Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-04-2005, 02:19 PM   #1
bselig
n00b

elicense fun

I've been trying to hash this out with viatech, but so far I'm getting about one email exchange per day through, so it's taking awhile. So I figure it can't hurt to ask the fine minds collected here.

I can't run any elicense games(including FOF2k4). When I try to load them they terminate instantly. This is probably because I can't start the Liccntrl service, and this is probably because runservice.exe also terminates instantly whenever I start it. So far, the 'patch' I got from viatech hasn't done anything and the diagnostic I got from them hasn't yielded anything I didn't already know.

Any ideas? I'm running WinXP Pro SP2.

bselig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:23 PM   #2
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Does eLicense leave any errors in the event viewer?(start menu\settings\control panel\admin tools\event view, app and maybe system).

Last edited by jeff061 : 05-04-2005 at 02:25 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:29 PM   #3
bselig
n00b

Yeah, a ton. One Liccntrl error for every time I tried to run something elicense-related since the 29th, when I discovered this.

Quote:
The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( LicCtrlService ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: LicCtrlService error: 998, LoadLibrary failed..
Old 05-04-2005, 02:41 PM   #4
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Not finding anything googling. I'd recommend trying out filemon (its freeware).

Basically you run it, then do something that accesses eLicense. Filemon will monitor file access so if there is a specific file out there that eLicense depends on that is missing or corrupted it will tell you.

You need to get used to it though, since there is a lot of irrelevant crap that'll probably show up, try filtering for errors so you only see the bad stuff.

Also may want to try and run ad-aware, you never know.

Last edited by jeff061 : 05-04-2005 at 02:42 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:00 PM   #5
bselig
n00b

Cool, thanks. That's a useful program.

I've found one dll that I didn't have and was able to download it. But I also need this file called systest.sbd, and it's absolutely nowhere to be found online.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:25 PM   #6
bselig
n00b

I promise this will be the only time I bump this...In case anyone who missed it the first time has a silver bullet.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:47 PM   #7
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

systest.sdb??i googled up and came up with something off the MS knowledge database, did you see that?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 01:58 PM   #8
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

If you have your Windows XP cd - boot to it and then select the "repair" option (not the one for recovery console, but after that there will be an option for repair), that will re-install Windows without harming any data.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 01:59 PM   #9
bselig
n00b

Yeah, but it's a word document in a probably asian character set(one I don't have).

Also looking for icmmfu.dll. But to be honest, I doubt finding these files will make it work, I'm hoping there's some magical, easy solution someone has(which doesn't involve a format).
Old 05-05-2005, 02:02 PM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bselig
Yeah, but it's a word document in a probably asian character set(one I don't have).

Also looking for icmmfu.dll. But to be honest, I doubt finding these files will make it work, I'm hoping there's some magical, easy solution someone has(which doesn't involve a format).

Look at my post above.. that "repair" does NOT involve a format and will fix any Windows file issues.

Todd
Old 05-05-2005, 02:02 PM   #11
bselig
n00b

Cool, I'll see if I can dig up my XP Cd. Thanks
Old 05-05-2005, 02:03 PM   #12
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Have they ever loaded for you? If they worked at one point, then all of a sudden stopped, that points to damaged files, damaged registry entries, or a change in permissions on the files and/or registry keys.

I'd also check for the usual suspects like spyware and/or viruses. They cause all sorts of strange problems to appear. If you are only using one spyware detection tool, you might want to try a couple of others, and for the virus checker, make sure the signature file is up to date.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 02:03 PM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Np.. make sure you do the repair and NOT the recovery console. It's almost like you're installing windows again, but it will find your current OS and ask if you would like to repair it.

Todd