Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-09-2005, 02:42 PM   #1
wildcat000
n00b

Arena Bowl 19

Anybody watching it? I defiently am, John Elway's Colorado Crush, take on Geogria Force, coached by Doug Plank. NBC 3 EST. Thoughts?

wildcat000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:43 PM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Say hi to the other 27 people watching.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:44 PM   #3
wildcat000
n00b

Actually, last week's contests drew over 2 Million combined. Arena Bowl is Sunday BTW.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:45 PM   #4
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I tried to watch it but it impresses me as just silly.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:48 PM   #5
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Who's Elways Colorado Crush? Buccaneer?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:12 PM   #6
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

I am going to watch it with no pants on and a heaping Vat of Coleslaw.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:14 PM   #7
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd
I am going to watch it with no pants on and a heaping Vat of Coleslaw.

No loose, crazed gibbons this time as well? What AreanBowl 18 was too much for you?
Old 06-09-2005, 03:16 PM   #8
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Its football. That is all that I need to hear. I will be watching.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:19 PM   #9
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
No loose, crazed gibbons this time as well? What AreanBowl 18 was too much for you?
Me, Two Gibbons, a vat of coleslaw, and since I can't stand the announcers, I blare some Patrick Swayze albums, and I am all set for the Arena Bowl.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:19 PM   #10
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkelly52
Its football. That is all that I need to hear. I will be watching.

A few more million guys like you and the XFL might still be on NBC.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:21 PM   #11
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I got ticked off when the Carolina Cobras left Raleigh, and watching the games live I realised just how bad the officiating in the league is. I occasionally watch a Storm or Predators game, but since both are out, I'm not likely to watch this one much.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:21 PM   #12
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Me, Two Gibbons, a vat of coleslaw, and since I can't stand the announcers, I blare some Patrick Swayze albums, and I am all set for the Arena Bowl.

I hired a guy to come over and do a kick ass John Elway impersonation, complete with big teeth, throughout the entire game.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:22 PM   #13
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
I got ticked off when the Carolina Cobras left Raleigh, and watching the games live I realised just how bad the officiating in the league is. I occasionally watch a Storm or Predators game, but since both are out, I'm not likely to watch this one much.

You are the first person I've ever heard complain about Arean League officiating. I guess that's something.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:24 PM   #14
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
You are the first person I've ever heard complain about Arean League officiating. I guess that's something.
DAMN ARENA LEAGUE FOOTBALL REFS, ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUS.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:24 PM   #15
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
DAMN ARENA LEAGUE FOOTBALL REFS, ABSOLUTELY HORRENDOUS.

and you are the second. congratulations.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:26 PM   #16
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
and you are the second. congratulations.
Do I win anything?
Old 06-09-2005, 03:28 PM   #17
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Do I win anything?

Yes you win an exclusive after party with the John Elway cheerleaders who have huge teeth and manly features.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:29 PM   #18
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Hey, when your home team loses out on a playoff berth because the ref can't see the defender get PLOWED over from behind trying to pick off a ball in the endzone, you lose a lot of respect for the officiating. Basically, they had officials that couldn't hack it in the NFL or college. It was funny, though, that the officiating always got better when the game was being televised on TNT (back when they carried the game). It's like they had one good crew they'd trot out for a national game, and blow off the others.

And yes, I was an Arena Football fan. I had season tickets for all three seasons the Cobras were here.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:29 PM   #19
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

I'll take whats in the box, THE BOX, THE BOX!
Old 06-09-2005, 03:31 PM   #20
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Hey, when your home team loses out on a playoff berth because the ref can't see the defender get PLOWED over from behind trying to pick off a ball in the endzone, you lose a lot of respect for the officiating. Basically, they had officials that couldn't hack it in the NFL or college. It was funny, though, that the officiating always got better when the game was being televised on TNT (back when they carried the game). It's like they had one good crew they'd trot out for a national game, and blow off the others.

And yes, I was an Arena Football fan. I had season tickets for all three seasons the Cobras were here.

Right but I didn't even know they HAD officials.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:34 PM   #21
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Right but I didn't even know they HAD officials.

I'm just shocked and amazed that this crowd doesn't like Arena Football. Have you ever SEEN the Snake Charmers? Sheesh, they're practically giving lap dances on the field...
Old 06-09-2005, 03:35 PM   #22
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
I'm just shocked and amazed that this crowd doesn't like Arena Football. Have you ever SEEN the Snake Charmers? Sheesh, they're practically giving lap dances on the field...

Oh that's a great aspect but the NBC coverage is whoaful in this regard. I get 98% football and 2% lap dance.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:59 PM   #23
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

AFL just doesnt cling on to me.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:47 PM   #24
weinstein7
High School JV

19?

Arena Bowl 19?!?!?

What year is this? Where have I been?
weinstein7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:25 PM   #25
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm very disappointed that the VooDoo didn't make the playoffs (then again, they didn't really deserve it this year), but I'll try to make time to watch the ArenaBowl this year. I saw both the Force and the Crush live when they visited New Orleans, and they're both very strong teams. Georgia is strong all around, but I really don't know if they can stop Damian Harrell. If they lock up the other two receivers, they can win this thing, but I don't see it happening. I predict a Colorado win, 54-49.

As an aside, even though John Elway is my all-time favorite football player, wouldn't it be funny if his team got to the ArenaBowl a bunch of times and kept losing? Would he get Broncos flashbacks?
Old 06-09-2005, 06:42 PM   #26
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I've really tried to like it... but i don't. It's like non-alcoholic beer.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:44 PM   #27
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

It's not for everybody, but neither is the NFL. I hope for a good game, but I don't really care who wins (much like most Super Bowls).
Old 06-09-2005, 08:47 PM   #28
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
It's not for everybody, but neither is the NFL. I hope for a good game, but I don't really care who wins (much like most Super Bowls).

Yeah... in my heart of hearts i want to be a fan, because i love football so much. It just hasn't worked for me.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 09:40 PM   #29
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinstein7
19?

Arena Bowl 19?!?!?

What year is this? Where have I been?

This was my feeling. Living in Atlanta there is a fair amount of buzz about the Georgia Force, but up until they came to Atlanta the Arena League was a non-factor in my life. I've never been to a game, and have probably seen all of about 5 minutes on TV. Yet I was absolutely shocked to hear that this is Arena Bowl 19. Unless my math is off, I think that means the arena league has been around since the 80's. My question is...how? How does a professional football league (albeit a very different kind of football) exist for 19 years and fly under the radar as much as this one has? Or has it just flown under my radar since there weren't any teams around?
Old 06-09-2005, 09:53 PM   #30
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzbee
This was my feeling. Living in Atlanta there is a fair amount of buzz about the Georgia Force, but up until they came to Atlanta the Arena League was a non-factor in my life. I've never been to a game, and have probably seen all of about 5 minutes on TV. Yet I was absolutely shocked to hear that this is Arena Bowl 19. Unless my math is off, I think that means the arena league has been around since the 80's. My question is...how? How does a professional football league (albeit a very different kind of football) exist for 19 years and fly under the radar as much as this one has? Or has it just flown under my radar since there weren't any teams around?

I saw my first game in Tampa when I was in college around '88 or '89 or so. The league was small enough that it was not on TV much, getting the ArenaBowl on ESPN after a few years. TNT started televising nationally a few years ago, and now NBC has just started picking it up.

They survived by being economically realistic: low salaries for players, low ticket prices for fans (lower-level endzone season tickets were about $15/game for me), and fan-friendly rules that put people in the seats.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:15 PM   #31
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Wait... there is buzz in Atlanta for the Georgia Force? How come I'm not privy to such buzz! I demand buzz! It's because I live in Decatur, isn't it?
Old 06-09-2005, 10:16 PM   #32
Easy Mac

By buzz, they mean generating a bigger interest than that in Braves baseball, which means about all of 7 people in the Atlanta area know of it.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:22 PM   #33
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Oh, I can assure you that many people in Atlanta are interested in the Braves now that they are sucking. Who would have thought that years of fan apathy would have resulted in eventual falling?
Old 06-09-2005, 10:30 PM   #34
Easy Mac

I'd think years of dodging massive injuries to every player would result in eventual failure. I'd have to say, this is one of the more intriguing team "we've" had in years. I'm really excited about the new blood. Think of a potential line-up (from home, 3b-1b, of) of Estrada, Marte, Betamit, Giles, LaRoche, Johnson, Jones, Langerhans. Thats an exciting young team with no one over 30. I love Chipper as much as the next heterosexual male, and Johnson or Marte have to prove they can hit major league pitching, but I'm at least hopeful for the future... and lets not forget Kyle freakin Davies, that kid is a damn fine pitcher.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:35 PM   #35
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

ArenaBowlArenaBowlArenaBowl
Old 06-09-2005, 10:57 PM   #36
wildcat000
n00b

A lot of you should give it a chance. Its very exciting, hard hitting, all that action stuff. And your exactly right, the Arena league survives because they don't have overpaid babies, the highest salary is Philly Soul QB Tony Grazianni, and he makes 235,000 a year.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:16 PM   #37
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Some people find the game to have too much action, and I can see why. It's not that there's no defense to the game, but the defense has so many restrictions on it that it's just passpasspasstouchdown, and a lot of people are put off by that. Personally, I love it, but it's just too gimmicky for a lot of people. I think more people would enjoy it if they had a team near them and went to some live games, but there are so many places without the game. I'll be moving to the Pittsburgh area in a couple of months, and there are no AFL or AF2 teams anywhere nearby. I believe Columbus is the closest team to Pittsburgh, and they suck anyway.

With that said, if you enjoy football and do have an AFL or AF2 team nearby, I highly recommend actually going to a couple of games and seeing if the atmosphere raises your enjoyment of the game at all. There are smaller indoor football leagues all over the country (including one with a team in Johnstown, PA, which will be about 40 miles from my new home), but it's not exactly Arena Football because the AFL has a patent on the nets. Everything else should be the same, though.

Indoor football is at least an interesting game worth checking out once or twice. If you don't like it, that's cool, but I recommend giving it a shot.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:40 AM   #38
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I first saw games on ESPN2 when I was in Tech School for the Airforce. That was back in 93. So it has had national TV coverage for 13 years. Plus everyone was talking about how Kurt Warner came out of the Arena league during his MVP season. That doesn't seam particuarly under the radar.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 01:23 AM   #39
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Quote:
Some people find the game to have too much action, and I can see why. It's not that there's no defense to the game, but the defense has so many restrictions on it that it's just passpasspasstouchdown, and a lot of people are put off by that. Personally, I love it, but it's just too gimmicky for a lot of people. I think more people would enjoy it if they had a team near them and went to some live games, but there are so many places without the game. I'll be moving to the Pittsburgh area in a couple of months, and there are no AFL or AF2 teams anywhere nearby. I believe Columbus is the closest team to Pittsburgh, and they suck anyway.

With that said, if you enjoy football and do have an AFL or AF2 team nearby, I highly recommend actually going to a couple of games and seeing if the atmosphere raises your enjoyment of the game at all. There are smaller indoor football leagues all over the country (including one with a team in Johnstown, PA, which will be about 40 miles from my new home), but it's not exactly Arena Football because the AFL has a patent on the nets. Everything else should be the same, though.

Indoor football is at least an interesting game worth checking out once or twice. If you don't like it, that's cool, but I recommend giving it a shot.
I think that's what will get me hooked with AFL. Just seeing an AFL game in person and soak it all in. Too bad the Gladiators dont really get much press around here, and when they do its usually 1 day before and after the game.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:13 AM   #40
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
I'd think years of dodging massive injuries to every player would result in eventual failure. I'd have to say, this is one of the more intriguing team "we've" had in years. I'm really excited about the new blood. Think of a potential line-up (from home, 3b-1b, of) of Estrada, Marte, Betamit, Giles, LaRoche, Johnson, Jones, Langerhans. Thats an exciting young team with no one over 30. I love Chipper as much as the next heterosexual male, and Johnson or Marte have to prove they can hit major league pitching, but I'm at least hopeful for the future... and lets not forget Kyle freakin Davies, that kid is a damn fine pitcher.

And let's not forget that there have been plenty of examples of players with a lot of promise early in their careers who just didn't pan out, either as a result of injuries or other teams figuring out their weakenesses. Hell, Todd Hollandsworth was a Rookie of the Year once.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:55 AM   #41
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
I've really tried to like it... but i don't. It's like non-alcoholic beer.

excellent... new signature.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 04:46 PM   #42
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

18 seconds and Georgia just tied it up.....nice TD pass and catch.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:48 PM   #43
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

37 yard pass, 1st and goal for Colorado. damn, crazy ending here. 12 seconds
Old 06-12-2005, 04:50 PM   #44
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

FG wins it for Elways Colorado Crush
Old 06-12-2005, 04:53 PM   #45
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

And Aaron's Rent-To-Own couldn't be happier....
Old 06-12-2005, 04:54 PM   #46
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

The AFL was totally under the radar for over a decade. The league was on ESPN at midnight or later. No one really knew about it, it had a niche fan base. Yet, the league has hung on and became the flavour of the week for NFL owners looking for another way to make some quick cash.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:02 PM   #47
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I missed the game because the wife wanted to go shopping at Target. Sounds like it was an exciting game, though, and now the Crush has an ArenaBowl championship in only its third year of existence. I wasn't too far off on the final score, either. Maybe I should handicap the AFL for a living.

A major reason that the AFL has been able to survive for so long is that it doesn't try to compete with the NFL. The USFL was surviving 20 years ago until it tried to compete directly with the NFL. The XFL could have survived if they'd dropped some of the gimmicky presentation and just played football, but they tried to market it as the "anti-NFL" in some ways, and it just collapsed under itself.

The AFL doesn't claim any comparison at all to the NFL, and that's probably why it's been able to attract a few NFL team owners. Yes, it's the same basic game, but it's been changed in enough ways to make it completely different. In addition, they play in smaller arenas, they pay smaller salaries, and they bring in the kinds of players who have learned to absolutely excel at this type of football. The AFL also tries to make the fans a part of the game. Yeah, it's a little goofy to have fans compete in a "touchdown dance" contest on the field during a TV timeout, but what's the harm in having some fun out there? If you catch a ball that goes into the stands, you get to keep it. I'm silly, sure, but I'm very happy to have gotten my hands on an official AFL game ball during a game. The fans get to go down on the field after every game and meet the players and cheerleaders. My favorite New Orleans VooDoo player signed my football for me. He'll never play in the NFL, and he's not even a star in the AFL, but it was fun for me, and he seemed very glad to hear that he was someone's favorite player.

When New Orleans lost its ECHL hockey team a few years ago, I was terribly disappointed. I still miss going to live hockey games, and I'm itching to see some live hockey once I get up to Pennsylvania later this year, but I really think I'm going to miss live Arena Football just as much. It's not for everybody, but there's really nothing else like it. It's dedicated owners, coaches, and fans like myself who have kept the league alive for 19 years. I probably won't see another live game for a few years, but I hope the league gets stronger and earns an even larger fan base. It deserves it.

Now, after all of that sentimental junk, I present you with my favorite memory of Arena Football in New Orleans:

She was my favorite one, OK?
Old 06-12-2005, 08:16 PM   #48
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
If you catch a ball that goes into the stands, you get to keep it.

During Cobras' games, they made sure to point out that if a PLAYER goes into the stands, you don't get to keep him (happened a couple of times...)

Quote:
I'm silly, sure, but I'm very happy to have gotten my hands on an official AFL game ball during a game.

During the inaugural season of the Cobras, I won a football autographed by the entire team. Still got that on my shelf. Of course, I also ponied up $200 for a Corey Johnson jersey after their second season, and he was gone to Buffalo the next year. One of the things that drove me nuts about our team (as soon as the fans got behind a player, he was gone to someone else). I was really disappointed I missed out on the Mario Grier jersey in the inaugural season...

But if anyone wants a game-worn signed Carolina Cobras visiting jersey for Corey Johnson (#27), let me know. One of these days it's going up on E-bay...
Old 06-12-2005, 08:19 PM   #49
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
During Cobras' games, they made sure to point out that if a PLAYER goes into the stands, you don't get to keep him (happened a couple of times...)

Yeah, they do that here at VooDoo games, too. It's pretty funny.