Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-19-2005, 11:28 AM   #1
Samdari
Roster Filler

DirecTV introduces "tiered" pricing - screws HD customers.

http://www.directvsports.com/Packages/NFLSundayTicket/

Looks like the only way to get HD games from Sunday Ticket is to pay $300 ($199 as a renewal subscriber, plus $99 for the superfan package). Since I got the HD set, and saw how bad their compression makes standard definition stuff look, Sunday Ticket has been the only thing keeping me with DirecTV. If they keep this pricing plan, I will not be getting ST, so they will likely lose me as a subscriber altogether. Seems crazy, them willing to do this, since Sunday Ticket has always been a loss leader for them.

Samdari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 01:27 PM   #2
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
http://www.directvsports.com/Packages/NFLSundayTicket/

Looks like the only way to get HD games from Sunday Ticket is to pay $300 ($199 as a renewal subscriber, plus $99 for the superfan package). Since I got the HD set, and saw how bad their compression makes standard definition stuff look, Sunday Ticket has been the only thing keeping me with DirecTV. If they keep this pricing plan, I will not be getting ST, so they will likely lose me as a subscriber altogether. Seems crazy, them willing to do this, since Sunday Ticket has always been a loss leader for them.

This completely blows. Perhaps the worst part of it is that despite my overriding urge to cancel the Sunday ticket ... I'll probably end up forking over the extra $100.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 01:34 PM   #3
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
[url] how bad their compression makes standard definition stuff look

I always thought DirecTV looked pretty good....
Old 05-19-2005, 02:00 PM   #4
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
I always thought DirecTV looked pretty good....

So did I - until I bought the 46" DLP set. Now, the standard definition looks terrible - far worse than it did on a 25" tube.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:07 PM   #5
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Thanks for the head's up. I am heading over right now to order Sunday Ticket. I don't have HD TV, so I wont go for the Super Fan pack. Just finally being able to watch the Lions play will be enough this year.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:08 PM   #6
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
So did I - until I bought the 46" DLP set. Now, the standard definition looks terrible - far worse than it did on a 25" tube.

Do you use the S-Video cable?
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:29 PM   #7
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike
Do you use the S-Video cable?

N0 - DVI, which is supposed to give the best quality. How bad DirecTV's SD stuff looks on a large screen, progressive scan native set is a common complaint at avsforum.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:32 PM   #8
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
N0 - DVI, which is supposed to give the best quality. How bad DirecTV's SD stuff looks on a large screen, progressive scan native set is a common complaint at avsforum.

I'm in the same boat. I used to watch DirectTV's SD Sunday ticket, but after having watched HD games on my 50" ... I just cannot go back to watching SD games. It's just horrendous by comparison when you blow it up beyond 30" or so.

Watching the HD Ticket last year for $200 was nice ... paying $320 for it this year ... well, I'm just not sure I want to give them the satisfaction.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:35 PM   #9
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Thanks for the head's up. I am heading over right now to order Sunday Ticket. I don't have HD TV, so I wont go for the Super Fan pack. Just finally being able to watch the Lions lose will be enough this year.

Fixed.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:37 PM   #10
rkmsuf
Head Coach

The Super Fan pack...wow some marketing genius went all out with that one.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:40 PM   #11
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't need/want any of those channels, but hey, no one is going to accuse me of not being a super fan! Here's another $100!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 02:43 PM   #12
moriarty
College Starter

One of the bonuses of the "Super Fan" pack is you can get up to 8 games on your screen at once (assuming you have a widescreen). This is kinda cool for the fantasy football junkies ... until you read the fine print:

"†† For full Game Mix functionality, an interactive receiver is required."

I have no idea what an interactive receiver is (and apparently they don't even make an HD one) ... but I'm sure that DirectTV will be willing to sell you one for another few hundred dollars.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:44 PM   #13
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Everytime I see the "Super Fan" I'm waiting for the Da Bears guys to show up.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:50 PM   #14
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Everytime I see the "Super Fan" I'm waiting for the Da Bears guys to show up.

How about the guy from the CBS "I'm a Big Fan" commercials? He should be involved in this marketing campaign.

Speaking of which, anyone seen the new Sunday Ticket commercial that's a musical, with Larry David's best friend as the lead? And Peyton Manning, Barry Sanders, Dick Butkus, and a few others singing along with him?

Kinda bizarre.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:06 PM   #15
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Hmm... $100 extra for HD is bad.

The fact that this probably won't even be rolled out in Canada for three years is worse.

But... damn, that Game Mix feature looks sweet.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:49 PM   #16
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty
One of the bonuses of the "Super Fan" pack is you can get up to 8 games on your screen at once (assuming you have a widescreen). This is kinda cool for the fantasy football junkies ... until you read the fine print:

"†† For full Game Mix functionality, an interactive receiver is required."

I have no idea what an interactive receiver is (and apparently they don't even make an HD one) ... but I'm sure that DirectTV will be willing to sell you one for another few hundred dollars.

The HD Tivo is not interactive?

Well, they have to roll out some new recievers soon, presumably by football season. When they start offering HD locals (as early as June) to the top 12 markets, those people will need new revievers to get them. I would think these would be interactive.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:42 AM   #17
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
The HD Tivo is not interactive?

Well, they have to roll out some new recievers soon, presumably by football season. When they start offering HD locals (as early as June) to the top 12 markets, those people will need new revievers to get them. I would think these would be interactive.

Not to my knowledge. Then again, I'm not entirely sure what they mean by "interactive". Looking at the AVS boards, I would say, 'No'.

I'm not sure they're going to have the new satellites up and operating by football season (and I'm pretty sure it won't happen by June). They haven't even announced what their receiver plan will be (e.g. replace your receiver for free, make you buy a new one, etc..) to my knowledge, and there's some pretty big logistics in swapping out equipment.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:45 AM   #18
Blackadar
Retired

Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 10:09 AM   #19
Buzzbee
College Starter

Blackie, that picture is wrong. He should be bent over, takin' it up th' ass.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:14 AM   #20
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
Blackie, that picture is wrong. He should be bent over, takin' it up th' ass.

I'll let you post that one.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote