Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-22-2005, 10:15 AM   #1
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Another Pro Bowl rant-AFC OTs.

I think Levi Jones and Tarik Glenn were both more deserving this season than Willie Roaf and Jonathan Ogden. Ogden's been a great one, but I thought his play was down this season along with his entire offense. Roaf has played well but has missed half of the season. I think both of these guys got in name and past accomplishments.

Levi Jones has kept Carson Palmer standing all season and has anchored one of the league's best offenses. If you could re-watch the Cincy-Indy game and the Baltimore-Indy game and compare his game against Freeney to Ogden's you'd see the difference in their play this season. Freeney didn't log a sack in either game, but he constantly harrassed Boller and rarely got close to Palmer. He failed to log a single tackle or assist against the Bengals.

Glenn, I think, is a victim of playing on an offense with too much star power, with the likes of Manning, James and Harrison, but he is as important to that offense as anybody short of Manning.

I understand that name recognition goes a long way in these votes, and both chosen LT's are certainly good ones. This isn't a Vick situation. I just think this season that Jones and Glenn were more deserving.

scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:18 AM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

People vote for O-linemen based on name. Ogden could probably get a spot after he died. People just don't pay attention.

I heard that the NFL told T. Glenn that he had made the Pro Bowl, but then did a recount and took it back. That sucks. Why would you announce results to someone and then do your recount?
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:22 AM   #3
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight

I heard that the NFL told T. Glenn that he had made the Pro Bowl, but then did a recount and took it back. That sucks. Why would you announce results to someone and then do your recount?

That really sucks. I'm no Colts fan, but I have a ton of respect for that offensive line. At least Saturday got in.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:24 AM   #4
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
People vote for O-linemen based on name. Ogden could probably get a spot after he died. People just don't pay attention.
Word. Orlando Pace just won it again in the NFC.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:30 AM   #5
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Word. Orlando Pace just won it again in the NFC.

Can you blame them? Orlando is a pretty cool name. So is Orpheus. I wonder why the NFL dropped the ball on that one.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:30 AM   #6
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper
I think Levi Jones and Tarik Glenn were both more deserving this season than Willie Roaf and Jonathan Ogden. Ogden's been a great one, but I thought his play was down this season along with his entire offense. Roaf has played well but has missed half of the season. I think both of these guys got in name and past accomplishments.

Levi Jones has kept Carson Palmer standing all season and has anchored one of the league's best offenses. If you could re-watch the Cincy-Indy game and the Baltimore-Indy game and compare his game against Freeney to Ogden's you'd see the difference in their play this season. Freeney didn't log a sack in either game, but he constantly harrassed Boller and rarely got close to Palmer. He failed to log a single tackle or assist against the Bengals.

Glenn, I think, is a victim of playing on an offense with too much star power, with the likes of Manning, James and Harrison, but he is as important to that offense as anybody short of Manning.

I understand that name recognition goes a long way in these votes, and both chosen LT's are certainly good ones. This isn't a Vick situation. I just think this season that Jones and Glenn were more deserving.

You answered your own question. If any of us could re-watch either of those games, most of us would not watch the offensive line play unless it is highlighted in the TV coverage. It takes an effort to watch and analyze any offensive linemen. I don't think it is just fans either. I think the media and the players do the same thing.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 10:36 AM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hartings sucks this year, and made it in the AFC for center. Definately a name type thing for him.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 12:47 PM   #8
st.cronin
General Manager

Definitely agree about Levi Jones. He's been the best lineman I've seen this year.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote