Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-06-2014, 11:21 PM   #451
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Excuse me? Guy faced one good defense all year and it wasn't tonight. He was mediocre tonight, making wrong read after wrong read and his accuracy was not NFL ready at all. I am sure he'll be in the Heisman race next year and I'm sure he'll be a good, if not great pro as time goes on. But the game tonight was not professional worthy at all. He was facing a very poor defense and he looked horrible for huge parts of the game. (this Auburn teams best defensive effort in the weeks prior to this was a 495 yard slugfest agasinst Alabama.

I can't believe they are giving him the MVP of the game. What a monumental joke. Try Rashad Green, the guy who came up with catch after catch after catch and made the monster run when it counted.

Did you even watch the game?
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:25 PM   #452
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Im sorry but I dont like that comparison. Winston is a very intelligent QB. He actually reminds me of Luck. Young was an athlete playing QB. Winston is a QB with the mind of a QB.

As oppose to an athlete with a mind of a ... ? Maybe this will inspire more of those playing QB to have a mind of a QB.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:26 PM   #453
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Gut shot to the guy with the $50k payday. Nice drive by FSU.

I saw the pre-game article that he decided not to hedge, but I sure as hell hope he re-thought that based on the halftime score. I saw the money line at +130 for FSU at that point. Dropping $10K at that point would have assured him $13K profit, with an upside of $40K. That same $10K pre-game would have only gotten him a few thousand.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:30 PM   #454
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I saw the pre-game article that he decided not to hedge, but I sure as hell hope he re-thought that based on the halftime score. I saw the money line at +130 for FSU at that point. Dropping $10K at that point would have assured him $13K profit, with an upside of $40K. That same $10K pre-game would have only gotten him a few thousand.

I was able to double dip with Auburn +10.5 for the game and FSU -8 for the second half.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:30 PM   #455
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
I was able to double dip with Auburn +10.5 for the game and FSU -8 for the second half.

Perfect scenario, well done!
Old 01-06-2014, 11:31 PM   #456
Logan
Head Coach

The Film Room thing on ESPN News was pretty awesome, and it will be even better next year. Tips: 1) Show the All-22 view in full screen for all the live action. We're all watching for the analysis, we don't need a half screen shot of the broadcast view. 2) Tell Matt Millen you're broadcasting from the Bristol while everyone else shows up at the LA studio.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:32 PM   #457
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
As oppose to an athlete with a mind of a ... ? Maybe this will inspire more of those playing QB to have a mind of a QB.

He seems to care about being a great QB than most especially at his age.

I mean Auburn had a great gameplan tonight with their edge pressure and bumping up on the WRs. It would have been easy for him to become rattled and start forcing the issue but he never did.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:36 PM   #458
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Thought that was an amazing match - both teams played really well and it was a dead heat finish, could have gone either way realistically.

My daughters at FSU so I'm really pleased they won - but both teams showed incredible composure and skill and should be proud imho
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:36 PM   #459
Kodos
Resident Alien

Glad to see Florida State win. My parents have had a tough year, and this will bring them a nice shot of happiness.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:38 PM   #460
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Thought that was an amazing match - both teams played really well and it was a dead heat finish, could have gone either way realistically.

My daughters at FSU so I'm really pleased they won - but both teams showed incredible composure and skill and should be proud imho

They usually arent this good Pretty amazing game. Id guess things are pretty exciting on the FSU campus tonight.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:49 PM   #461
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Excuse me? Guy faced one good defense all year and it wasn't tonight. He was mediocre tonight, making wrong read after wrong read and his accuracy was not NFL ready at all. I am sure he'll be in the Heisman race next year and I'm sure he'll be a good, if not great pro as time goes on. But the game tonight was not professional worthy at all. He was facing a very poor defense and he looked horrible for huge parts of the game. (this Auburn teams best defensive effort in the weeks prior to this was a 495 yard slugfest agasinst Alabama.

I can't believe they are giving him the MVP of the game. What a monumental joke. Try Rashad Green, the guy who came up with catch after catch after catch and made the monster run when it counted.

To much salt is bad for your health man it leads to high blood pressure.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:51 PM   #462
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Okay, since nobody on my FB wall has answered my question, I'll ask it here:

Did anybody watching halftime NOT watching on Dish Network see the Lou Holtz commercial for the Catholic Church?

I'm betting that it was a "cover" spot aired only on Dish (or Dish + Direct) in a break meant for local cable affiliates, curious since ESPN recently got embroiled in a controversy about a spot for a Catholic hospital.

Saw it on AT&T Uverse and wondered how literally anyone could decide that Holtz makes a good spokesperson.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:53 PM   #463
Dutch
"Dutch"

Glad to see Florida State pull it out....the kick off return was fantastic and couldn't have come at a better time. Get that kid a beer (or a root beer, depending...of course).

Last edited by Dutch : 01-06-2014 at 11:54 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:59 PM   #464
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Quote:

So you'd rather have Bortles, Mettenburger or Carr? Mostly, I was speaking to the fact that he is uniquely freakish physically and his earnings window will be starting a year later than it should.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:05 AM   #465
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post
So you'd rather have Bortles, Mettenburger or Carr? Mostly, I was speaking to the fact that he is uniquely freakish physically and his earnings window will be starting a year later than it should.

Haha!

I saw the Bortles has bumped into a top 5 projected draft choice last week I was like WTF. Coming into the year I wasnt even sure if he would get drafted.

Seems like a Gabbert type waste pick to me but who knows. Probably thought the same about Nick Foles.

I really dont like this years QBs at all honestly. I know people are in love with Bridgewater but I guess I am not seeing All Pro potential in him.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-07-2014 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:52 AM   #466
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Haha!

I saw the Bortles has bumped into a top 5 projected draft choice last week I was like WTF. Coming into the year I wasnt even sure if he would get drafted.

Seems like a Gabbert type waste pick to me but who knows. Probably thought the same about Nick Foles.

I really dont like this years QBs at all honestly. I know people are in love with Bridgewater but I guess I am not seeing All Pro potential in him.

I don't know enough of Bortles to make a guess one way or the other but I feel the same way you do about Bridgewater. I don't get the hype.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:17 AM   #467
Kevin
High School JV

Quote:
Okay, since nobody on my FB wall has answered my question, I'll ask it here:

Did anybody watching halftime NOT watching on Dish Network see the Lou Holtz commercial for the Catholic Church?

I'm betting that it was a "cover" spot aired only on Dish (or Dish + Direct) in a break meant for local cable affiliates, curious since ESPN recently got embroiled in a controversy about a spot for a Catholic hospital.

I've seen that commercial on ABC several times. We get the Boston feed.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:18 AM   #468
CraigSca
Pro Starter

This NC game only bolstered my severe dislike for Alabama fans.

At first, my twitter feed was lit up with, "Hey FSU, welcome to big boy football!" and "Shouldn't have scheduled so many patsies!" By the end of the night, it was filled with "You suck Auburn, for ruining the streak!" and "War Damn Eagle, you ass!" There were also some inane "roll tide"s thrown in for good measure. /vomit
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:20 AM   #469
Butter
Coordinator

Man, I'm gonna miss those Nissan Rogue commercials.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:21 AM   #470
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

At least Auburn showed up for their bowl game.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #471
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I was planning on spending the day trading in my Hondas for Fords and then heading down to Taco Bell for "Nachos on the Go." As a parent of a young daughter, I love the fact the kid was in the girl's house and the parents came home early. Laugh out loud funny! (yes, I know I'm not the chosen demographic)
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:28 AM   #472
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Man, I'm gonna miss those Nissan Rogue commercials.

Must have missed them...

On a serious note though, how exactly is that commercial going to make anyone decide they want one? I know the commercial that you are talking about, only because it has been on about 20,000 times over the past weekend but I don't even know if I could have told you what car it was for if you didn't mention it. I just know I have seen it more than enough times.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:34 AM   #473
Butter
Coordinator

What I got out of it was I can drive my car on train tracks to avoid traffic. A pretty sweet feature!
Old 01-07-2014, 08:35 AM   #474
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Can we get better announcers next season at least? Several plays that Musberger completely blew which, in my mind, are inexcusable for an announcer in a key game... like the fumble on the interception (which they needed pointed out to them during the break so they could talk about it afterwards). It was like as soon as he saw the interception he already decided what he was going to say and stopped paying attention.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:45 AM   #475
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
heading down to Taco Bell for "Nachos on the Go." As a parent of a young daughter, I love the fact the kid was in the girl's house and the parents came home early. Laugh out loud funny! (yes, I know I'm not the chosen demographic)

Every time I see that commercial all I can think is if when I was that age and my girlfriends father came home early it wouldn't have been Tco Bell I was eating.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:57 AM   #476
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
The Film Room thing on ESPN News was pretty awesome, and it will be even better next year. Tips: 1) Show the All-22 view in full screen for all the live action. We're all watching for the analysis, we don't need a half screen shot of the broadcast view. 2) Tell Matt Millen you're broadcasting from the Bristol while everyone else shows up at the LA studio.

Some of the best TV I've seen in a while. Absolutely phenomenal segment.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:06 AM   #477
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Can we get better announcers next season at least? Several plays that Musberger completely blew which, in my mind, are inexcusable for an announcer in a key game... like the fumble on the interception (which they needed pointed out to them during the break so they could talk about it afterwards). It was like as soon as he saw the interception he already decided what he was going to say and stopped paying attention.

ESPN Classic had no announcers - just stadium noise. It was awesome. ESPN News had the coach round table that dissected the game live. I didn't get Mush'd at all.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:09 AM   #478
lungs
Pro Rookie

The first half was much more indicative of the true talent levels on the two teams. If Auburn hadn't lost focus in the second half this would've been a blood bath.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #479
Galaril
Pro Starter

Great post Troy and agree completely.

Last edited by Galaril : 01-07-2014 at 09:11 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #480
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Did you even watch the game?

Did you? The guy was 20 for 35 2TDS and though he did not have any ints he had a 2 or 3 throws that should have been picked. He had 11 rushes for 26 yards, but 21 of that came on one run so that is 10 rushes for 5 yards. His defense and some crappy late game coaching by Auburn won that game won. The guy had a QBR 48.9 so yeah he's the next Warren Moon for sure.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #481
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Did you? The guy was 20 for 35 2TDS and though he did not have any ints he had a 2 or 3 throws that should have been picked. He had 11 rushes for 26 yards, but 21 of that came on one run so that is 10 rushes for 5 yards. His defense and some crappy late game coaching by Auburn won that game won. The guy had a QBR 48.9 so yeah he's the next Warren Moon for sure.

Sack yardage counts in college football on rushing yardage, lets start with that for misinformation you guys have.

As far as how he played he wasnt as good as he had been all year which was what impressed me the most. I already knew he was great when things are going great. He was still making the right reads and not forcing throws he could have been forcing despite not having open Wrs or the time he was used to. Auburn had a scheme that clearly disrupted FSU's offense.

FSU should have been running the ball more as that is what Auburn was giving them. FSU was outcoached last night strategy wise.

But I am not going to waste my time arguing about this. Winston is the real deal, is NFL ready, but we will have to wait 2-3 years to watch you both makes excuses for what you claim you saw last night.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-07-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #482
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
His defense and some crappy late game coaching by Auburn won that game won.

Explain.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #483
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

9/10 for 117 yards and 2 TD's in the final two drives. That's the MVP, without any doubt or hesitation afaic.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:26 AM   #484
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
The first half was much more indicative of the true talent levels on the two teams. If Auburn hadn't lost focus in the second half this would've been a blood bath.

Oh Matthean, you're drunk. You're so drunk you're posting as other posters now. Go home.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:03 AM   #485
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Explain.

FSU defense I thought played real well holding Auburn down to a reasonable score and same can be said for Auburn. I thought late in the game Malazan's play calling tightened up on that 3rd to last drive when the score was 21-19 and they had the chance to go in for the td and had to settle for a FG .
I too don't have a dog in this race either but if nopt for that last drive by Winston would anyone be saying how NFL ready he is? I think not but YMMV depending on if you are FSU homer.

Last edited by Galaril : 01-07-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #486
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
9/10 for 117 yards and 2 TD's in the final two drives. That's the MVP, without any doubt or hesitation afaic.
And there was still doubt about that because he hadn't been in any close games. Crazy Winston stat - going into last night he was 171st in 4th quarter attempts by an FBS QB.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #487
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I too don't have a dog in this race either but if nopt for that last drive by Winston would anyone be saying how NFL ready he is? I think not but YMMV depending on if you are FSU homer.

As far as I know, Noop was the only one even in this thread last night that was a FSU fan. I think most of the Winston believers in here have seen him play a few times so no I dont think that one drive made much of a difference other than to confirm what we thought.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:46 AM   #488
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

In addition, there have been TONS of QBs who have played like crap, but then were amazing in the 4th Q in massive games. Sometimes it just happens that way.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #489
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I think you are missing my point. Yes every team plays cupcakes.
But during the last 4 years Clemson for example has also played 8 games against SEC schools OOC. (the state law mandated annual game against SC and Aub, Aub, Aub, UGA and will open this season in Athens)

And then added 2 cupcakes. Different world from three cupcakes or in the case of Bama with an in conference rival some years 4 cupcakes.
Since 2007, Alabama has played 1 tough OOC game each year. VaTech (neutral), Michigan (neutral), @ Penn St, vs. Penn St, VaTech (neutral), Clemson (neutral), @ Florida St

Clemson plays 2. And their overall schedule has still been significantly weaker every year than Alabama's because the SEC (and SEC West in particular) is that much better than the ACC Atlantic. I don't think the SEC is better week in and week out, but yeah, between LSU, Auburn, Arkansas, A&M and whichever of the Florida/Georgia/SC trio they play from the East they are pretty much guaranteed 3-4 tough games while Clemson usually only gets 1 from the ACC (FSU, mayyyybe a VaTech/GT some years)

If you want to expand it to the rest of the conference, the SEC is again about the same as the ACC when it comes to scheduling.

FSU: Bethune Cookman, Nevada, Idaho, Florida
Syracuse: Penn St (loss), Northwestern (loss), Wagner, Tulane
BC: Villanova, USC (loss), Army, New Mexico St.
Maryland: FIU, Old Dominion, UConn, West Virginia
Wake Forest: Presbyterian, UL-Monroe, Army, Vanderbilt (loss)
NC State: Louisiana Tech, Richmond, Central Michigan, East Carolina (loss)
Quote:
Simple the SEC thought Auburn and UGa were better teams and could/would win.

Again I'm not saying the SEC is garbage, though some teams are, just as a whole over rated.
They thought the Auburn team that went 0-8 in conference could beat a preseason top 15 Clemson team? (I mean, they were winning in the 4th quarter, but still...) Or that Miss St could beat Ok State? Or that Ole Miss would beat Texas (well, they did)? Why would the SEC has a policy where they buy out games for conference teams, instead of just having those teams run their scheduling by the conference before agreeing to a series?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #490
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
In addition, there have been TONS of QBs who have played like crap, but then were amazing in the 4th Q in massive games. Sometimes it just happens that way.
Yeah, I don't think anyone watched Winston play last night for the first time and said he's #1 worthy (like, say, I did when I watched him vs. Pitt week 1, or people did with Teddy Bridgewater in his bowl game last year...) It's a cumulative thing from watching him play during the season, and then seeing him step up in a close game for the 1st time under the brightest lights after a poor 1st half and the first real deficit FSU faced all year. It's worth noting that his QB Rating this year is 184.8. Bridgewater's is 171.1 (132.4 as a FR), Manziel's 172.9 (155.3 as a FR), Bryce Petty's 174.3, AJ McCarron's 167.2 (147.3 1st year starting as a SO), Marcus Mariota 167.7 (163.2 as a FR), Blake Bortles 163.4 (144.5 1st yr starting as a SO), Derek Carr 156.1 (144.5 1st yr starting as a SO). I know QB rating has tons of flaws, but yeah, that kind of gap says something. Do I think he's ready to be a top 5 NFL QB, or someone who couldn't use another season or two of development? Of course not, but I think he's clearly as ready or more than every other QB who is allowed to come out and be a 1st round pick this year.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:21 AM   #491
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Saw it on AT&T Uverse and wondered how literally anyone could decide that Holtz makes a good spokesperson.

Eh, he's not that bad of a choice if you consider what the Catholic Church has to work with in the US.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:32 AM   #492
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

Right on. And can you believe there were people who thought Peyton Manning was NFL ready and worth the first overall pick after the 98 Orange Bowl? Pure madness.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #493
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Didn't realize Nick Saban was on the sideline. I did like the Grantland reporter's take.
Quote:
For the record, I'm almost positive Saban only committed to be in Pasadena as some twisted form of punishment for himself. You know how the Opus Dei character whips himself in The Da Vinci Code? That was this game for Saban.
The best memory from Monday night? Standing behind Saban on the sideline when FSU kicked off to Chris Davis with 10 seconds left. The same Chris Davis who ruined Saban's national championship hopes a month ago. When FSU got him down on that last kickoff, Saban turned from the field shaking his head and let out an exaggerated, amused sigh.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #494
bhlloy
Coordinator

The decision to kick to him at all was very interesting. They must have incredible faith in their coverage team especially given what happened a few minutes earlier. Obviously paid of spectacularly for them but surely the conventional wisdom was to squib it to the fattest guy they could find?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:17 PM   #495
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Gotta hand it to Herbstreit for not just busting out laughing.

So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:22 PM   #496
Kodos
Resident Alien

That was just sad.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #497
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
The decision to kick to him at all was very interesting. They must have incredible faith in their coverage team especially given what happened a few minutes earlier. Obviously paid of spectacularly for them but surely the conventional wisdom was to squib it to the fattest guy they could find?

Not when Auburn can tie it with a FG and FSU has a kicker who had been putting it deep in the endzone. No way you want to risk giving Auburn the ball at their own 40 with :12 and 2 timeouts.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #498
Logan
Head Coach

Try to spot it...

Old 01-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #499
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Brent Musburger is old and has likely lost a step, but I still like hearing his voice during a game.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #500
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Try to spot it...

Those Florida State Tigers sure had a hell of a game.