Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-25-2005, 04:13 PM   #1
CraigSca
Pro Starter

OT - An American in Scotland

I admit, I am a complete neophyte when it comes to international travel (domestic I have no problems at all). A couple years ago I went to Ireland for about 4 days with another group. They pretty much took care of everything and I had a wonderful time checking out the countryside, Dublin and the Guinness factory .

Recently, I've been asked to head to Scotland (mostly Edinburgh, but a little London, England) on business for about 7-10 days, leaving next week. I have so many questions, because I've never had to put together an international trip. Flight reservations are easy, but I have the following questions:

can anyone recommend how to find an inexpensive hotel that has internet services?

should I rent a car, or am I asking for trouble having to flip-flop everything I've learned for the past 20 years?

we've all heard about food in the uk - it's my understanding, however, that seafood is big on the coasts. is this true?

Just through osmosis, I get the impression that Americans aren't very well liked outside of the US. Should I be prepared for this? I am nowhere near the sterotypical brash American (no, I will not be wearing Bermuda shorts with zinc oxide on my nose yelling, "Serve ME!"), and make it a point to say, "please, thank you, etc." Am I ridiculous for even asking this question in the first place?

When I was in Ireland, I remember there was nothing on TV and only about 4 channels. Is it the same way in Scotland? Should I be chastised for even asking about TV?

Anything else I should know about regarding Scotland/London and restaurants/pubs (weird closing times, not open on Sundays)? Any weird thing that an American may not ordinarily know?

Thanks in advance...
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:23 PM   #2
ice4277
Pro Rookie

You could probaby learn a lot more about the specifics of your destinations from people that live there, but as an American who was in Europe for 10 days last fall, I can tell you a couple things that stood out to me:

I never ran into a problem with people because I was American, one possible exception being with the border guards in (surprise, surprise) France. Otherwise, I met a lot of great people. One other thing I knew before I went, but totally forgot when I got there, was that pubs in U.K. close at 11. Also, in most places, you have to order your drink and food from the bar, they usually don't have waiters.

Other than that stuff, I can't think of much off the top of my head. I had a great time in London and Barcelona, Paris was ok too. Never ran into any real problems anywhere.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:23 PM   #3
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I lived in England for 5 years, and spent a lot of time in Scotland (Glasgow & Edinburgh). It's a great place, and you I hope you'll have an enjoyable time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca
can anyone recommend how to find an inexpensive hotel that has internet services?

I can't, unfortunately. I've rarely stayed in a hotel in Edinburgh, since I've had friends who lived nearby. The type of hotels who are likely to have internet services are likely to be a bit more expensive.

Quote:
should I rent a car, or am I asking for trouble having to flip-flop everything I've learned for the past 20 years?

Depends. Public transport is comprehensive, if not especially punctual. So, it depends where you're going. If you're going to be in Edinburgh itself, you can use the bus system to get around. For the occasional trips to London, use the East Coast train, which is the best method.

I'd only recommend the hassle of a car if you've got to visit sites not frequented by public transport.

Quote:
we've all heard about food in the uk - it's my understanding, however, that seafood is big on the coasts. is this true?

I grew up in Maine, and found the seafood (besides fish & chips) uniformly horrible. However, people from the Midwest said they found it good. Go figure. In Scotland, the best "traditional" food is the game. I recommend deer, rabbit, etc.... Otherwise, go for Indian, which is uniformly the best food in Britain (unless you want to spend $300+ for French in London).

Quote:
Just through osmosis, I get the impression that Americans aren't very well liked outside of the US. Should I be prepared for this? I am nowhere near the sterotypical brash American (no, I will not be wearing Bermuda shorts with zinc oxide on my nose yelling, "Serve ME!"), and make it a point to say, "please, thank you, etc." Am I ridiculous for even asking this question in the first place?

Don't worry about it. You won't get people screaming at you. Brits & Scots tend to like to make a lot of snarky jokes about Americans once they get to know you, but that comes with the territory. Respond with comments about their weather & food and you'll be family.

Quote:
When I was in Ireland, I remember there was nothing on TV and only about 4 channels. Is it the same way in Scotland? Should I be chastised for even asking about TV?

Yeah, don't bother. I mean, I love Channel 4, and BBC 1 is often good, but there isn't a lot of variety. You should be spending your free time in pubs, anyway.

