Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-09-2005, 10:06 AM   #1
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

OT: New version EHM Gold Demo Thoughts

Is this even worth playing?

Are the same annoyances from the original version still in there?

Overall impressions?

Thanks!
~rpi-fan

RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:10 AM   #2
riz
SI Games

I'm biased so I'll shut up and let other people comment on this. There have been quite a few threads on the new game about and a lot of impressions and feedback on them.

What did you find particularly annoying in the original ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Is this even worth playing?

Are the same annoyances from the original version still in there?

Overall impressions?

Thanks!
~rpi-fan
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:13 AM   #3
Bee
Pro Starter

I didn't play the original version, but from some of the posts here it looks like many of the complaints about the previous version have been addressed.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:21 AM   #4
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riz
I'm biased so I'll shut up and let other people comment on this. There have been quite a few threads on the new game about and a lot of impressions and feedback on them.

What did you find particularly annoying in the original ?

I didn't get very far in it, but the biggest thing was that the tactics assignments get stored to the position and not the player.

Additionally, there were major problems with the offseason manuevers and free agency.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:24 AM   #5
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I didn't get very far in it, but the biggest thing was that the tactics assignments get stored to the position and not the player.
That one seems to have been fixed.

My major annoyance with the game has been that there is no way to sim ahead weeks or months at a time without using the "vacation" option, which essentially takes away your control of the team. There was no equivalent to OOTP's feature where you could sim ahead, but choose to be notified of in-game events such as injuries or trade offers. As far as I can tell, this issue remains in the new version (which is a biggie for me, but will probably not even be noticed by those who like to spend more time on day-to-day details, so you mileage may vary).
Old 05-09-2005, 10:25 AM   #6
Bee
Pro Starter

I believe the tactics assignment was fixed. I believe you can now either assign tactics to the position or the player (your choice).
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:26 AM   #7
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
That one seems to have been fixed.

My major annoyance with the game has been that there is no way to sim ahead weeks or months at a time without using the "vacation" option, which essentially takes away your control of the team. There was no equivalent to OOTP's feature where you could sim ahead, but choose to be notified of in-game events such as injuries or trade offers. As far as I can tell, this issue remains in the new version (which is a biggie for me, but will probably not even be noticed by those who like to spend more time on day-to-day details, so you mileage may vary).

Cool, thanks for the post.

CM/FM never had any kind of option like you're suggesting for vacation mode, so I doubt that it will go into EHM. It seems like with the whole "game universe" they really don't want you to have the option to observe passively. Not saying that I agree with it, but it is what it is.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:27 AM   #8
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I believe the tactics assignment was fixed. I believe you can now either assign tactics to the position or the player (your choice).

Cool, that seems like the ideal solution.

I think, at this point, I might futz around with the game once it comes out. (If the tactics assignment 'bug' hadn't been fixed, I wouldn't have touched the game, I don't think).
Old 05-09-2005, 10:52 AM   #9
riz
SI Games

Quote:
Cool, that seems like the ideal solution.

I think, at this point, I might futz around with the game once it comes out. (If the tactics assignment 'bug' hadn't been fixed, I wouldn't have touched the game, I don't think).

The personal instructions can now be assigned on a player-by-player basis. And for each player, the settings can be stored separately for ES, PP and PK situations. You can change them all individually or you can just change them all at one go so ES, PP and PK use the same instruction. Aside from setting these personally to each player, you can lock instructions for any of the "position slots" to make them stay as they are despite which player is assigned there. So if you want your 4th line right wing always play a certain way no matter who you assign there, it can be done.

The only instruction that is still only position specific is the "shadowing option" where you assign a player to be checked specifically. This is still tied to the positional slot since it ties in with the line matching and the line matching is still...well...about lines.
riz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:25 AM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Yes, the tactics issue has been fixed and honestly, I've grown to love the demo so far. I love watching the 2d view in big games. The game is quite addictive and fun to play.

There's just a few little things I'm still trying to understand - as far as my minor league teams and some signing rules.. but so far I'm hooked!

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 11:56 AM   #11
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Riz

i will be pretty new to Hockey. wil the game manual be very detail. will it tell about minor league teams,some signing rules, free agents rule, salaries, etc.

what happens when players are unhappy, wil it affect the whole team performance or just the player perfornmance.

Tactics, what each tactics pro and cons and what kind of personal you need for them.

things like that i would love to see in the game manaul. the better the manaul, the better for newbies to get right into the game and understands how things run in the game.

thanks
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote