Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-12-2003, 12:27 AM   #1
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Final Thoughts from the Iraqi ambassador for the UN

As he was leaving, the Iraqi ambassador thanked New York and the American people for basically being good host. The thing that surprised me was then he said he hopes that this will end with free elections in Iraq and that Iraq and America will now be strong allies into the future. This is the same man who was shouting on the floor of the UN just a few days ago about the US being criminals who want to steal Iraq. So was his comments a play to curry favor to be a part of the new government, an attempt to be diplomatic, or was he showing his true feelings now that he no longer has to hide them?

GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 12:39 AM   #2
couriers

I really didn't get that impression from this article.

I Can't Work in U.S. While It Kills My Countrymen
Old 04-12-2003, 12:39 AM   #3
GrantDawg

Here is a link to the Story . It is interesting to note that earlier in the day when speaking to an Arab news service he had much more harsh and defiant words. He may just be playing both sides on this.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:40 AM   #4
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by couriers
I really didn't get that impression from this article.

I Can't Work in U.S. While It Kills My Countrymen

You posted as I post. Read the other article. He seems to be saying to the American press one thing and Arab press (were your link gets its quotes) something else.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:52 AM   #5
mrskippy
Banned

I think he's probably playing both sides and saying what the people on each side want to here. But his words on American TV seemed sincere enough.

I'm sure like many people he would like peace (even as a pro-war person, I'm hopeful that the end result will be peace), to see a free Iraq, with elections, and to see an allied relationship between the countries involved.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of him.
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 06:49 AM   #6
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally posted by mrskippy
I think he's probably playing both sides and saying what the people on each side want to here. But his words on American TV seemed sincere enough.

I'm sure like many people he would like peace (even as a pro-war person, I'm hopeful that the end result will be peace), to see a free Iraq, with elections, and to see an allied relationship between the countries involved.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of him.
Diplomats from other countries seemed to be in agreement that he is a decent man.

He's not in an easy situation to say the least.
Old 04-12-2003, 07:19 AM   #7
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
I think that Iraqi diplomats abroad are all in a hover mode.

I also think that these people may end up forming a fair chunk of a postwar govt.
Old 04-12-2003, 09:22 AM   #8
Easy Mac

Perhaps in one story (the denouncing of the US), he had no knowledge of Saddam's fate, and couldn't risk pissing him off. Perhaps now he knows, and is saying what he truly feels.

Not everyone in the regime was a bastard I'm sure, perhaps we'll get lucky and there will be a llot of true/fair people in Iraq who can take over and do well.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2003, 11:55 AM   #9
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Old habits die hard sometimes; I think he's just hedging his bets, as SkyDog said, many diplomats from other countries had good words for him. His comment the other day about the 'game being over' were particularly interesting to me. I read it as the 'game' being Saddam's regime, and that would be a very telling comment if he referred to it that way.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote