Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-19-2005, 08:03 PM   #1
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

CSI Season Finale

Tarrantino should do more TV. This is good stuff.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:08 PM   #2
jbmagic
Pro Starter

how was it? can you tell it was a different style then previous episodes.

it hasnt aired yet on the west coast.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 08:27 PM   #3
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

This is brutal.

In a good way. But very, very dark stuff.

(No spoilers please, we're a half hour behind on the Tivo.)
Old 05-19-2005, 08:32 PM   #4
Ksyrup

Yes, you can tell it's Tarrantino. And the only movie of his I've seen is Pulp Fiction. But the dialogue, the use of music, the dark stuff. It's awful, but it's awesome.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-19-2005, 08:52 PM   #5
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Yes, you can tell it's Tarrantino. And the only movie of his I've seen is Pulp Fiction. But the dialogue, the use of music, the dark stuff. It's awful, but it's awesome.

you should really watch Reservoir Dogs. Its his best work, imo.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:07 PM   #6
Radii
Head Coach

That was one of the best episodes I've ever seen easily. The one that possibly, maybe creeps me out as much as this one is the one with the cable guy that stalks Nick, and the only one I can say would possibly be more of a "favorite" is the one with the furry convention... that one is just so absurd, but there are people like that, I'm mesmerized watching it.

But anyway, this was a truly great episode. Yes you could tell it was Tarrantino. The conversation between Warrick and Nick in the locker room near the beginning was classic Tarantino dialogue, and one of the scenes near the end that I won't mention for the benefit of those with tivo was very tarrantino. But, unlike some of the other recent episodes, which I believe also had guest directors, with a lot of weird camera tricks, this still held true to form to a standard CSI episode and was very easy to watch.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:31 PM   #7
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
That was one of the best episodes I've ever seen easily. The one that possibly, maybe creeps me out as much as this one is the one with the cable guy that stalks Nick, and the only one I can say would possibly be more of a "favorite" is the one with the furry convention... that one is just so absurd, but there are people like that, I'm mesmerized watching it.

But anyway, this was a truly great episode. Yes you could tell it was Tarrantino. The conversation between Warrick and Nick in the locker room near the beginning was classic Tarantino dialogue, and one of the scenes near the end that I won't mention for the benefit of those with tivo was very tarrantino. But, unlike some of the other recent episodes, which I believe also had guest directors, with a lot of weird camera tricks, this still held true to form to a standard CSI episode and was very easy to watch.

Agreed. Intense stuff. And the Warrick and Nick locker room dialogue was classic Tarantino, though to the point where it seemed forced really. It felt like Warrick was trying to be Samuel Jackson in a Tarantino flick. I didn't quite care for it, but the episode in its entirety was great stuff.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:33 PM   #8
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Yeah, it was a great episode. My wife and I really enjoyed it. You could tell it was darker than usual. I probably could have done without the scene towards the end (probably the one Radii is referring too) but other than that it was excellent. I like it in a show when I think I know what's going to happen, but I'm wrong. I was surprised a lot in this episode.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:52 PM   #9
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Radii, if you're thinking of the same scene at the end I am... did anyone else think it just seemed really out of place? It was like Tarintino had a great idea for a CSI scene, couldn't work it in, and forced it anyway.

I also didn't understand the stuff about the coffee cup. It was a cool device, but why would it matter in the original case? If there was no dispute that she was there, why would the cup matter?

Still, some fantastic, powerful scenes. The best of them was when the entire team first sees Nick via the webcam, and you see each person's reaction. From Sarah's horror to Grissom's concern to Warrick's rage... great, great scene.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:15 AM   #10
daedalus
Pro Rookie

A lot of it was good. The tension was good as mentioned.

Some of it annoyed me. Like how they could manage to FINALLY connect the guy to some of the facts and the fact that it was not coincidental . . . yet could not manage to consider that her past would figure into the puzzle. That's highly unlike the usual CSI (at least Vegas) and feels like the usual dumb-down version of police in TV shows and movies for the sake of storyline. Definitely agreed on that conversation feeling forced and lacking the usual flow.

RE: Coffee Cup . . . I think the coffee cup was supposed to place her at the scene. The connection to that and her connection to the crime was rather thin, in my opinion.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:29 AM   #11
Ksyrup

The dialogue in the locker room was definitely Tarrantino. That's what I told my wife, and she thought it was the worst part, only because it was way out of character, at least for Warrick.

They definitely let things drag, in terms of solving the case, to let the Nick thing build up. The cup was obviously placed there as a taunt, and even if you don't get a hit on any evidence on that cup, the next thing that I would have done was look for a case where a styrofoam cup factored into a conviction. It was fairly obvious that they were dealing with some sort of revenge case about 5 minutes after they arrived on the scene. In fact, when I saw the cup, I immediately thought back to a 1st year show where I think they got someone's DNA off a discarded cup. I thought it was going to relate back to an actual old episode, but I guess not.

Then the comment about horticulture was a dead giveaway. Although they tried to fit it in to the story - about that being what she did before she got locked up - it still seemed pretty obvious that it was placed there for a reason.

Also, I thought the Frank Gorshin thing was actually confusing. You see 3 old men at the table, then 5 minutes later, Grissom is dropping off $1M to an old man whose face you can't really see. My wife was like, "Wait, is that the riddler?" Never got a decent shot at his face, and since he was gone moments later, it's not like there was any reason to conceal his identity.

Still, great episode.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:00 AM   #12
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I could have done without Warrick's timer. I think there was more than enough tension without introducing the idea that they knew, down to the minute, how long he had. After all, it was based on a best estimate, having it turn out to be right (almost to the second) was a little too easy.

Re: the cup. Sure it placed her at the scene, but she was there and admitted it. Her case was that she was there but not involved, so I don't see how the cup comes into play in that case.
Old 05-20-2005, 12:57 PM   #13
KevinNU7
College Starter

Guys, this is why she only got 5 years instead of life
Old 05-23-2005, 01:20 AM   #14
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So, anyways, just finally had time to watch this over the weekend...

I guess I'm in the minority, I liked the plot but the Tarantino trappings around it were annoying at best, crap at worst. The forced conversations, dumbed down episode, all of it. It felt like an hour long episode stretched out by long dramatic pauses and grandstanding, a lot of wasted time setting up meaningless shots. Silly musical interludes for no reason other than to be quirky or that stupid dream sequence or the out of place board game scene. Lots of the out of character acting and pacing that made the episode seem like "not CSI".

I've never really been a Tarantino fan and I tried to go into this with an open mind but he just put too much of himself into this. His typical overly violent and profane style was held in check, but his "realistic" dialogue that is anything but and his pretendious attempt at dragging out scenes for that dramatic shot just does nothing for me.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 05-23-2005 at 01:48 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:28 AM   #15
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii
The one that possibly, maybe creeps me out as much as this one is the one with the cable guy that stalks Nick,

Is that the one with Jim Carrey as the Cable Guy?
Old 05-23-2005, 01:40 AM   #16
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I just watched this with my wife on TIVO, and I'm with those who thought it was a great episode. It creeped me out more than anything I've watched in a while and was quite entertaining.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:01 AM   #17
Cuckoo
College Starter

Yep, finally got around to watching this as well. I just glanced through this thread but would completely agree with those "Tarantino" scenes like the locker room talk and the manic M.E.s. They kind of stuck out.

All that said, I think this was probably up there as two of the best hours of television I've ever seen.