolutely no doubt he would have picked May to sit out. They have a shot without May, without Felton they are DOA
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:58 PM   #716
Radii
Head Coach

Right, they would not have beaten Illinois' last night without May and Felton and the entire team. they wouldn't have beaten Duke the one time they did without May. However, they would have struggled against Oakland without Felton.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:36 PM   #717
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I hear ya both but I respectfully disagree - and it may (ha, no pun intended) just be because I only watched a handful of NC games this year. I'm getting that NCAA satellite package next year darn it!

In the games I've watched, I would take May anyday over Felton if only one could play for me.

I will say I trust you guys when you say Felton is as good as he is though... one question - there's no doubt May is going to the NBA sometime, do you think Felton is that calibur?

Todd
Old 04-05-2005, 03:49 PM   #718
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
In the games I've watched, I would take May anyday over Felton if only one could play for me.

It's not so much that Felton is the best one on the team or anything, its that no one else can come close to doing the job of running the team. I will say though that Felton has created more tivo "wow, I gotta replay that a few times" moments than anyone else on the team. With the exception of Dee Brown and Chris Paul, no one is nearly as quick as Felton with the ball. He had some brain farts against Wisconsin, MSU and Illinois that I had not seen before... just a few poor decisions. Usually his game is flawless.

As for the NBA, he needs to work on his shot, and probably needs to be able to play 1 on 1 better to create his own shot. I definitely think he can be a point guard in the NBA though. He improved as a shooter by leaps and bounds last season. Another season to get his FT % over 75%, to increase his range a little, etc, would do him wonders.
Old 04-05-2005, 03:52 PM   #719
Radii
Head Coach

dola,

I should also note that while I'm defending the hell out of Felton b/c May is the one getting all the publicity(and deservedly so of course), after the first Duke game this year, May really came into his own, he started putting up double doubles every game, and turned into the dominating player that he became in the NCAA tournament before our eyes. Over that stretch of about 5 games after the first Duke game Sean May became my favorite Tar Heel ever... as someone who has watched 15-20 UNC games every year since 1985 or so and who knows the team's entire history that is saying an awful lot.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:08 PM   #720
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
dola,

I should also note that while I'm defending the hell out of Felton b/c May is the one getting all the publicity(and deservedly so of course), after the first Duke game this year, May really came into his own, he started putting up double doubles every game, and turned into the dominating player that he became in the NCAA tournament before our eyes. Over that stretch of about 5 games after the first Duke game Sean May became my favorite Tar Heel ever... as someone who has watched 15-20 UNC games every year since 1985 or so and who knows the team's entire history that is saying an awful lot.

I agree, he's amazing to watch.

Todd
Old 04-06-2005, 05:16 AM   #721
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I knew illinois was doomed when they couldn't stop ellis myles.. wtf was they gonna do against sean may?
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote