Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-16-2005, 10:33 AM   #1
RainRaven
High School JV

XM or Sirius?

I need a new cd unit for my truck and satellite radio has interested me because I am in my truck for about 2 hours a day during the school semester. What do I need to make sure the unit has to recieve the signal and which service is better? I listen to rock mostly and sports talk radio.

RainRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:59 AM   #2
Jets80
High School Varsity

Sirius.....In the long run I think they will have much more to offer listeners. I plan on getting one in the next few months.
Jets80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:03 AM   #3
Desnudo
Coordinator

I don't listen to it, but Sirius sports talk radio has gotten some good reviews. You get ESPN Radio + Sirius NFL Radio which includes NFL game broadcasts plus famous sports personalities during the week.

I love Sirius' music selection and they have 15-20 rock-specific channels + your usual top 40 stuff, etc.. I can't compare it to XM as I haven't tried it.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I wouldn't really base my decision on the sports packages unless you drive a lot for work or are buying a satellite radio receiver for inside the house.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:49 AM   #5
SegRat
High School Varsity

I love me XM radio. IMO XM will do better than Sirius.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:50 AM   #6
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I personally have issues with Sirius because I know the guy who helped design their satellite network and I think he's an idiot (he's the person that made me punch a wall and break my hand).

That said, in terms of general programming, Sirius does seem better...I guess them almost goint belly-up scared some sense into them.

~tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:51 AM   #7
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Also with Sirius getting Stern next year it will likely get a significant number of new subscribers which will bring over even more conent.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:57 AM   #8
Anthony
Banned

i have XM and it's awesome. it's subscriber base is HUGE. Sirius' entire livelihood is based on Howard Stern being able to take a lot of his fans over to satellite radio. they're going to sink or swim with him. XM isn't going anywhere.

like ice said - don't base it on sports packages. XM not having football is it's only flaw, but i wouldn't use it that much at all if i had it. the only time i'd ever listen to a game on the radio was if i was driving a long distance on a sunday (not usually likely). AND then only if i had my friends in the car. i wouldn't listen to it by myself and not with my wife in the car. when i'm home i like to listen to music, with everything i do online during my free time i'm not able to devote the attention necessary to listen to a game. if anything i have a televised game on in the background, but i glance over only occassionally. XM has ESPNradio and other sports channels and i can't say i've even listend to them let alone put them on my presets.

my wife knew i loved Opie and Anthony so she got me the XM and i love it. XM is the EA Sports to Sirius' Sega, put it that way. more resources/revenue means better improvement of service as time goes on. Sirius is like DirecTV - it's only saving grace is the fact that they have NFL exclusively.

oh, and XM is cheaper than Sirius per month. if you want a premium channel like Opie and Anthony it's only $2 more and then it comes out to be the same price as Sirius.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 01:36 PM   #9
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

I'm in the market as well but I'm going to go XM for the MLB package so I can listen at work to ballgames.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 01:58 PM   #10
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Go with XM you wont regret it. Specially Old Time Radion.
Old 01-16-2005, 02:39 PM   #11
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

XM has daily baseball during the season, any team you want. Also has the audio portion of the cable talk shows like Fox, ect. Sirius has Howard Stern and weekly football (which you probably want to see on TV anyway.) Don't have either yet but will probably get XM in the near future.
Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 04:02 PM   #12
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

I got Sirius for X-mas. Love it.

From what I have read though, XM does have a little 'deeper' playlists on their music streams the Sirius does, but the Sirius music channels are excellent to me with the exception that they lack an all punk stream.

NFL Radio on Sirius is NOT just the games. Think of the NFL Network on the radio, in fact they even have Total Access on from the NFL Network on at night. They have gus like Shannon Sharpe, John Riggins, Dan Reese, and others that are full time co-hosts every day. It has helped me learn more about these playoff teams then I ever would have before. ESPN radio and ESPNews, along with Sports Byline too.