Quote:
Anything else I should know about regarding Scotland/London and restaurants/pubs (weird closing times, not open on Sundays)? Any weird thing that an American may not ordinarily know?

Sundays continue to be a challenge, but not as much as in Ireland. If you've already been to Ireland you're familiar with the basic climate.

If you can tell me a little bit more about the nature of your work (a lot of travel whilst over there, for instance?) and the kinds of things you like to do, I'll try to be a bit more specific.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:25 PM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm just curious. Your company is sending you there for work but not providing you with any information?

About the car I think the first step would be finding out if you legaly are able to drive.

My memories of the UK are they liked us just fine.

TV is definantly less advanced, you will probably get alot of soccer and baywatch

You should be able to contact the embassy there for more specific information, but I think you will have a great time.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:32 PM   #5
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I spent a few days in Ireland last November. I found the driving on the wrong side of the road thing to be quite managable. The first car that came at me always made me jump and it was tough to judge distance on the sides, but certainly not insurmountable.

The Scots are a good people. You shouldn't find anyone all that pissy just because you're American. It can happen and did to me once in Belgium (an old drunk Englishman kept commenting about how much he hated America/Bush/Rumsfeld/etc to me and my Canadian friend. It didn't last long and we were friends by the end of the night).

I found the food in London to be fine. Pub food is pub food. The other food I ate tended to be ethnic, a nice curry like flere mentioned or chinese.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:33 PM   #6
Critch
lolzcat

Edinburgh is a great place, I went to college there and lived there for a number of years afterwards. Very historic city, beautiful. Not many places you'll go where the main landmark is a castle on top of an extinct volcano slap bang in the middle of town.

It's very studenty, plus very touristy, so there are bars everywhere. I'm not to sure about hotels, I never used them as I lived there. There are a few in the city center, not sure how pricey of inexpensive they are.

Don't worry about American's reputation abroad. I think that's all overplayed in the US. Anybody who has a problem will have a problem with your gov, not with the individuals. Everywhere I've ever been has always reacted to foreigners more with interest and friendlyness than open dislike. If that doesn't work, just call them a wanker and flick a v-sign at them to fit in.

Bar hours are fairly normal, all opened sundays, open til 2am-ish generally in the city center, tv is loaded as everywhere should have satellite (but good luck seeing anything other than soccer in a bar).

Remember as well that despite being Scotland's capitol, it's not a very large city, only about 300k. More of a big town (Glasgow is far larger). Pretty much everything is within a reasonably priced cab ride of everywhere else.

For food, don't miss out on fish and chips from a chip shop. I've got a huge list of bars that are worth "seeing" if you're interested too.

edit to save a dola - Pub closing times in England are earlier than Scotland, different legal systems (along with a seperate church) is one of the few things we kept after 1707. Also don't tip barmen, that's the main difference in pubs. They're salaried, don't live on tips like here.

Last edited by Critch : 04-25-2005 at 04:37 PM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 04:34 PM   #7
Desnudo
Coordinator

Ask the people in Scotland that you are going to do business with where to stay.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:07 PM   #8
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Thanks all - I remember I "accidentally" tipped (or tried to) the bartender in Ireland and I was told by the people I was with that was considered rude. Oops.

Most of the business in Scotland will be located near Edinburgh (Melville Gate). I've been having trouble finding it on a map, actually. I'm pretty much on my own because we are a small start-up company with little or no HR (we have no affiliation with a travel company).

I will talk to the people I'll be working with, but they're out of London and I thought I'd get a jumpstart on the Scottish piece of the itinerary.

Thanks all for your helpful info

P.S. I am COMPLETELY cool with pubs and pub food. I guess I'll be frequenting the pubs a lot
how do you know?

Old 04-25-2005, 06:11 PM   #9
Yossarian
High School Varsity

I'm Scottish.

Live in Glasgow (it IS larger than Edinburgh, but I think we're around 500k people just now, so not massive).

In Edinburger, I don't know of any cheap hotels but for fantastic food, if you like Mexican, I highly recommend Pancho Villas

Quote:
Our address is: 240 Canongate, Edinburgh EH8 8AB
Telephone: 0131 557 4416
We're right in the heart of the Old Town, near Murray House and the new Scottish Parliament.

Give us a call in advance if you have any special accessibility needs.

- in fact, I recommend the "Tostadas Vegetarianas"

If you like Indian food (yum) I can't rate Kalpana highly enough, everything I've had from there (including lovely deserts and strange 'sweet lassi' drinks) has been marvelous.

Quote:
KALPANA RESTAURANT,
2-3-St. Patric/2 Square,
EDINBURGH, SCOTLAND.
Ph.no-(0131) 667 9890

Its about a 15 minute walk from the main street in Edinburgh

Hope you enjoy your stay!
Yossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:53 PM   #10
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Thanks, Yossarian! I love Mexican, so I'll be sure to check that place out
how do you know?

Old 04-25-2005, 06:56 PM   #11
Critch
lolzcat

Melville Gate is outside the city, south east. Look for Gilmerton on the map, then head a little further out towards Dalkeith. Coincidentally I used to have to go to Melville Gate fairly regularly when I worked in Edinburgh as my companies processing center was down there. It's the middle of nowhere, just an industrial park in quite nice surroundings. I used to get a cab out and back fairly quickly.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:01 PM   #12
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
I'd only recommend the hassle of a car if you've got to visit sites not frequented by public transport.

I find that to be most places....

If you do hire a car, remember that gasoline is $6.20 per US gallon for unleaded, and about $6.55 per US gallon for diesel. It may be cheaper in the city centre, and it is always cheaper in Glasgow, but those are ballpark figures.

Quote:
Yeah, don't bother. I mean, I love Channel 4, and BBC 1 is often good, but there isn't a lot of variety. You should be spending your free time in pubs, anyway.

We also have channel 5, which has Sunday Night Baseball and one NBA game per week. If you get Sky Sports in your hotel room you may see a few more NBA games. All the other MLB games are on a channel called NASN, which I am sure your hotel will not get.

Quote:
Sundays continue to be a challenge, but not as much as in Ireland. If you've already been to Ireland you're familiar with the basic climate.

Most shops and businesses are open on Sundays, but expect shorter opening hours.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:10 PM   #13
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
You'll be fine - most people in the UK are pretty friendly and if greeted with a smile will react happily (same for all countries pretty much imho).

I think the Bermuda shorts would probably help make people smile at the moment actually, weather in England isn't the warmest at the moment so its probably even chillier in Scotland (although be warned weather in the UK is predicted in 15 minute segments and changes more often than my wife changes her mind (yeah she's sleeping, wouldn't be brave enough to say that otherwise )).

Quote:
If its a half-decent hotel then it'll probably have Sky available and even presuming they're tight and haven't got the full package you'd have 20 odd chanels to choose between.

Most pubs will show soccer matches live in Scotland (if you like that sort of thing) - although you might want to check out who the 'local' support is going for before cheering any goals

Quote:
If you're in anyway squeemish(sp?) check out what the local food is made of before eating it (ie. black pudding etc.) ... tastes lovely, but some of the ingredients are ... well you might not have expected them to taste nice if you'd known of them before you eat.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:05 PM   #14
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I'm pretty game for anything food-wise...I think I had blood pudding for breakfast in Ireland. I actually look forward to the possibility of trying haggis

Now...I HATE curry...so Indian food doesn't seem to be an option.

Oh, and I would LOVE to watch football live in Scotland. I'm a big fan of sports bars, so it's great to know I'll be in town on the weekend to watch the matches live like everyone else
how do you know?

Old 04-25-2005, 10:06 PM   #15
JeeberD
General Manager

How does an individual hate curry? It's gotta be damn close to the best stuff ever!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:27 PM   #16
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Curry. Hmm...it's right up there with chutney for me. That and black licorice (fennel). Other than that, I'll eat urchin, wild game, jellyfish, anything raw (minus the Fear Factor crap, of course).

I just can't stands me curry.
how do you know?

Old 04-25-2005, 10:29 PM   #17
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
How does an individual hate curry? It's gotta be damn close to the best stuff ever!
dola - crab "mustard" is damn close to the best stuff ever.
how do you know?

Old 04-25-2005, 11:28 PM   #18
Desnudo
Coordinator

I don't particularly care for curry either. Plus, you smell like it after you eat it.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 11:30 PM   #19
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
dola - crab "mustard" is damn close to the best stuff ever.

I'm afraid to ask...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
I don't particularly care for curry either. Plus, you smell like it after you eat it.

That's part of the charm!

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote