Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-19-2009, 11:53 AM   #451
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

It's sad when the only positive thing you can take out of a NFL Sunday is the struggles of another team or player. The highlight of yesterday, NFL-wise, was the continued horrible play of Mark Sanchize.

The Packers played a lousy game. 3 turnovers and 13 penalties for 130 yards and the Lions still were totally uncompetitive in that game. It's one thing getting killed by a good team or at least a decent team playing well, it's another to get routed by a team playing very medicore football.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:55 AM   #452
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

As a life long die hard Saints fan I have to be happy with how the season has gone so far, and we have a couple tough games coming up (Miami & Atlanta) then an easy stretch before New England at home on MNF.
I thought we had a good chance to beat the Giants, I thought the game would be close- but watching that unfold yesterday I am amazed at how well they are playing right now.
My only concern is, can we keep it up- can we play this well all year, and most importantly, can we play this well in January. If we get home field, or even if Minnesota gets home field I will feel very confident- as long as we don't have to play in windy snow in January I'll be happy.

This is a great time to be a Saints fan, and I just pray we can keep it together.

I've always said if the Saints ever go to the Superbowl I'm getting a fleur de lis tattoo on my ass... Might have to finally do that.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:05 PM   #453
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post

I've always said if the Saints ever go to the Superbowl I'm getting a fleur de lis tattoo on my ass... Might have to finally do that.

No pix plz. K. thx.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:11 PM   #454
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I don't follow Tennessee, but is their talent that bad or is it just a case of everything spiraling out of control right now?

Well, they appeared to have a ton of talent but that is debatable. But they are not lacking talent to be 0-fer so it has to rest with coaching.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:14 PM   #455
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Getting rid of Fisher would be stupid IMO. The Giants almost did the same thing with Coughlin and win the title the next year.

Stupid why becuase the team will stop playing or give up? They already are there and they got 10 games to go. We could be looking at a 3-13 season if we are lucky from all indications. Fisher is a very good coach but as with VY they both need a fresh starta s do the Titans. I would love them to hire a guy like Gregg Williams from NOm either for HC or DC.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:18 PM   #456
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I still think Fisher is a real good coach. Never thought he had much talent in Tennessee even during their great years.

At the same time, you sometimes just need to bring in a new coach. Players stop playing passionately for a guy and don't buy into their gameplan any longer. It might be time for Jeff Fisher to move on. I can tell you that I'd love to have him coaching the Bears.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:27 PM   #457
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My point is that people were saying the same things about Coughlin and the next year they won the superbowl.

Fischer is a very good coach. If you are going to go out and get a Gruden, Cowher, or Shanahan then OK, maybe he goes. But I just don't know if they should pull the trigger so soon, the Giants didn't and I am very glad about it.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #458
Kodos
Resident Alien

"Brandon Jacobs 2009 NFL MVP!"

He's not even the best runningback on his team.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #459
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
"Brandon Jacobs 2009 NFL MVP!"

He's not even the best runningback on his team.

10 games left, he is just trying to give other teams a false sense of confidence.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #460
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Stupid why becuase the team will stop playing or give up? They already are there and they got 10 games to go. We could be looking at a 3-13 season if we are lucky from all indications. Fisher is a very good coach but as with VY they both need a fresh starta s do the Titans. I would love them to hire a guy like Gregg Williams from NOm either for HC or DC.

The Titans had Gregg Williams as DC previously.

This from wiki:

From 1997-2000, Williams was promoted to Defensive Coordinator of the now Tennessee Titans after the Oilers moved out of Houston. As the Defensive Coordinator, the Titans led the league in total defense and only gave up 191 points, the third fewest in the NFL since the league adopted the 16-game schedule in 1978. The defense also helped lead the Titans to Super Bowl XXXIV where they lost to the St. Louis Rams.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #461
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Steve McNair had a better day statistically than the Titans passing game.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #462
Travis
Pro Rookie

Should be an interesting bye week for the Seahawks. The Cards exposed their offensive line for what it is right now, a bunch of back ups trying to implement a new zone blocking scheme.

Supposedly Locklear and Sims will be back and Walter Jones is to be re-evaluated during the bye. My assumption is that Jones will be shut down and placed on the IR for the remainder of the season. As sad as that is for me to say (and certainly puts into question whether he'll ever play again or if he'll use this season as a chance to get healthy for a final push and play 1-2 more seasons, who knows), opening up the roster spot and cap space for a potential free agent signing could be a good thing.

At 2-4 right now they'll need to go at least 7-3 the rest of the way (likely 8-2) as well as winning all remaining divisional games to have any chance at the playoffs. Hasselbeck has shown how well he can move this offense when he has protection and the line should be drastically upgraded coming out of the bye (likely looking at Locklear - Sims - Spencer - Unger - Womack so the entire left side is drastically upgraded from the Williams - Vallos LT/LG combo put out there this weekend).

Defensively they get Hill back while they lose Tatupu for the rest of the season. Kerney was reinjured but their depth at DE is pretty solid. The biggest question is in the secondary where they should be getting Trufant back. If he can solidify the secondary along with the offensive line stepping up and of course no other serious rash of injuries, they should be able to put together some quality games. Unfortunately coming out of the bye they play Dallas, Detroit, Arizona and Minny. They'll have to go at least 2-2 to keep any hope for their season alive, likely 3-1 or better to make up any ground.

That said, I'm very curious to see what David Hawthorne can do in Tatupu's spot. The kid has played very well in spot duty to this point and what he lacks in intuitive play he seems to make up for with a knack for making hits that'll cause fumbles. Creating turnovers is going to be huge for this D so I'm hoping that trend continues for him.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:07 PM   #463
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
At the same time, you sometimes just need to bring in a new coach. Players stop playing passionately for a guy and don't buy into their gameplan any longer. It might be time for Jeff Fisher to move on. I can tell you that I'd love to have him coaching the Bears.

This.

It happened to Bill Walsh, Chuck Noll, Don Shula, Tom Landry, and perhaps Bill Cowher near the end. 10+ years = message gets stale.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:21 PM   #464
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I don't like all this talk about Greg Williams getting a shot at a HC job, we need him!
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #465
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Does the whole "message gets stale" thing happen overnight? Tennessee kicked ass for much of last year.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #466
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post

This from wiki:

From 1997-2000, Williams was promoted to Defensive Coordinator of the now Tennessee Titans after the Oilers moved out of Houston. As the Defensive Coordinator, the Titans led the league in total defense and only gave up 191 points, the third fewest in the NFL since the league adopted the 16-game schedule in 1978. The defense also helped lead the Titans to Super Bowl XXXIV where they lost to the St. Louis Rams.

Yup and they never have been the same since he left. I think he was a HC in Buffalo and I can't remember how successful he was there so maybe they wouldhave to pay hima ton to pry him away from the Saints. I hope they win the SB this year and then maybe he will want ot move on to a new "project"
Old 10-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #467
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

This from wiki:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Does the whole "message gets stale" thing happen overnight? Tennessee kicked ass for much of last year.

It is the strangest turnaround I have evr seen.They are the 2008 Tampa Bay Devil Rays in reverse.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #468
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
This.

It happened to Bill Walsh, Chuck Noll, Don Shula, Tom Landry, and perhaps Bill Cowher near the end. 10+ years = message gets stale.

Wouldn't that only apply to players who have been with the coach for 10+ years?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:05 PM   #469
Galaril
Pro Starter

Not saying they ran up the score (Pats) but this journalist had an interesting theory which could hold some merit considering we are talking about a piece of work like Belicheck.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

Last edited by Galaril : 10-19-2009 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #470
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I'm told that if the season were to end today the Jags would be in teh 6 spot as a wild card. That's crazy awesome.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #471
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that nose tackle Kris Jenkins will indeed miss the season with a torn ACL.

Jets are in deep shit with this one.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:07 PM   #472
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Not saying they ran up the score (Pats) but this journalist had an interesting theory which could hold some merit considering we are talking about a piece of work like Belicheck.

What journalist? What?
Old 10-19-2009, 03:08 PM   #473
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Biggest theory about what is wrong with the Titans:

It's the towel. After stomping and blowing their noses with a symbol of another franchise an, btw, sales for charity, the football gods have slammed the Titans with nothing but bad luck and bad games. Football karma.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #474
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
What journalist? What?

Pats' record-setting rout likely no coincidence - NFL - Yahoo! Sports
Old 10-19-2009, 04:41 PM   #475
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Biggest theory about what is wrong with the Titans:

It's the towel. After stomping and blowing their noses with a symbol of another franchise an, btw, sales for charity, the football gods have slammed the Titans with nothing but bad luck and bad games. Football karma.

That was just what I was saying to a coworker this morning. Still hate the Skeelers.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:45 PM   #476
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

That whole article seems like a reach by this "journalist" in trying to come up with some neat story.

In all honesty, haven't we learned by now that the Patriots don't really need a reason to run up the score on anyone. If your defense mails it in, they'll just keep scoring on you until time runs out. Like it or hate it, that is just what they have done for a while now when they are able to.

So fun story to read, but not really very meaningful.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:45 PM   #477
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How important is point differential in the tiebreaker? I think it's like 3rd or 4th. I guess you can't really blame someone for pounding someone else when the tiebreaker could come into play.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:48 PM   #478
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

lol. As much as I'd like to think the Pats can pick and choose when to dump 59 points on someone, it's a bitch of a stretch. They didn't treat them any differently than the teams in '07.

Last edited by jeff061 : 10-19-2009 at 04:48 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:51 PM   #479
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Tom Brady was pulled at 10:13 of the third quarter.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:02 PM   #480
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Redskins new OC is Sherman Lewis.

This is a partial paragraph from the article:

Barely a fortnight ago, Lewis was enjoying retirement in Michigan, calling Bingo games at a senior center and delivering Meals on Wheels. He previously spent 22 years as an NFL assistant before retiring after the 2004 season. The Redskins lured him back into football as a consultant for the struggling offense.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:13 PM   #481
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just for fun, here's the box score for the last 59-0 beatdown in the NFL.
Rams over the Falcons, December 4, 1976
Atlanta Falcons at Los Angeles Rams - December 4th, 1976 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

The Falcons day actually made the Titans look downright productive offensively.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #482
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Tom Brady was pulled at 10:13 of the third quarter.

Yup. They scored one more TD after that with the backup QB running the show, and then nothing in the fourth quarter.

Really this got out of hand in the second quarter, with White fumbling, Collins fumbling, Collins throwing a pick, TEN going 3-and-out twice, and no one on TEN playing defense at all.

I guess you could argue that "4-7-TEN 11 (11:40) (Shotgun) 8-B.Hoyer pass short left to 11-J.Edelman to TEN 6 for 5 yards (33-M.Griffin, 93-K.Vanden Bosch)." should have been a kneeldown instead of going for it, but I'll point out it was a short pass and they passed on the FG attempt. And of course near the end of the game when you're done giving Hoyer reps you have:

Two-Minute Warning
2-6-TEN 33 (2:00) 8-B.Hoyer kneels to TEN 37 for -4 yards.
3-10-TEN 37 (1:19) 8-B.Hoyer kneels to TEN 39 for -2 yards.
4-12-TEN 39 (:39) 8-B.Hoyer kneels to TEN 40 for -1 yards.

If NED had wanted to run up the score, this would have been MUCH worse.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:22 PM   #483
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Redskins new OC is Sherman Lewis.

To my knowledge he is not the "Offensive Coordinator". He is the "play caller." Sherman Smith is the Offensive Coordinator, Jim Zorn is the Head Coach and Sherman Lewis is an "Offensive Consultant."

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:23 PM   #484
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Just for fun, here's the box score for the last 59-0 beatdown in the NFL.
Rams over the Falcons, December 4, 1976
Atlanta Falcons at Los Angeles Rams - December 4th, 1976 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

The Falcons day actually made the Titans look downright productive offensively.

It should have been worse, too: the Rams missed 3 XPs. Of course NED missed an early FG, so I guess they are even.

Oh yeah, and the Rams scored 21 in the fourth quarter.

Last edited by gstelmack : 10-19-2009 at 05:24 PM.
gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #485
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
To my knowledge he is not the "Offensive Coordinator". He is the "play caller." Sherman Smith is the Offensive Coordinator, Jim Zorn is the Head Coach and Sherman Lewis is an "Offensive Consultant."

I looked again, and see my mistake.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:03 PM   #486
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

My pappy used to have a saying: When you have three guys running the offense, you have no guys running the offense.

/Madden
Old 10-19-2009, 07:48 PM   #487
Galaxy
Coordinator

Does Denver really have to wear those uniforms? I like how both teams have the numbers on the helmets.

Last edited by Galaxy : 10-19-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #488
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
That whole article seems like a reach by this "journalist" in trying to come up with some neat story.

In all honesty, haven't we learned by now that the Patriots don't really need a reason to run up the score on anyone. If your defense mails it in, they'll just keep scoring on you until time runs out. Like it or hate it, that is just what they have done for a while now when they are able to.

So fun story to read, but not really very meaningful.

Yeah, totally agree.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:53 PM   #489
TroyF
Coordinator

They were required to wear them twice this season as part of the AFL throwback. Teams can wear those uniforms a maximum of four times and a minimum of two. Most of those teams will wear them four times. This is the second time Denver wears theirs. . . and the last.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:55 PM   #490
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

If I were commissioner for a day and could issue an edict by Fiat, I'd ordain that the Chargers had to wear powder blue in perpetuity

Old 10-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #491
TroyF
Coordinator

Couldn't agree more Abe. Favorite throwback unis out there.

Thank God for Norv. As a Bronco fan, I loved the play calling from the three.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #492
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

So, you have a Pro Bowl QB, who is having another great season so far. You have arguably the best TE in all of football, and also one of the greatest ever in the red zone. Your Running game has been horrible all year. You have the ball 1st and goal at the 5. Easy decision right? let the QB pass the ball - score a TD. Nope lets run it 3 straight plays and fail each time, then score 3, instead of 7.

I swear to god, sometimes these O. Coordinators make my brain go crazy. ARGGGGG

Last edited by k0ruptr : 10-19-2009 at 08:06 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #493
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

WOW

Old 10-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #494
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Sweet, I also love the Jerseys. BTW thats what San Diego deserves for calling stupid ass plays in the red zone, I'm glad they returned that kick for a TD. it also helps I'm starting the Broncos D/ ST in fantasy! woot~!
Old 10-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #495
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Seriously though, That dumbass play calling omg, the chargers are STUPID
Old 10-19-2009, 08:06 PM   #496
bhlloy
Coordinator

Norv Turner needs to die in a fire. Sproles on third down as a goal line back when you have LT and Bennett on the bench, never mind the fact you have the best TE and one of the best big receivers in the league? Fuck off and die you pock faced piece of shit (yes i have been drinking... go angels)
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:07 PM   #497
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Norv Turner needs to die in a fire. Sproles on third down as a goal line back when you have LT and Bennett on the bench, never mind the fact you have the best TE and one of the best big receivers in the league? Fuck off and die you pock faced piece of shit (yes i have been drinking... go angels)

Thanks Lathum.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #498
TroyF
Coordinator

Like I said, as a Broncos fan, I LOVE Norv. Even if he beats the Donkies sometimes, I know he'll give us the best chance to win.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:09 PM   #499
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

Wrong.

Bennett is inactive
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:12 PM   #500
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

LT looks good tonight. First time in awhile.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote