Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-25-2003, 07:02 AM   #1
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Question about supporting the troops

I've seen and heard a lot of "I support the troops but I don't support the war". Can someone please explain this to me? What do you consider supporting the troops, and how exactly are you supporting them?

This is an honest question, not an attempt at a flame war. Thanks.

CamEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 07:07 AM   #2
Easy Mac

I support them doing what they feel thay have to do, and I wish them nothing but the best and a safe return. I don't support the reason they are over there, but I support anyone who feels their cause is worthy and their feeling of their need to protect me. For that I am grateful.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 07:25 AM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Easy Mac
I support them doing what they feel thay have to do, and I wish them nothing but the best and a safe return. I don't support the reason they are over there, but I support anyone who feels their cause is worthy and their feeling of their need to protect me. For that I am grateful.

Exactly. Well said. I could say more but I think it would be just repeating what my man Easy Mac said using different words.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 07:26 AM   #4
Easy Mac

I actually thought I worded it pretty poorly and confusingly.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 07:26 AM   #5
Bee
Pro Starter

I haven't made the statement because it doesn't quite fit my view, but I am close enough that I'll comment. I think you'll get different responses from every person because the statement means something different to everyone. To me, it means you don't agree with the necessity of the war, but you still hope that our troops win quickly and with minimum casualties because they are our troops.

I think everyone shows that support in a different way. I've donated blood to the Red Cross and I've volunteered to put together care packages for our troops. Others I know are praying for their safety and doing other things as well. Just because you question the validity of the action doesn't mean you care less about those who must carry out that action.

For me, I know the decision has been made and at this point I will support the war effort but that doesn't mean I still don't question the validity of what we are doing.

Edit: I'm sure some people would ask me how I can support a war action that I don't agree with the reasons behind 100%. I'll go ahead and answer that by saying the US has made the decision to go ahead with this war and I love my country. While I don't necessarily agree 100% with the reasons, I don't completely disagree with the action either. There are good and bad things about this war (things are seldom black and white in my book). Because of all of that I will support the actions of my country because I think she needs my support in times of trouble.

Last edited by Bee : 03-25-2003 at 07:34 AM.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 07:26 AM   #6
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

My position is simply this. I support the troops and always will. I was one, and my brother is one currently over there. Troops merely follow orders. These things are hard to grasp for a civilian because they have trouble understanding that.

What I do not support is the consequences and ramifications of this action. It has nothing to do with the troops.

It is quite possible to support the troops and not support the cause and effect.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:31 AM   #7
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Bee (and others),

I applaud you for not just saying you support our troops, but for showing your support.

There's been so much rhetoric on both sides of this war, it's nice to see what is unquestionable patriotism being shown by those who don't agree with why we're over there.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:03 AM   #8
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I wonder how many of the "I support the troops" people will melt away when gruesome parts of war spill into their livingrooms.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:23 AM   #9
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz
I wonder how many of the "I support the troops" people will melt away when gruesome parts of war spill into their livingrooms.

I don't quite follow you here. Melt away? Meaning that when "support the troops" people see what the troops they support do that all of a suddent they will no longer support the troops?

Given what has already (treatment of POWs, reports of news casts of Iraqi soldiers smiling while standing over dead troops) begun to spill into our livings, I think it would likely harden the resolve for those who "support the troops."

War is gruesome. I think people have a decent appreciation for that. If not, they certainly will.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2003, 08:24 AM   #10
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Fritz

I think you'll see people from both sides melt away. A lot of people who support the war do so because they don't expect high casualties. If we start seeing a stream of body bags coming back from Iraq, support all around will start to drop dramatically IMO.

Edit: I am talking about support for the war, not support for the troops. I don't think support for the troops will decline because I think we've learned our lesson with the Vietnam War.

Last edited by Bee : 03-25-2003 at 08:26 AM.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote