Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-30-2005, 09:21 AM   #1
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Question In the grand human design...

...whether you want to take a scientific approach, or a God-based one...

Why do you think humans have different blood types?

I know, it's a rather strange question to ask, but hey, it's Friday.

WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:29 AM   #2
Subby
lolzcat

Some background to an interesting question:

The types of proteins, glycoproteins and glycolipids found (or expressed) on the surface of red blood cells define blood types. In addition, blood types, or at least the genes responsible for them, are inherited. Karl Landsteiner described the original blood types--A, B and O--in 1900 and doctors now recognize 23 blood group systems with hundreds of different "types." Many of the blood type antigens (and the antibodies that react with them) have been discovered as a result of transfusion incompatibilities. Some of these molecules have additional functions that are at least as important as conferring compatibility (of lack of compatibility) on transfusion recipients, however. The advent of sophisticated biochemistry and molecular biology has helped to characterize a number of these entities. Although it appears that the majority of the molecules are not essential for red cell function, some have specific functions on the red cell membrane such as allowing substances to enter and exit the red cell or binding certain substances to the cell surface.

For some blood types, evolution and environmental selective pressures are clearly important for their persistence. For example, the Duffy blood type includes a receptor that allows certain types of malarial parasites to enter the red cell. Thus, in some malarial areas of Africa, populations with Duffy-negative blood types have a distinct survival advantage because absence of the Duffy antigen provides a measure of protection against malaria. The percentage of people lacking the Duffy antigen is much higher in these locations than in areas not endemic for malaria.

We do not yet know the functions of the A and B blood group factors. (The O blood type is defined as the absence of A and B factors.) They are most likely important, however, because they are expressed on many cells and tissues in addition to blood cells, and circulate in the plasma as well. There are statistical differences in the frequency of certain malignancies that correlate with the ABO blood groups: Group A subjects have about a 20 percent greater risk of developing cancer of the stomach than do group O individuals, for instance, whereas the latter appear to have a greater risk of developing ulcers. The reasons are unclear. These disease susceptibilities are unlikely to confer a significant survival advantage on a population, however, because (unlike malaria) they often occur beyond a subject's reproductive years. On the other hand, there is some evidence that group O members are more susceptible than other blood type individuals to the agent that causes bubonic plague, whereas group A people are more susceptible to smallpox virus. These correlations may account for the increased frequency of the B gene in China, India and parts of Russia, which suffered epidemics of both of these diseases. Infectious organisms that carry A- and B-like antigens may have indeed played a role in the somewhat different distribution of blood types worldwide.

Finally, a number of myths exist about blood types. Claims have been made that people from group A have the worst hangovers, group O the best teeth, and group A2 the highest IQs, for example. With these and other purported associations, both the scientific basis and evolutionary significance are limited at best.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 09-30-2005 at 09:30 AM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:29 AM   #3
rkmsuf
Head Coach

stumped

can't even come up with a joke answer.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:37 AM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

Well, it seems to me that if you accept the general notion of constant evolution - then you'd expect there to be, at any point in time, any number of variations going on within species. Whether it's a function of genetic mutation or something else, we would expect there to be variations within species that have, at least not yet, resolved themselves into any determination of "fittest for survival." Especially among species with long lifespans (and therefore slow generational procession) there ought to be all sort of evolutionary occurences happening - some of which will eventualy turn into a meaningful break in the species' evolution, and some which will ultimately prove to be meaningless.

I guess that's one theory. Maybe we all had the same blood type at one point, something jared the system countless generations ago, and now there are several branches from there -- but as of yet, no material effect on the species' survival.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:40 AM   #5
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I agree with some of the prior posters ...

I think its a survival trait for the species, having diverse blood groups would possibly affect various aspects of diseases etc. with some types possibly being more resistant than others.

Never really thought about it before though, very interesting question - does anyone know if this is a common trait in animals? (ie. do dogs or horses have diverse blood groups?) ... if they do then that'd make sense in my theory, if not then I'll have to come up with another reason
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 09:45 AM   #6
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
I think its a survival trait for the species, having diverse blood groups would possibly affect various aspects of diseases etc. with some types possibly being more resistant than others.
That's where my thinking went as well. Along those lines, I wonder if distinct, isolated human groups (aborigines come to mind) all have the same blood type.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:48 AM   #7
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
That's where my thinking went as well. Along those lines, I wonder if distinct, isolated human groups (aborigines come to mind) all have the same blood type.

IIRC I think American Indians account for a very large percentage of the AB blood type.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 11:28 AM   #8
st.cronin
General Manager

I am fairly sure that dogs, cats and horses have varietal blood types. I will ask my girlfriend later - she works in animal medicine.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 12:32 PM   #9
Raven Hawk
College Starter

We were specifically bred as soft drinks for vampires. After awhile, the vampires got sick of O type blood. Vampire research engineers worked diligently at formulating a "new taste" to sell to their vampire friends. Since the presence of iron in the blood is fattening for vampires, Monika Ivanova, a famous anorexic vampire researcher devised the "Diet" or "Negative" versions of the popular beverage. While some vampires have taken sides in the marketing wars, which has been popularly called the "Blood Wars," most vampires don't care much between A,B, or O, citing price as the main factor in their purchasing decision.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:09 PM   #10
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Hawk
We were specifically bred as soft drinks for vampires. After awhile, the vampires got sick of O type blood. Vampire research engineers worked diligently at formulating a "new taste" to sell to their vampire friends. Since the presence of iron in the blood is fattening for vampires, Monika Ivanova, a famous anorexic vampire researcher devised the "Diet" or "Negative" versions of the popular beverage. While some vampires have taken sides in the marketing wars, which has been popularly called the "Blood Wars," most vampires don't care much between A,B, or O, citing price as the main factor in their purchasing decision.

Well done, WELL done I say.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote