Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-01-2005, 03:55 PM   #1
Easy Mac

Bye Earl, The Office

hxxp://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/pr.cgi?id=20051201nbc01

NBC is moving both shows to Thursday night, against CSI. Yeah, brilliant move. Instead of building Tuesday into a great night, lets move it to an impossible timeslot. So enjoy them while you can because they won't last. You know, why not just put four kings on at 8:30 on Tuesdays, Scrubs at 8, then follow those with Earl/Office, make it a guys alternative to American Idol and establish Tuesday's as NBC night.

Quote:

Mondays
8-9 p.m. "Surface"
9-10 p.m. "Las Vegas"
10-11 p.m. "Medium"

Tuesdays
8-9 p.m. "Fear Factor"
9-9:30 p.m. "Scrubs"
9:30-10 p.m. "Scrubs"
10-11 p.m. "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit"

Wednesdays
8-9 p.m. "E-Ring"
9-10 p.m. "The Biggest Loser: Special Edition" (new title)
10-11 p.m. "Law & Order"

Thursdays
8-8:30 p.m. "Will & Grace"
8:30-9 p.m. "FOUR KINGS"
9-9:30 p.m. "My Name Is Earl"
9:30-10 p.m. "The Office"
10-11 p.m. "ER"

Fridays
8-9 p.m. "MOST OUTRAGEOUS TV MOMENTS"
9-10 p.m. "Dateline NBC"
10-11 p.m. "THE BOOK OF DANIEL"

Saturdays
Movies and variable programming Sundays
7-8 p.m. "Dateline NBC"
8-9 p.m. "The West Wing"
9-10 p.m. "Law & Order: Criminal Intent"
10-11 p.m. "Crossing Jordan"

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:00 PM   #2
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Yeah, that's freaking stupid....or a huge gambit to get "Must See" Thursdays back for them. The only thing I can think of is that they will Survivor-ize CSI.

Back when Survivor went head-to-head with Friends everyone thought that CBS was stupid. It turned out that Survivor beat Friends and turned the corner with CSI and made CBS into the Thursday night juggernaut it is today.

The only difference between that and this is that Survivor was rated #1 (I believe) and Earl/Office isn't in the same league.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:00 PM   #3
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
hxxp://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/pr.cgi?id=20051201nbc01

NBC is moving both shows to Thursday night, against CSI. Yeah, brilliant move. Instead of building Tuesday into a great night, lets move it to an impossible timeslot. So enjoy them while you can because they won't last. You know, why not just put four kings on at 8:30 on Tuesdays, Scrubs at 8, then follow those with Earl/Office, make it a guys alternative to American Idol and establish Tuesday's as NBC night.

Wait a second--WHERE'S JOEY!?!?!??!

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:02 PM   #4
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully dead .

And I'd think you'd want to establish the Earl/Office audience before moving it off! Give them a few seasons before you make a switch like that!!
Old 12-01-2005, 04:02 PM   #5
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Oh, and it's stupid to put The Biggest Loser against Lost. Jeez...some serious counterprogramming there.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:07 PM   #6
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

I'm very pleased since I'm taping the best show on TV, House, for myself and the wretched "Commander and Chief" for my wife on our two TVs. Cant' watch live TV because that's wargame night!

So now I'll get to see "The Office" again.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:12 PM   #7
Galaxy
Coordinator

Joey and The Apprentice done?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:12 PM   #8
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants
I'm very pleased since I'm taping the best show on TV, House, for myself and the wretched "Commander and Chief" for my wife on our two TVs. Cant' watch live TV because that's wargame night!

So now I'll get to see "The Office" again.
house moves to mondays in january i believe.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:12 PM   #9
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD

Man, that got an unexpectedly big laugh out of me.

I didn't even realize that show was still on. My wife watched it for about a half-season last year, then stopped. When she gives it that much time and ends up passing on it, you know it sucks.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:14 PM   #10
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
The Apprentice done?

Nah, it'll be back in the fall I'm sure. They will be filming in CA this time around.

EDIT: Article says that they will both return after the Olympics.

Last edited by dervack : 12-01-2005 at 04:17 PM.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:16 PM   #11
dervack
College Prospect

Dola,

I'm just glad Scrubs in finally back.

Last edited by dervack : 12-01-2005 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:23 PM   #12
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
Oh, and it's stupid to put The Biggest Loser against Lost. Jeez...some serious counterprogramming there.
Why not? Reality programming is cheap and that show has demonstrated the ability to draw an audience. You don't want to go against Lost with another drama and Wednesday is a tough night for comedy. It seems somewhat logically in that sense.

This isn't a terrible surprise. I'm still not convinced that Earl and The Office are a good pair and I don't know if they are too "smart" for network TV, but Thursday night is one of the biggest audience nights of the week. It's highly likely that Earl and The Office will draw more viewers on Thursday than they did on Tuesday even if they do lose to CSI. And if they are able to put any small dent in CSI, it's gravy.

Very glad to see Scrubs back. I didn't catch it -- will that be two new episodes back to back or will the second ep be a repeat? I would have loved to see Scrubs given a Thursday tryout, but whatever it takes to keep the show on the air I'm all for.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:24 PM   #13
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:

House is still on Tuesday. Fox Mondays are Skating with Celebrities and 24.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 04:25 PM   #14
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

When does this scheduling take affect?
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 05:04 PM   #15
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauboy1
When does this scheduling take affect?
I think it said Jan.3rd or so.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:34 PM   #16
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
I think it said Jan.3rd or so.

It is just about a 6 week stretch, becuase the Olympics start on Feb. 10th. So, this just completely a test that would barely touch the Febuary sweeps.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:31 PM   #17
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

That works, too. Nothing on Monday after football goes away.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:32 PM   #18
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGiants
That works, too. Nothing on Monday after football goes away.

No, Taz is right. Originally they planned to move it to Monday, but they decided not to. AI is a better lead-in to House than putting it before 24.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:34 PM   #19
Schmidty
Coordinator

I watched "Earl" for the first time last week. It seems like a really great show, although I think 1/2 hour for it seems too little. It would be sad if it got cancelled, especially with all of the shitty sitcoms that are so popular.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:49 PM   #20
WrongWay
Banned

Damn, I was hoping Earl could shake the office from riding it's coat tails. Without Earl I amsure the office would of been cancelled by now.
WrongWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:06 PM   #21
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrongWay
Damn, I was hoping Earl could shake the office from riding it's coat tails. Without Earl I amsure the office would of been cancelled by now.
That's ok. Since "The Office" is a better show, "Earl" can only benefit by having it in the same hour .
Old 12-01-2005, 08:09 PM   #22
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Maybe someday people will get tired of watching hot cops figure out how someone got a snake to eat someone from the inside out, to hide the fact that they were REALLY POISONED!!?!?!?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:14 PM   #23
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Maybe someday people will get tired of watching hot cops figure out how someone got a snake to eat someone from the inside out, to hide the fact that they were REALLY POISONED!!?!?!?

I can like show's like "Earl" and "CSI" at the same time. Maybe I'm an anomaly. Maybe I just have Tivo.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:28 PM   #24
FBPro
College Starter

As far as I've heard Earl is a pretty popular show, I hope that it will continue to do well. For my time, I'll watch Earl over the others since CSI will be re-run in syndication in a few months anyway.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:05 PM   #25
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
I can like show's like "Earl" and "CSI" at the same time. Maybe I'm an anomaly. Maybe I just have Tivo.

Not debating that so much as commenting on the odd phonemena that is the CSI spawn.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:15 PM   #26
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
No, Taz is right. Originally they planned to move it to Monday, but they decided not to. AI is a better lead-in to House than putting it before 24.
Well, AI will be on Wed and Thur. I think Fox is liking Bones in that 8pm et slot too much right now to move it.

Edit: Well, I thought I had read that, but now am having a tough time finding the link.

Edit2: It looks like that was just a report, as Idol will be a Tue and Wed thing again afterall.

Last edited by dervack : 12-01-2005 at 09:22 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:23 PM   #27
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Fox has moved Bones to Wednesday going up against Lost and Criminal Minds. In other words Bones is dead.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 09:42 PM   #28
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Fox has moved Bones to Wednesday going up against Lost and Criminal Minds. In other words Bones is dead.

At least they didn't move it to Thursday at 9.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:49 PM   #29
WrongWay
Banned

Anyone know if Mark Harmons Navy show made it?

Also, what the hell is "The Book of Daniel"

And, is that ABC Rome miniseries going to be a series next year?
Old 12-01-2005, 10:09 PM   #30
Easy Mac

Quote:

Also, what the hell is "The Book of Daniel"

And, is that ABC Rome miniseries going to be a series next year?

1. Yes, it's fine in the ratings.

"The Book of Daniel" is a provocative, edgy and compelling new drama starring Emmy nominee Aidan Quinn ("An Early Frost") as Reverend Daniel Webster, an unconventional Episcopalian minister who not only believes in Jesus - he actually sees him and discusses life with him. Webster is challenged on many levels as he struggles to be a good husband, father and minister, while trying to control a nagging addiction to prescription painkillers, and an often rocky relationship with the church hierarchy, led by Bishop Beatrice Congreve (Oscar winner Ellen Burstyn, "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore"), and Roger Paxton, a senior warden of the parish and stalwart churchgoer (Dylan Baker, "Kinsey").

The reverend also has loving, but challenging relationships with his three children: Peter (Christian Campbell, "Trick"), his 23-year-old gay son; Grace (Alison Pill, "Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen"), his 16-year-old daughter who doesn't try to push her father's buttons but succeeds at it nonetheless; and Adam (Ivan Shaw, "All My Children"), his 16-year-old adopted Chinese son, a handsome and cocky high school jock. Keeping Webster grounded is his strong and loving wife Judith (Susanna Thompson, "Now and Again") -- who is fighting her own fondness for mid-day martinis -- as well as Jesus (Garret Dillahunt, "Deadwood"), whose frequent chats with Daniel remind him of his strengths and weaknesses.

Creator Jack Kenny ("Titus") and Flody Suarez ("8 Simple Rules for Dating My Daughter," "The Tick") are the executive producers of this production from NBC Universal Television Studio and Sony Pictures Television.

3. Empire was a limited series, much like the aforementioned Daniel. That means it will probably be just that run and nothing more. Empire pretty much went through all of its storyline anyway.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:47 PM   #31
WrongWay
Banned

Just when I think I have a handle on what to expect from this show you throw in this?

Quote:
Creator Jack Kenny ("Titus") and Flody Suarez ("8 Simple Rules for Dating My Daughter," "The Tick") are the executive producers of this production from NBC Universal Television Studio and Sony Pictures Television.

Now I have no idea what to expect.

I am guessing Beavis & Butthead meet Highway to Heaven?

Last edited by WrongWay : 12-01-2005 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:52 PM   #32
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:

NCIS. One of my favorite shows.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:58 PM   #33
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22
NCIS. One of my favorite shows.

Me too, I just don't like the new girl though.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:23 PM   #34
RendeR
Coordinator

There was absolutely nothing in ANY of those time slots that would bring me as a viewer to that network. its all shit, top to bottom pedantic rehashed overused shit.

That is why it really doesn't matter what night they moved anything to, its all the same shit. When they get something worth watching, someone should let me know.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 07:22 AM   #35
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
"The Book of Daniel" is a provocative, edgy and compelling new drama starring Emmy nominee Aidan Quinn ("An Early Frost") as Reverend Daniel Webster, an unconventional Episcopalian minister who not only believes in Jesus - he actually sees him and discusses life with him.

Hello, Joan of Arcadia.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:44 AM   #36
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack
Edit2: It looks like that was just a report, as Idol will be a Tue and Wed thing again afterall.

http://medialifemagazine.com/artman/...ticle_1557.asp

Why Fox axed 'Idol' move to Thursday
One risk: The show would take a ratings hit

By Toni Fitzgerald
Dec 1, 2005

After mulling the idea for weeks, Fox decided yesterday not to move its most valuable franchise, “American Idol,” to Thursday nights.

The network says that a variety of options were considered for the show and that ultimately the Fox programming strategists felt keeping the show on Tuesdays and Wednesdays was the best option.

Why Fox would consider the move in the first place is a no-brainer: a chance to gain a major foothold on network TV's most lucrative night.

Fox has been lusting after the prestige of a Thursday night hit for more than 10 years, dating back to the early 1990s when it moved “The Simpsons” to Thursday, only to retreat.

But over the past five seasons, Fox has watched CBS make inroads, and it seemed a perfect time to challenge both CBS and NBC on the night, with “Survivor” on the decline and NBC’s entire schedule fading. A Thursday move would have likely finished off NBC, completing the job CBS started.

But in the end, as Fox weighed the risks, it decided against the Thursday move, and for two reasons, as surmised by media buyers and researchers.

The first reason was a very rational fear of the unknown. On the tougher Thursday night, “Idol” would certainly take a hit in the ratings. But how much of a hit? Fox had no way of knowing. The risk was that the reality show, which is already showing some signs of fatigue, would see that fatigue accelerate on Thursdays.

A substantial ratings slide would be enough to knock Fox out of contention for a second season win in adults 18-49.

The second reason Fox backed off the Thursday switch was dissatisfaction among media buyers. Buyers were already upset over the high prices being charged for “Idol,” and they were dead set against paying even more if the show moved to Thursday, broadcast television's priciest night.

The money issue was probably the bigger concern. One media buyer who asked not to be identified said that Fox had been feeling out agencies for weeks about the move. “Idol” is already the most expensive show on TV, with prices for a 30-second commercial ranging from $500,000 to $700,000.

Buyers were even more unhappy with the notion of paying that much for an unproven timeslot. Additionally, the scatter market looks very weak for first quarter, and Fox would have had trouble getting the price it wanted for the remaining “Idol” inventory.

“It’s already the most expensive 30-second commercial on television, and it’s among the highest rated,” says one researcher. “They already have sponsors like Ford, Cingular and Coke. From that end, they may just want to let sleeping dogs lie.”

Fox's standing would have been further hurt if "Idol" faded on Thursday. Many expect the show to decline this season, after a surprisingly strong fourth edition. In fact, former Fox president Gail Berman was telling reporters last year that she expected declines.

Ultimately, it made more sense for Fox, known for its bold programming decisions, to hold off. One buyer tells Media Life that he expects Fox to be right in the mix for the season, despite trailing CBS and ABC by more than half a ratings point now.

He says Fox’s decision to start its new shows early, combined with the resurgence of Sunday nights with “Family Guy,” puts Fox in a better position than last year, when it barely edged CBS for No. 1 among 18-49s.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:48 AM   #37
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I also saw this today on medialifemagazine.com but I think Jayski.com explains it better:

http://jayski.com/pages/media.htm
NASCAR TV deal near? UPDATE 2: NASCAR could announce as early as this week a TV rights deal that would see Fox broadcast the first half of the Nextel Cup season and TNT and ESPN/ABC sharing the back half starting in 2007, Street & Smith's SportsBusiness Journal reports. The sanctioning body could get as much as $550 million a year from TV rights, a 38% increase over the estimated $400 million a year it gets under the current arrangement with Fox, NBC and TNT. The story says industry insiders say the ABC/ESPN commitment alone is expected to be about $270 million a year. TNT and ESPN are expected to air six races each, reporter Scott Warfield writes, and ABC will air the final 11 races, including all 10 events [and Indy] in the Chase For The Nextel Cup.(NASCAR Scene Daily Newsletter), so that would be 36 total races: ESPN gets 6, TNT gets 6, ABC gets 11, so Fox/FX would get 13 [plus Bud Shootout and Nextel Challenge].(11-29-2005)
Old 12-02-2005, 11:13 AM   #38
tategter
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD

Read somewhere that Joey was taken off the air until about March. In other words they are keeping it in reserve for when one of the January filler shows bombs so bad they have to fill air time with something. Preferably something that is already paid for.
tategter is offline   Reply With Quote