Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-27-2005, 08:42 PM   #1
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Best Cup of Coffee

Who makes the best coffee in the morning? Have tried Starbucks and find it overpriced/overrated. Best coffee is either Tim Horton's or Duncan Donuts, and the price beats Starbucks by a mile.

Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 08:46 PM   #2
Arctus
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm a big fan of 7-11's coffee. Tasty, convenient and reasonably priced. Although quality control is not the best so sometimes you come across a very weak batch. Since they usually have about 10 pots brewing in the morning and its self service I usually just fill up with whatever looks the darkest.
Arctus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 08:50 PM   #3
General Mike
Pro Starter

WaWa cappucinno's from those machine things are damn good.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 08:51 PM   #4
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctus
I'm a big fan of 7-11's coffee. Tasty, convenient and reasonably priced. Although quality control is not the best so sometimes you come across a very weak batch. Since they usually have about 10 pots brewing in the morning and its self service I usually just fill up with whatever looks the darkest.

7-11 is great for hot coffee. and i love the vanilla creme they have
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 08:51 PM   #5
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I cant stand Wawa coffee, its too real

I like Dunkin' Donuts the best, 7-11 is 2nd.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 08:57 PM   #6
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

coffee sucks and it smells bad too
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 09:01 PM   #7
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
coffee sucks and it smells bad too

"Buddy...you don't have to drink that!" Elf
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 09:23 PM   #8
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

actually if you do an ounce-by-ounce comparison (comparing like sized cups) the price for starbucks large (20oz) coffee at 1.89 (here in MA) is actually cheaper than Dunkin Donuts I believe. Factor in that the coffee at Starbucks is fresher, doesn't sit on a burner that is warming it from underneath (and subsequently burning it) and that the employees are 100% more pleasant at Starbucks and I think it's hard to beat. Now if you want to argue it's overrated that may be true, but then again Starbucks is more about consistentency. You want to say it's consistently average that's fine, but at least it's consistent. Especially with a DD's, you never really know what you're stepping into. I'd argue at least with Starbucks you always know more or less what you're stepping into.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 09:24 PM   #9
Masked
College Starter

Peet's
Masked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 09:26 PM   #10
jbmagic
Pro Starter

actually Coffee Bean is better than Starbucks
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 09:52 PM   #11
st.cronin
General Manager

In my town I prefer Einstein's coffee.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:07 PM   #12
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
actually if you do an ounce-by-ounce comparison (comparing like sized cups) the price for starbucks large (20oz) coffee at 1.89 (here in MA) is actually cheaper than Dunkin Donuts I believe. Factor in that the coffee at Starbucks is fresher, doesn't sit on a burner that is warming it from underneath (and subsequently burning it) and that the employees are 100% more pleasant at Starbucks and I think it's hard to beat. Now if you want to argue it's overrated that may be true, but then again Starbucks is more about consistentency. You want to say it's consistently average that's fine, but at least it's consistent. Especially with a DD's, you never really know what you're stepping into. I'd argue at least with Starbucks you always know more or less what you're stepping into.

Yes, but Starbucks doesn't have the best sandwich in the world, the croissanwich.

Peet's is my personal preference.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:09 PM   #13
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

not to send this as a SBUX back-and-forth, but FYI Starbucks has rolled out breakfast sandwiches in select test markets and the word is that they will be rolling them out to all stores sometime in the near future (and no i don't know the timeline). Word is that they're pretty damn good, Egg-Mc-Muffinish type things.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:45 PM   #14
timmae
College Starter

I've found local coffehouses that do their own roasting make a much better cup of joe than any of the franchise joints... alteraa in Milw and Intellengtsia in Chi are my personal favs. Now if starbucks went back to selling green coffee....
timmae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:55 PM   #15
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

1. My local coffee house (Mad City Coffee on Cedar Lane near Hickory Ridge Road, for any of you Columbia, MD locals) makes a GREAT cup of coffee. As timmae noted, they do roast their own beans, which helps.

2. Oddly enough, the Mobil gas station on Freetown Road (again, for the Columbia, MD locals) brews some great coffee. They use Green Mountain Coffee beans. Quite tasty.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:58 PM   #16
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
not to send this as a SBUX back-and-forth, but FYI Starbucks has rolled out breakfast sandwiches in select test markets and the word is that they will be rolling them out to all stores sometime in the near future (and no i don't know the timeline). Word is that they're pretty damn good, Egg-Mc-Muffinish type things.

This is a one way street, not a back-and-forth, because nothing is, or will ever be, better than a croissanwich.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 05:22 AM   #17
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Tim Hortons is the best, hands down. Of course, I'm pretty sure you need to be in Canada to get one. Rumor is they're expanding to the northern U.S. soon.

It's pretty frightening, I'd say that at least 33% of the people in my office tower walk into the building with a Tim Hortons coffee in hand. I walk into a Home Depot on a Saturday morning and I'd say the percentage is more like 50%. Canadians are like Zombies without their Tim Hortons coffee. Unable to function without it.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 06:22 AM   #18
3ric
College Starter

In London, UK, Caffe Nero beats Starbucks hands down by brewing an excellent cup of coffee.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:09 AM   #19
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota
Tim Hortons is the best, hands down. Of course, I'm pretty sure you need to be in Canada to get one. Rumor is they're expanding to the northern U.S. soon.

They expanded into the northern US almost 10 years ago, I think.

Tim's is actually owned by Wendy's now...you can find them all over the place in Western New York (Buffalo, Niagara Falls) and Metro Detroit.

I'm sure they're elsewhere as well, but these are the only places I've actually seen them with my own eyes.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:25 AM   #20
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmae
I've found local coffehouses that do their own roasting make a much better cup of joe than any of the franchise joints...

As Sam Jackson said....Correctomundo.

And if anyone is curious where the Lord of Coffee procures his stock...

http://www.innkeepers-coffee.com

I continue to have it shipped up to me even now that I've moved from the burg.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 09:52 AM   #21
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmae
I've found local coffehouses that do their own roasting make a much better cup of joe than any of the franchise joints... alteraa in Milw and Intellengtsia in Chi are my personal favs. Now if starbucks went back to selling green coffee....

Alterra in Milwaukee is maybe the best coffee I have ever had.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 10:56 AM   #22
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Tim Horton's coffee must have heroin in it. I can not go a day without one. I can't understand people who pay three bucks for terrible coffee at Starbucks if they have the option of a Timmy's instead.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:11 AM   #23
Simms
FOBL Commish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Tim Horton's coffee must have heroin in it. I can not go a day without one. I can't understand people who pay three bucks for terrible coffee at Starbucks if they have the option of a Timmy's instead.

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/timhortons.asp