Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2003, 07:07 PM   #1
Calis
College Starter

Becks to Spain?

Beckham to Real Madrid?

Thought we were in need of another Euro footie rumor to discuss, I just picked one source, this has been blasted all over for a while now. It has been denied by Becks, but I'm curious to see if people think this is a possibility? I know Beckham had said he might leave depending on who replaces Ferguson, but he always sounded like he would want to stay in England.

I personally don't think it's true, I just can't buy it, but the way Real Madrid throws around money, you never can tell.

P.S. I went ahead and signed up for Digital Cable to get Fox Sports World, and I have spent most of the day watching games and news, I'm in heaven here. I think this might be a purchase I'll enjoy.

edit- sigh, I hoped I could remove the erroneous smiley from the message title, I guess not. It just bugged me that it was there, twas an accident.

Last edited by Calis : 03-27-2003 at 07:14 PM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 07:14 PM   #2
Havok
College Starter

i know nothing about Soccer. Is that guy good??
Old 03-27-2003, 07:16 PM   #3
Calis
College Starter

Yeah, he's probably the most "celebrated" soccer figure in Europe, at least I think he is, anyone actually FROM there feel free to correct me.

He's just a great free kick taker and crosser, I'd say he's one of the better players in the world for sure.

edit: forgot the most important part, he's married to Posh Spice! Now that's class!

Last edited by Calis : 03-27-2003 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:19 PM   #4
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

And isn't he married to a Spice Girl!?
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 07:24 PM   #5
Calis
College Starter

Beat ya by a minute.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:29 PM   #6
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

married to posh spice.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 07:41 PM   #7
CAsterling
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by Calis
Yeah, he's probably the most "celebrated" soccer figure in Europe, at least I think he is, anyone actually FROM there feel free to correct me.

He's just a great free kick taker and crosser, I'd say he's one of the better players in the world for sure.

An over-rated player, who is better known for his image these days than his skills - just like Gazza was.
There are better players already in the Real Madrid side, and I think Ryan Giggs or Paul Scholes are better Man Utd players.

I personally can't see why Real would want him, but maybe I'm just a tad biased - my favourite Backham moment, Posh Spice announcing is a national interview that her Husband likes wearing her underwear and parading in front of mirrors with it on
CAsterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 07:44 PM   #8
Havok
College Starter

LOL!!!

i'd fucking kill my wife if she told a news paper that i wear her underwear!!!

Thats our little secret
Old 03-27-2003, 07:54 PM   #9
Calis
College Starter

Well maybe I should clarify a bit. I stand firmly behind him being one of the best free kick takers in the world, and I think it's beautiful to see him cross the ball.

I will freely admit he's an overrated player, and I also agree that Giggs would do more good for Real. I definitely don't think Beckham would be a hindrance to the team though, and the comment about his image being more than his skill now, well that counts for a lot. Beckham would rake in a lot of fans, and even more coverage for the team in general.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:55 PM   #10
tucker342
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Havok
LOL!!!

i'd fucking kill my wife if she told a news paper that i wear her underwear!!!

Thats our little secret

Ya that would piss me off to:o
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 10:36 PM   #11
Scholes
High School Varsity

I don't think he's all that overrated....

He's absoulutely unreal with the ball.... he can do anything with it. His defense isn't all great shakes, but as far as what he brings to his club as well as his country, which he is the skipper of by the way, his skill can't be questioned.

Giggs is great, but seems to be declining already, Scholesey is up and down, Beckham is the heart of that team.
Scholes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 10:55 PM   #12
Calis
College Starter

Well, actually I'd argue that Keane is the heart of that team, but ability-wise, Becks is definitely the core of it ability wise. I just don't really think you can beat Keane for leadership and just the overall grit.

Of course, you can also look at his being the skipper of his countries team as a knock against him. they haven't exactly been bringing down the house as of late. That's a half joke btw, you can't place the blame on him, it's the England tradition. They just can't shake the label of constant underachievers.

Hmm, thinking over this, I think I almost come off as a Beckham basher, which isn't the case. To be honest, he's probably my favorite player to watch, or way up there. As good as he is though, I think he gets portrayed as something of a mythical figure, so I'd still stand by him being overrated, not a knock on the guy at all.
Old 03-27-2003, 11:15 PM   #13
daedalus
Pro Rookie

More attacking power doesn't seem to be what they need. With Morientes and Portillo already there, they probably would've been far better off without Ronaldo (because of the financial hit, not because of his skill). But, of course, as you said, Ronaldo and Beckham does bring a lot of publicity. Now that they moved one of their midfielder down to defender, they're going to really need more defense.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 11:16 PM   #14
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Beckham is not overrated. Anyone who can hit crosses and free kicks with the precision he does has a valuable place in the world of football.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:10 AM   #15
RoastDuck
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by CAsterling
An over-rated player, who is better known for his image these days than his skills - just like Gazza was.
There are better players already in the Real Madrid side, and I think Ryan Giggs or Paul Scholes are better Man Utd players.

I agree with almost everything except the Giggs statement. He is over the hill now. He no longer frightens defenders with pace and still cannot cross a ball. This is not just my opinion - he has been roundly booed at Old Trafford this season and two Man U season ticket holders have told me they should sell him to Inter Milan if they get an offer.

Scholes is absolute class and would be the first name on my team sheet if I was Sir Alex.

Beckham, like others have said is deadly with crosses and free kicks but he is not the greatest player in Europe - not by a long shot.

I think you should bear in mind that the English media hype our players up so much. The proof as they say is in pudding and the fact is that Spanish clubs are superior in Europe and beat our teams on a regular basis. If you have access to La Liga you will not see a better level of soccer anywhere in the world.
RoastDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 02:53 AM   #16
daedalus
Pro Rookie

How do the various leagues in Europe compare stylistically? From various readings, it seems that La Liga has a more flowing kind of offense. Is this correct?
Old 03-28-2003, 03:31 AM   #17
andy m
High School Varsity

the premiership might not be the best league for technical football, but for the sheer thrill it is way ahead of other european leagues, where boring, slow football is the order of the day. english teams are tactically inept when it comes to dealing with this, hence arsenal's flowing football gets found out in europe. man utd are the only ones capable of countering that style.

i would rather watch newcastle play than any other team in europe, they are exhilirating. and i am more excited to see a conference league game than italian or spanish football. commitment, errors, bad players but a load of guys with heart and passion who run their arses off for 90 minutes. one of the best games i have ever been witness to was in the conference this season, barnet 3 - 4 leigh rmi. non stop action.
Old 03-28-2003, 04:20 AM   #18
RoastDuck
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by daedalus
How do the various leagues in Europe compare stylistically? From various readings, it seems that La Liga has a more flowing kind of offense. Is this correct?

La Liga is indeed a flowing game where the emphasis is the need to control the ball, then pass it to someone in the same colour shirt and move into space to make one-self available to receive the ball again - nothing 'technical' about Spanish football at all, just common sense IMO. Spanish football has moved on a pace in the last 5 years and is far more attack-minded than it was in the 70's/80's.

English football as Andy points out is gung-ho. Each team literally spends 90 minutes trying to score (apart from Sunderland, who spend 90 minutes defending and scoring own-goals) . This is what sets our league apart from anything else.

Serie A has/had a reputation for being the best technically but is just too damn slow for me.

The Bundesliga is a joke. I tried to watch it last season and was astonished how badly German has slipped behind the 3 other major European leagues.

Dutch football: Peaks and troughs, occasionally Ajax/Feyenoord/PSV will pop up with quality but they are too inconsistant.

Scottish football: Is closer to Aussie Rules.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:28 AM   #19
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Much thanks, RoastDuck. That makes sense.

Quote:
Scottish football: Is closer to Aussie Rules.

Heh.
Old 03-28-2003, 07:56 AM   #20
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Giggs would do Real Madrid no good, they have Figo on the left already, whereas Beckham can play the center or the right.

Great article recently on Real in Four Four Two, if you can get a chance to read it, I recommend it.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:23 AM   #21
Calis
College Starter

Well, I've heard opinions on whether he'd be good/not so good at Real, but do people actually think it's a possibility? I'll be the first to admit I'm not the most "in the know", and curious if anyone else has heard more on this subject.

Good point on the Giggs being next to useless for Real, no way in hell that he starts over Figo.

Roast Duck- I'm curious also, I haven't been following the Premiereship as much as usual this year, is Scholes really stepping it up this year? He always showed flashes of brilliance, but could never get any consistency out of him it seemed. That's excellent if he's playing up to his level now though, was hoping for that.

I'm also curious as to what has happened to the Bundesliga? I mean, it wasn't but a couple of years ago that they had some top tier teams, and now they appear to have fallen off the map. I never followed the German league, but I'm curious if someone can shed some light on what happened exactly.

Heh, I've spent the last two weeks trying to catch up on 6 months of Soccer I've missed. I finally find myself with time to psychotically follow a sport again.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:33 AM   #22
scooper
College Benchwarmer

I like Becks Dark to the regular variety. I've never had it in Spain, though.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 08:57 AM   #23
RoastDuck
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by Calis
is Scholes really stepping it up this year? He always showed flashes of brilliance, but could never get any consistency out of him it seemed. That's excellent if he's playing up to his level now though, was hoping for that.

I'm also curious as to what has happened to the Bundesliga? I mean, it wasn't but a couple of years ago that they had some top tier teams, and now they appear to have fallen off the map. I never followed the German league, but I'm curious if someone can shed some light on what happened exactly.

Scholes was really out of form during the tail end of last season but he has been turning in consistently good performances as this season has progressed. Coincidently, his return of form is mirrored by Steven Gerrard at Liverpool. He also lost his form after injury but has improved recently. Scholes, Gerrard and Beckham should in theory form a midfield to match any but for some reason England never fulfill this potential.

As for the German league, I am not sure why the standard has dropped so dramatically. I know that they have suffered from a finacial crisis but it is too simplistic to blame poor administration. They may have failed to match the other leagues in attracting top foreign talent and been left behind as the others have evolved further.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:28 PM   #24
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I thought Figo was on the right with some English dude name Mac something on the left? Oi, now I'm confused (I've never seen Real play).
Old 03-28-2003, 01:28 PM   #25
Calis
College Starter

Steve McManaman is the name you're looking for, although he's usually too drunk to actually find his way on to the pitch. Does he actually start for Real still? I haven't watched them this year, but I didn't think he did.

I'm pretty positive that Figo plays on the right wing, unless he has changed positions this year?
Old 03-28-2003, 01:30 PM   #26
CAsterling
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by daedalus
I thought Figo was on the right with some English dude name Mac something on the left? Oi, now I'm confused (I've never seen Real play).

The English Dude wold be Macmanaman (sp?), a good player who seems to have adapted to playing out of position on the left.

In reference to all the previous comments, yes I agree that Becks takes a great free kick, and good corners, but his rep was built on a long range shot early in his career. He has never shown that he can control a midfield or add much in open play.
Besides I have never forgiven him for his stupidity in being sent off during an England vs Argentina Match.

I just don't like the muppet
CAsterling is offline   Reply With Quote