Many talk stations, right and left wing. And Talk Central which now has the Radio Chick, a pretty good show that starts at 10:00 am on weekdays. There is also the Discovery Channel, E! Channel, Court TV, all the news networks, OutQ (gay & lesbian channel), the Raw Dog Comedy channel is hilarious.

Tony Hawk, some Sopranos guy, Jim Bruer, and a few others I can't think of all have shows. Jim Bruer has a pretty good show on weekday evenings.

It is more then Stern, but once he does start, there will be 2-3 more channels that he will be programing, not just his show.

Can you tell I like it?
Old 01-16-2005, 05:23 PM   #13
Desnudo
Coordinator

I think you'd be happy with either one, but I'd definitely back Cringer and say that I love Sirius. I have not tried XM and I don't think you can fairly judge something without experiencing it. Neither one is going anywhere for a while.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 06:57 PM   #14
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I have sirius and am very satisfied and it looks like the people who have XM are very satisfied. I think both are obviously great alternatives to the clear channel and emiss communications and their 20 minutes of music an hour. I won't talk bad about XM as I have never used it, and I don't see anyone in the thread who has actually used both. My advice would be to try an online trial of both and see what best fits your needs.

For me it was the wide selection of stations (at least 15) that are in line with my musical tastes.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 03:50 PM   #15
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

I've used both. I borrow XM from a co-worker and a friend has Sirius. I couldn't tell you the difference between the music stations - they seem very similar. I guess it's the non-music stations that would make one swing.

Can anyone with XM tell me the easiest way to do this. I'd like to have it in the car and at my desk at work. Can I just use the 'Roady2' or whatever the hell it's called with a car kit and a home port?
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:10 PM   #16
sooner333
College Starter

If I got one (and I likely won't, just because I don't drive all that much), I would get XM because I'm a big Giants fan and I live in Oklahoma, so I can't follow them as well live. However, if I cared that much I would get the 20 package from MLB for streaming audio or buy the MLB Extra Innings or MLB.tv.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:55 PM   #17
jamesUMD
High School JV

I have Sirius and I love it. I talked to friends who had both, but the I honestly would pay the $12.95/month for the NFL network and nfl games alone. I live in a Baltimore market, but have always been a Redskins fan. I usually watch the Ravens game w/no sound and play the Redskins local broadcast on Sirius. I like the comic channels on XM better, but the NFL station is the determining factor for me.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:18 PM   #18
RainRaven
High School JV

Thanks everyone for the replies. Since most of the time I watch football as opposed to listening to the radio for it XM might be the best thing since they sound so similar otherwise. Though I will probably try out their streams on the web first to see how it is.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:06 PM   #19
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I've now had XM for about a week, and I'm enjoying it. Of course, I'm also in a 3-month free trial period, so that might have something to do with my enjoyment level.

I was looking into buying a unit and having it installed in my car after Christmas, but decided against it because of the cost and the general "pain in the ass" aspect of it all. I'm glad I didn't, because less than 6 months later, I bought a new car that comes with it. I don't have to do anything but pay for the service, and the channels/song names and everything are integrated into the in-dash system. Really, this is the only way I'll do it. When we get rid of my wife's van, we'll get it (or whatever it merges with by then); otherwise, it'll just be in my car. I don't see needing a portable unit or anything like that.

I am a bit disappointed by how easily the service is interrupted. The second I drive into my parking garage at work, it's out. OK, I guess I see that, but it's a bit annoying. However, I've completely lost the signal at a bank drive-thru, and on canopy roads - which are abundant in Tallahassee - the service goes in and out. I was not expecting the service to be so spotty in areas like that.

I'm also very disappointed that XM dropped Liquid Metal, but oh well. The baseball games are great - they give you score and inning/outs, which is handy. I've noticed that foul language can pop up at pretty much any moment, so we've had to watch it with the kids in the car. But my wife gets her 80's station, so all is well, I guess. And there's something about turning on the car and hearing Faster Pussycat's Bathroom Wall, for example, that you just can't get on regular radio. And as a bonus, my ESPN Radio actually comes in clearly.

Overall, I give it a thumbs up, even with the disappointments. I don't have a problem paying $13 a month for this service.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 02:14 PM   #20
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Overall, I give it a thumbs up, even with the disappointments. I don't have a problem paying $13 a month for this service.

XM is up to $13 a month now with Sirius?

Also, I think from what you have posted about would make you happy with either Sirius or XM. I am a solid Sirius guy already, but I have a huge love for some Sirius exclusive programs/channels like NFL Radio, The Radio Chick, Jim Bruer, and my music stations. My only gripe is no punk station like XM has.

Glad you enjoy satellite radio though, it is indeed very addictive IMO.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:21 PM   #21
Ksyrup

I'll trade you XM's punk station for Sirius' metal station!

Well, I had no choice - Acura only comes with XM, but I was probably going to choose XM anyway. I figure the only time I won't be sitting in front of the TV for the NFL is when I'll be driving back from Jacksonville from visiting relatives, but that will be in the wife's van, so I'll probably get more out of the MLB coverage than football in my car.

XM is now $12.95. A whopping $.04 break on Sirius. I think they raised it within the past several months.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-06-2005 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:39 PM   #22
Samdari
Roster Filler

Ksyrup - with both services, you can expect to get no satellite signal at all unless you have a clear sky directly overhead. Their plan to make up for this is terrestrial repeaters in large population areas. If you don't live in range of a repeater, you are SOL.

I am with Cringer on Sirius. I also am not in the car that much for actual NFL games, but the NFL network is so addictive. Mostly 24 hours a day of giving opinions on all things NFL that are no more informed or likely to be true than your average bar conversation, but during the season and in the offseason up through a week or so after the draft, I could not get enough of it.

Hate Stern though, and although Tony K is local, I wish he had gone with Sirius instead of XM for those rare workdays I am driving out of town.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:39 PM   #23
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
I'll trade you XM's punk station for Sirius' metal station!

Well, I had no choice - Acura only comes with XM, but I was probably going to choose XM anyway. I figure the only time I won't be sitting in front of the TV for the NFL is when I'll be driving back from Jacksonville from visiting relatives, but that will be in the wife's van, so I'll probably get more out of the MLB coverage than football in my car.

XM is now $12.95. A whopping $.04 break on Sirius. I think they raised it within the past several months.

I think I would make that trade. Although I still do get some punk between Faction (mix of 'punk'/rock/rap), Left of Center (college radio clone), and UnderGroundGarage (garage band music from 60's- to now). Just not as much as I would like.

And NFL radio is not just games. They play the games but none are actually played on the NFL Radio channel, they use other channels. NFL Radio is basically sports talk (ESPN/FOX/SPortingNews radio) that is only about the NFL. 4 shows from 8 est. to 7 est., then NFL Network audio of their main show from 7-8 PM. They replay the 12 hours of programing from 8 pm-8 am, which I love because that is when I drive. It is a great channel.

I would like some baseball games though...
Old 06-06-2005, 02:42 PM   #24
Ksyrup

XM does something similar for the MLB - channel 175 is non-stop baseball coverage, even when no games are on.

Honestly, I hope what happens is that the 2 companies merge. I'd rather pay $20 for all of this content than pay $13 to pick the best of two incomplete choices. And with my new car, I really didn't get a choice anyway.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:04 PM   #25
timmynausea
College Starter

Are they any downsides to getting the lifetime subscription to Sirius? I've been thinking about doing it. The offer ends June 30.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 03:07 PM   #26
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmynausea
Are they any downsides to getting the lifetime subscription to Sirius? I've been thinking about doing it. The offer ends June 30.

Yes. It is a contract for the lifetime of the equipment not your service. So if any new technology is developed you won't want to hear about it. Somebody told me that there is a $ way to get new equipment and still keep the lifetime contract, but it is definitely not free.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:15 PM   #27
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
Yes. It is a contract for the lifetime of the equipment not your service. So if any new technology is developed you won't want to hear about it. Somebody told me that there is a $ way to get new equipment and still keep the lifetime contract, but it is definitely not free.

Anyone have any idea what the average lifetime of one of these radios is? I mostly wanted to get this for my brother cause he's a huge Stern fan.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:19 PM   #28
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Anyone have any idea what the average lifetime of one of these radios is? I mostly wanted to get this for my brother cause he's a huge Stern fan.

I don't think you have to worry about the radio going bad that much, you would be more concerned about how quickly the satelittle radio industry is making advances in technology. Right now XM (and I believe Sirius this summer) has handheld radios with the ability to record and if you compare a new unit with one from a few years ago the difference is significant.

But then again I have a cassette/CD player in my car from about 10 years ago and it still does the trick. I just realize what advances have been made anytime I get in someone elses car. What does the lifetime run nowadays anyways? I would divide that by 13 and look at how many months you are really buying.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:20 PM   #29
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
I don't think you have to worry about the radio going bad that much, you would be more concerned about how quickly the satelittle radio industry is making advances in technology. Right now XM (and I believe Sirius this summer) has handheld radios with the ability to record and if you compare a new unit with one from a few years ago the difference is significant.

But then again I have a cassette/CD player in my car from about 10 years ago and it still does the trick. I just realize what advances have been made anytime I get in someone elses car. What does the lifetime run nowadays anyways? I would divide that by 13 and look at how many months you are really buying.

It's $499.99.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:27 PM   #30
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
It's $499.99.

So that is over 3 years of service, around 38 months. Anything over that and you are getting a discount.....
Old 06-06-2005, 06:20 PM   #31
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Ksyrup - with both services, you can expect to get no satellite signal at all unless you have a clear sky directly overhead. Their plan to make up for this is terrestrial repeaters in large population areas. If you don't live in range of a repeater, you are SOL.

I am with Cringer on Sirius. I also am not in the car that much for actual NFL games, but the NFL network is so addictive. Mostly 24 hours a day of giving opinions on all things NFL that are no more informed or likely to be true than your average bar conversation, but during the season and in the offseason up through a week or so after the draft, I could not get enough of it.

Hate Stern though, and although Tony K is local, I wish he had gone with Sirius instead of XM for those rare workdays I am driving out of town.

I used to have XM about a year and a half ago, when I had a longer car commute.

Now I work in center city Philadelphia and am longing to get something for my desk at work. I'd love to get XM radio, but I'm not near a window. I am on the 24th floor , but I don't think that would help me that much.

Does anyone else here have any success using it indoors, and NOT near a window
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:34 PM   #32
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
I used to have XM about a year and a half ago, when I had a longer car commute.

Now I work in center city Philadelphia and am longing to get something for my desk at work. I'd love to get XM radio, but I'm not near a window. I am on the 24th floor , but I don't think that would help me that much.

Does anyone else here have any success using it indoors, and NOT near a window

Are you able to use a computer to listen at work? With Sirius you can listen over the web to everything station with their service, I always assumed XM would be the same way.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:42 PM   #33
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
Are you able to use a computer to listen at work? With Sirius you can listen over the web to everything station with their service, I always assumed XM would be the same way.

I've thought of that , but I don't feel like taking up the bandwidth for it (Just started 2 weeks ago, 1700+ employees in the building). I know its a really really small amount of space, but I don't want to cause any meetings already!

Anyone have any luck getting it to work without a window?
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 08:02 AM   #34
Samdari
Roster Filler

Actually, I am near a window at work and still can't get reception at all. Since, listening at work was one of my main reasons for getting the service, this was quite a disappointment.

And I think that with Sirius, you can only listen to their proprietary music channels over the internet. Some of their talk channels are direct rebroadcasts (ESPN, CNN) or play some syndicated content as part of their programming, and they don't have internet broadcast rights to any of it.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:45 AM   #35
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
Anyone have any luck getting it to work without a window?

My XM works in my basement.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote