Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-01-2003, 01:18 PM   #51
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by oykib
It was both. What dictionary are you using that you think that reckless and accident are mutually exclusive. If I drive my jeep down a suburban road at 70mph and hit the paperboy, it's probably an accident. That doesn't change the fact that it's reckless.

Huckabay recklessly went to the bag without considering how to stop. He didn't think about it and plowed into Jeter to slow down. As a catcher, he's used to collisions, and that's probably a natural reaction. But he wasn't at home plate. You'll never see an infielder plowing through a player.

The proper play, one an infielder would naturally make, would have been to either weave around or hurdle/step over the runner. Huckabay, being a catcher, doesn't have that training. So, he did something that turned out to be dangerous.

I don't even see where you're coming from, to be honest. I haven't said a bad thing about Huckabay. i said that it was not the ideal way to make that play because the way he did it is very likely to cause an injury. Do you really want to see fielders treating advancing baserunners like wideouts going over the middle?

Perhaps Marmel was right about you.

I see it as 2 players getting to the same place at the same time, with the defensive player trying to block the bag. He was running to get to the ball, and if he hadn't did exactly what he did, the ball probably would have got passed him allowing the run to score.

You are absolving Jeter in all of this, when the fact of the matter is,

a-he slid headfirst
b-there were 2 outs in the inning

Things happen, I don't see as the fault of anybody, but simply as something that happens when you play at this level.

Cards4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 04:23 PM   #52
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Wow. That's incredibly idiotic. What catcher would run to try to cover a base and think, "Uhh, gee . . . how will I stop when I get there?" The only thing I can think of anyone thinking in that situation is, "Oh, crap! He's taking 3rd! Me run!"

Comparing what Huckaby did with a safety hitting a wideout going over the middle is borderline pulling a HornsManiac[tm]. The guy went for the ball and fell on top of another guy. That's about two planets to the left of wideout going over the middie situation.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 04:30 PM   #53
John Galt
Pro Starter

I agree with Neyer's ESPN column today (and he is hardly a Yankee lover). Huckaby illegally blocked the bag and then illegally pushed him off the bag to tag him. The ump blew the call twice and a catcher in his gear has no business running over another player in the basepath - it just isn't a fair battle.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:43 PM   #54
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Old 04-01-2003, 04:47 PM   #55
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Recklessly

Any lawyer will tell you that when you partake in sports, you accept the risk of reckless behavior that is part of that sport. What does that mean? SPORTS INVOLVE RECKLESS BEHAVIOR! We are not all as graceful as figure skaters (and even they can be reckless because of a lack of sufficient grace). If you call his play reckless, then I'll just turn around and say Jeter's trying to streach it to 3rd and think sliding head first was just as reckless (if not more so).
Old 04-01-2003, 05:18 PM   #56
BamaJags
n00b

Is sliding headfirst safer than sliding feetfirst? Generally, yes. If Jeter slid feetfirst, he could have been fine, or we could be talking about his upcoming knee surgery. Huckaby didn't "fall" on top of Jeter, he slid into him (but he did it feetfirst, so it's OK ).
BamaJags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 05:19 PM   #57
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by John Galt
I agree with Neyer's ESPN column today (and he is hardly a Yankee lover). Huckaby illegally blocked the bag and then illegally pushed him off the bag to tag him. The ump blew the call twice and a catcher in his gear has no business running over another player in the basepath - it just isn't a fair battle.

John . . . I don't have a problem at all with the fact that it was a bad call. What I do have a problem with is Huckaby being roasted for attempting to make a play like he's suppose to. It's not like he Albert Belle'ed Jeter [well, y'know, offense-vs-defense]. I'm not sure what could have been asked of him? Not try to prevent a base being taken? Not try to reach for the ball and let it go into the dugout? It doesn't make any sense to me.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 05:24 PM   #58
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by daedalus
John . . . I don't have a problem at all with the fact that it was a bad call. What I do have a problem with is Huckaby being roasted for attempting to make a play like he's suppose to. It's not like he Albert Belle'ed Jeter [well, y'know, offense-vs-defense]. I'm not sure what could have been asked of him? Not try to prevent a base being taken? Not try to reach for the ball and let it go into the dugout? It doesn't make any sense to me.

I just think in this case that the bad call is related to the injury. The rules against blocking the bag and forcing a player off are not just there for fairness - I think they are there to prevent injury as well. When Huckaby violated the rules he endangered Jeter.

I'll admit that the blocking the bag rule isn't enforced as well as it should be, but I've never seen a case of being pushed off the bag as bad. Yes, Huckaby should have made a play on the ball, but not in a way that caused him to violate the rules.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:46 PM   #59
oykib
College Starter

John, that's my point exactly.

What happened yesterday is already over with. I think we should just try to learn what we can from it and move on.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote